Yellow | Mitch Mcconnell Blocks Pension Vote

Moscow Mitch. Trumps door mat .. he's going to do the same thing to the butch Lewis act. Watch and wait...it's going to happen
these guys are just like kevin mccaffrey ?
OPINIONEDITORIAL
Law to require paid leave to let workers vote on Election Day makes no sense
image.jpg

The new M9 LIRR train on Sept. 10 in Hicksville. Photo Credit: Howard Schnapp

By The Editorial BoardOctober 31, 2019 6:05 PM
PRINT SHARE
All week, voters had the opportunity to head to the polls, with more chances this weekend, too.

So why would they need extra time off on Tuesday to vote? The simple answer: They don't.

Yet, now that Democrats control Albany, a broad new law they enacted allows every worker in New York just that: three hours of paid time off to vote on Election Day. Employees need give their supervisors only 48 hours notice, and they don't need to show they're unable to vote without the time off, prove they voted, or even that they're registered to vote.

The absurd measure, stuffed into the budget and passed in April by the State Legislature and signed by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, makes no sense in light of other smart changes such as early voting. It's not only unnecessary, it's also expensive and disruptive.

We won't know the real workplace impact until next week. But consider the disconcerting possibilities if many train conductors and bus drivers, emergency room doctors and nurses, or police officers and firefighters, all take time off. The alternative, in some cases, seems to be spending taxpayer money to avoid the worst-case scenarios.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority doled out overtime pay to keep Long Island Rail Road trains running on a primary day in June. Now, the MTA has what it hopes is a better plan, offering certain employees four hours of extra pay in exchange for not taking the three hours paid time off on Election Day itself. That could cost taxpayers millions of dollars to keep the trains moving.

The MTA's generosity comes in the context of contract negotiations that have exploded into ugly public rhetoric directed by union leaders at MTA management, most recently at a union rally Wednesday. Perhaps the Election Day incentive was a way to prevent an unofficial work stoppage.

While the MTA's need to maintain train and bus service on Election Day is clear, the extra-pay contingency doesn't bode well for future negotiations. It'll be up to MTA management — and Cuomo — to hold their ground when it comes to much-needed changes to contracts and work rules, even in the face of a strike threat.

Moscow Mitch. Trumps door mat .. he's going to do the same thing to the butch Lewis act. Watch and wait...it's going to happen
I notice no right-wingers on here are defending this. Kind of hard to spin this as anything other then one more chapter in the transfer of wealth from the working class to the billionaire class.

Butch Lewis is over and done unless there is a big shift in electoral politics in 2020.

these guys are just like kevin mccaffrey ?
OPINIONEDITORIAL
Law to require paid leave to let workers vote on Election Day makes no sense
image.jpg

The new M9 LIRR train on Sept. 10 in Hicksville. Photo Credit: Howard Schnapp

By The Editorial BoardOctober 31, 2019 6:05 PM
PRINT SHARE
All week, voters had the opportunity to head to the polls, with more chances this weekend, too.

So why would they need extra time off on Tuesday to vote? The simple answer: They don't.

Yet, now that Democrats control Albany, a broad new law they enacted allows every worker in New York just that: three hours of paid time off to vote on Election Day. Employees need give their supervisors only 48 hours notice, and they don't need to show they're unable to vote without the time off, prove they voted, or even that they're registered to vote.

The absurd measure, stuffed into the budget and passed in April by the State Legislature and signed by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, makes no sense in light of other smart changes such as early voting. It's not only unnecessary, it's also expensive and disruptive.

We won't know the real workplace impact until next week. But consider the disconcerting possibilities if many train conductors and bus drivers, emergency room doctors and nurses, or police officers and firefighters, all take time off. The alternative, in some cases, seems to be spending taxpayer money to avoid the worst-case scenarios.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority doled out overtime pay to keep Long Island Rail Road trains running on a primary day in June. Now, the MTA has what it hopes is a better plan, offering certain employees four hours of extra pay in exchange for not taking the three hours paid time off on Election Day itself. That could cost taxpayers millions of dollars to keep the trains moving.

The MTA's generosity comes in the context of contract negotiations that have exploded into ugly public rhetoric directed by union leaders at MTA management, most recently at a union rally Wednesday. Perhaps the Election Day incentive was a way to prevent an unofficial work stoppage.

While the MTA's need to maintain train and bus service on Election Day is clear, the extra-pay contingency doesn't bode well for future negotiations. It'll be up to MTA management — and Cuomo — to hold their ground when it comes to much-needed changes to contracts and work rules, even in the face of a strike threat.
How about Charlie?

I notice no right-wingers on here are defending this. Kind of hard to spin this as anything other then one more chapter in the transfer of wealth from the working class to the billionaire class.

Butch Lewis is over and done unless there is a big shift in electoral politics in 2020.
Why would anyone defend the Butch Lewis Act/Bailout? Even tho it would help me, even the Dems who wrote it say it won’t solve the problem. And it’s not supposed to be the job of the Federal Government Taxpayers to bail out my private pension. You have strange thoughts if you believe Butch Lewis helps billionaires...

If you are counting on elections shifting things in DC, don’t hold your breath waiting on more Dem Control. With the Dems hiding in secret impeachment meetings in the basement, I’m expecting major Repub wins ahead!

Maybe no one wants to pay for pensions they are not getting. Not a right or left issue.
I don't want to pay for Chicago Teachers or your pension. fend for your self...
The teamsters once controlled this industry, they had their moment. It is now gone.
Nothing to do with billionaires, no one in this industry is making billions. No one wants to pay for pensions that were mismanaged by thieves.
Debate that with the union... They destroyed the pension.... not the taxpayers.
Good news is your Democrats may win in 2020 and you will get your free healthcare. You employer will be off the hook and you can pay for it yourself with the Democrats new 81% income tax for the Middle Class and in addition a European style 24% VAT tax on every single thing you buy.. but leftist will tell you it's free.
You seem to like this....

enjoy....

Why would anyone defend the Butch Lewis Act/Bailout? Even tho it would help me, even the Dems who wrote it say it won’t solve the problem. And it’s not supposed to be the job of the Federal Government Taxpayers to bail out my private pension. You have strange thoughts if you believe Butch Lewis helps billionaires...

If you are counting on elections shifting things in DC, don’t hold your breath waiting on more Dem Control. With the Dems hiding in secret impeachment meetings in the basement, I’m expecting major Repub wins ahead!
Your boy is done , impeachment or lost election either way he is toast .

Mitch is Chump & Loser , what we need is somebody with real power like Hillary on our side, to save our pensions !!!
6631a513e59d246983e57fa36711b04e.jpg

I wouldnt voluntarily invest in the cspf with Thomas Nyhan still mismanaging our money.as long as he is there i wouldnt let him guard my piggy bank.Crooks ill tell ya

1. By "defend this" I mean defend Moscow mitch's actions.

2. The Butch Lewis act will cost the taxpayers nothing-- unlike the bankers' bailout.

I haven't looked at the details, but I assume it's similar to Bernie's pension solution which consists of government loans to sure-up the pension until enough of the old truckers who are currently retired go to the happy truck stop in the sky. At which point the 5 to 1 imbalance is corrected and the fund is solvent again, at which point it would pay the loans back.

3. Cancelling pensions has very much helped the billionaire class -- since deregulating the economy wealth-inequality has exploded.

4. It is the government's problem to solve this problem because government is what caused this problem. That's where the Pension Guarantee program came from -- every one in government knew that deregulation was going to lower wages and kill pensions. But now with unions busted and the working class so powerless they aren't even going to fund the pension Guarantee. Instead we get another round of tax cuts for billionaires -- after we bailed them out. if you don't realize that the working class is getting hustled, I don't know what to say.

Maybe no one wants to pay for pensions they are not getting. Not a right or left issue.
I don't want to pay for Chicago Teachers or your pension. fend for your self...
The teamsters once controlled this industry, they had their moment. It is now gone.
Nothing to do with billionaires, no one in this industry is making billions. No one wants to pay for pensions that were mismanaged by thieves.
Debate that with the union... They destroyed the pension.... not the taxpayers.
Good news is your Democrats may win in 2020 and you will get your free healthcare. You employer will be off the hook and you can pay for it yourself with the Democrats new 81% income tax for the Middle Class and in addition a European style 24% VAT tax on every single thing you buy.. but leftist will tell you it's free.
You seem to like this....

enjoy....
Woe there cowboy! Come up for air.

2. The Butch Lewis act will cost the taxpayers nothing-- unlike the bankers' bailout.

I haven't looked at the details, but I assume it's similar to Bernie's pension solution which consists of government loans to sure-up the pension until enough of the old truckers who are currently retired go to the happy truck stop in the sky. At which point the 5 to 1 imbalance is corrected and the fund is solvent again, at which point it would pay the loans back.

3. Cancelling pensions has very much helped the billionaire class -- since deregulating the economy wealth-inequality has exploded.

4. It is the government's problem to solve this problem because government is what caused this problem. That's where the Pension Guarantee program came from -- every one in government knew that deregulation was going to lower wages and kill pensions. But now with unions busted and the working class so powerless they aren't even going to fund the pension Guarantee. Instead we get another round of tax cuts for billionaires -- after we bailed them out. if you don't realize that the working class is getting hustled, I don't know what to say.

the banks paid 100% back in less than 2 years. Will the Teamsters Union pay back in less than 2 years? Hoping people die is not a strategy.
You seem to trust Bernie, or perhaps you admire that he got away with stealing the $5 million from the college....
#3 Democrats 'deregulated the economy' ask Jimmy Carter why he did it in 1980. Then vote for more Democrats..
#4 the union lobbied hard for MEPPA, they got it. By the way I got a tax cut, if billionaires did as well, fine. I am not jealous like you.
Obama was going to 'make them pay their fair share' what happened to his Hope & Change?? Oops, he is well on his way to being a billionaire, that's what happened...….

Funny how the right wingers start worrying about budgets, bailouts and deficits when helping working people is discussed but when tax breaks for the wealthy donors is on the table they can’t fill out those credit card applications fast enough. Like Dick Cheney said “Reagan proved deficits don’t matter “

To set up a new bureau, and borrow the money to lend, it’ll cost the USA more than $100 Billion, and that’s a Conservative estimate.

The rest of your BS is just that- made up BS...

Funny how the right wingers start worrying about budgets, bailouts and deficits when helping working people is discussed but when tax breaks for the wealthy donors is on the table they can’t fill out those credit card applications fast enough. Like Dick Cheney said “Reagan proved deficits don’t matter “
The Reagan taxcuts brought 2 1/2 times as much tax revenue to the US Treasury than had the cuts not happened. The problem wasn’t the taxcuts- it was increased Federal Spending...

Once again which party deregulated the trucking & airline industries and didn't the same Democrat Party sign NAFTA???
Remember Obama in 2008 on a podium with Hoffa Jr swearing how Obama was going to renegotiate NAFTA because it killed working people and their communities??? What exactly did Obama do about NAFTA??? Oh yea he allowed Mexican carriers into the USA. Up to 20,000 of them.....
Once again , who renegotiated NAFTA???? I think his name is Trump... No wonder Democrats need to get rid of him...
Shut your darn TV off, you take orders from it...

The Reagan taxcuts brought 2 1/2 times as much tax revenue to the US Treasury than had the cuts not happened. The problem wasn’t the taxcuts- it was increased Federal Spending...
Reagan’s tax cuts DECREASED revenue by 6% blowing a hole in the budget thus the 4 tax increases that followed from 83-87.