ODFL | Lunch Time

DMT

TB Veteran
Credits
We have been told safety department now says you MUST take a 30 lunch everyday preferred between 3-6 hours and if you work 6 hours after that then you must a second thirty minute lunch. Anybody else hear this and do you have it in writing as in a memo.

city , that is what it sounds like to me also , but , if it is heard elsewhere then it becomes real

This has been a pretty standard industry, and federal procedure for probably 5 plus years in LTL. Can’t believe OD waited this long to enforce it. Take a lunch by your 6th hour, and good for the rest of the shift.

This has been a pretty standard industry, and federal procedure for probably 5 plus years in LTL. Can’t believe OD waited this long to enforce it. Take a lunch by your 6th hour, and good for the rest of the shift.
Begin your lunch at 7:31 and you’re invincible.

Not California,(probably already a standard rule there) just looking to see if any other terminals are hearing this. I don't have a problem with it or anything but it is a major change in my opinion.If city now must take their lunch at or before 6 six hours thats prime time pick and delivery time. Dispatchers will have a stroke

I have never understood why taking a lunch break is such a problem? Seems some come up with every kind of excuse of why it puts them behind, but have no problem sitting at a stop after it is done and playing with their phone for 20 minutes,reading a newspaper, or bs’ing with other drivers....

Master Freight Contract says between the 4th & 6th hour, unless both decide on other times. The DOT Reg's say once you hit 7 & 1/2 worked hours you must take a 30 minute break. I retired 01-01-2016 & they were in effect the day I retired. von.

Yes the rules says take a lunch break, problems starts when local management say don't take one if you don't want to.All or most all our city guys then skipped taking lunch so they could get done faster and go home earlier. The company in the past used to doc 30 a day for your lunch whether you used it or not. This is pre ELD/BLU. Then the company changed that rule and so when local managers told us if we work over 12 we must take a lunch. So, now something or someone has changed again. I don't care either way , but , when pickups are missed or deliveries are brought back someone will care

Yes the rules says take a lunch break, problems starts when local management say don't take one if you don't want to.All or most all our city guys then skipped taking lunch so they could get done faster and go home earlier. The company in the past used to doc 30 a day for your lunch whether you used it or not. This is pre ELD/BLU. Then the company changed that rule and so when local managers told us if we work over 12 we must take a lunch. So, now something or someone has changed again. I don't care either way , but , when pickups are missed or deliveries are brought back someone will care
Amazing how the reg’s & the rule of law is enforced when technology monitors your every move. Insurance companies got tired of paying out millions with no accountability to the driver or company. I am not a big fan of driver facing cameras in the truck or cameras on the dock. Big brother has arrived. Von.

Decades ago workers fought for the right to have meal/rest breaks on a job. Today's workers seem to have their heads up their rear ends by complaining about having those things. Where did we go wrong?

Last edited:
Decades ago workers fought for the right to have meal/rest breaks on a job. Today's workers seem to have their heads up their rear ends by complaining about having those things. Where did we go wrong?
The opportunity to take breaks or not is completely different than not having them available at all. And working conditions (whether delivering mostly palletized freight or running line in a modern truck) are vastly easier on the body.

The opportunity to take breaks or not is completely different than not having them available at all. And working conditions (whether delivering mostly palletized freight or running line in a modern truck) are vastly easier on the body.

Not partaking of a benefit fought for in the past risks losing the ability to continue having that benefit in the future. Anyone regularly working through their lunch time or not taking their breaks so they can "go home" earlier is a pathetic employee in my opinion. Do your job correctly by taking your authorized lunch & breaks and there should be no issues with management or with fellow employees.

When I first started on P&D with Roadway, on Mondays and Tuesdays I would work through my breaks and lunch to get all of my stops off. The rest of the week when slower, I would take my breaks and lunch and get all of my stops off. Then the terminal manager wants to see me. He wants to know why I get thirty delivers done on Monday and Tuesday in eight hours, but the rest of the week I do twenty deliveries in the same amount of time. I tell him what I do and he tells me no, the way you operate on Mondays and Tuesdays is how we want you to operate all week. Thats when I decided to start taking my breaks and lunch every day of the week.

Not partaking of a benefit fought for in the past risks losing the ability to continue having that benefit in the future. Anyone regularly working through their lunch time or not taking their breaks so they can "go home" earlier is a pathetic employee in my opinion. Do your job correctly by taking your authorized lunch & breaks and there should be no issues with management or with fellow employees.
True but managers today are not management of old. Corp officials do things based upon numbers now exclusively. Do you believe safety is the number one thing to corporation now , I don't. They care after money is paid out for a while , then they go back to sleep.
When I first started on P&D with Roadway, on Mondays and Tuesdays I would work through my breaks and lunch to get all of my stops off. The rest of the week when slower, I would take my breaks and lunch and get all of my stops off. Then the terminal manager wants to see me. He wants to know why I get thirty delivers done on Monday and Tuesday in eight hours, but the rest of the week I do twenty deliveries in the same amount of time. I tell him what I do and he tells me no, the way you operate on Mondays and Tuesdays is how we want you to operate all week. Thats when I decided to start taking my breaks and lunch every day of the week.
I always want to do the best i can but things like this is what changes things for me. I used to be a cheerleader for this company but because the way it has become all about the numbers , i am here for the paycheck now. I still do the best i can but i am not a cheerleader anymore.

The old one hour lunch reminds me when we were human