SAIA | More layoffs coming 11-20

XPO recently had a company wide layoff. If you watch some of the key economic indicators, manufacturing is trending downward. Last time something like that happened was 08-09 and Saia had a lay-off. And the first place they look is to drivers and dock - not middle management. Based on firsthand and now outside viewpoints, Saia looks to be pretty “fat” when it comes to middle management. Too many people who either don’t know what they are doing or are completely unqualified in the first place. If I worked there still, I’d be preparing for the worst. They figure drivers are a dime a dozen, and a lay-off until the market stabilizes is easiest when you target drivers. That’s the Saia way. Best of luck folks. BTW...there are some great rates to be had if you want to lease/purchase your own rig

XPO recently had a company wide layoff. If you watch some of the key economic indicators, manufacturing is trending downward. Last time something like that happened was 08-09 and Saia had a lay-off. And the first place they look is to drivers and dock - not middle management. Based on firsthand and now outside viewpoints, Saia looks to be pretty “fat” when it comes to middle management. Too many people who either don’t know what they are doing or are completely unqualified in the first place. If I worked there still, I’d be preparing for the worst. They figure drivers are a dime a dozen, and a lay-off until the market stabilizes is easiest when you target drivers. That’s the Saia way. Best of luck folks. BTW...there are some great rates to be had if you want to lease/purchase your own rig
You do realize this post is from 2015! We just hired 4 linehaul and 2 city drivers at our center.

You should not automatically assume that hiring more drivers is an indication of solid work, at least not here. SAIA is smart enough to figure out that when they start cutting drivers(and they already are), some will bail out and they’ll already have a driver to fill his spot. Kinda smart think ahead approach.

You should not automatically assume that hiring more drivers is an indication of solid work, at least not here. SAIA is smart enough to figure out that when they start cutting drivers(and they already are), some will bail out and they’ll already have a driver to fill his spot. Kinda smart think ahead approach.
Where are the cutting drivers?

Train when you were a city driver and you got cut for the day? You already on Bud Lite it's not 5 o'clock in DFW.
No, I’m waiting until 5 .... Since I’ve retired I suppose I have a different perspective. If no work is available it’s better to spread the pain around and not go solely by seniority. It’s better than a layoff. Layoffs should be the last resort. But sometimes they are inevitable when lanes or routes go dead. No one likes to see someone lose their job. Some guys are just so selfish and don’t care about anyone but themselves. Everyone should suffer a little so some don’t suffer a lot.

Hope it stays that way. For your sake. Layoffs are bad. As for me .... I’m planning for deer season. Life is good in retirement.

I used to always volunteer for a lay-off in the fall for deer season at my previous job. Retirement would be so much better but I’ve got a long way to go. Hell, breese may be counting on some of my SS contributions, that ol rattlesnake.

I used to always volunteer for a lay-off in the fall for deer season at my previous job. Retirement would be so much better but I’ve got a long way to go. Hell, breese may be counting on some of my SS contributions, that ol rattlesnake.
That Ole rattlesnake is out of venom. He wouldn’t kill you but I wouldn’t turn my back on Breeze. He would bite you just for hell of it as long as he has his dentures in.

For sure, when CS goes broke, I want help from you and Train, keep your SS contributions coming in.

mkpE5cs.jpg

Train, I just go in the backyard for groceries, turkeys or deer, don't need to watch for snakes

There hasn’t been an actual layoff since 08-09 as far as I’m aware of, I’m talking random cuts when there’s no freight. It happens twice a year.
Well GEZZZZZ driver that happens all year long with every ltl. Some city and linehaul drivers don't work a couple days a week. You act like it's some massive layoff. I'm sticking with my guns you and retired the one are crap stirrers and full of BS!