Yellow | More LTL carriers may follow AAA Cooper to the altar, consultant says

Way to spin something I never said.
Drivers are qualified to do the drop and hooks. The clock is still running on hours while they sit and wait. YRC is in a hole, it's time to stop digging. The only way out is to increase productivity and efficiency. Rates are competitive and can't be raised. Yellow has no control over the cost of fuel, equipment and debt service. The only controllable expense is labor. Saving just a dollar a week on 26,000 employees is 1.3 million a year. How is YRC to become profitable and offer job security if they can't cut labor costs?
Maybe go back to a proven model in the Holland era. President, Vice President, Terminal manager.
No velocity centers kick and pick freight and supervisor held accountable. Drivers that were taken care of in return took pride in their work.
Holland force loaded pedals, didn’t cube out line haul and had lowest claims in industry and had a solid operating ratio with top pay drive and bennies. It can be done, just need to get back to basics and stop reinventing the wheel.

I am constantly accused of the " I got mine, screw you" mentality. When trucking was regulated and profits were guaranteed, the old rules worked. It's not 1980 anymore. Companies can no longer tell the government that they need higher rates because of higher labor costs. The primary job of the union is job security. Job security only exists when a company is productive and profitable.
I asked this once before and you didn't answer....so here goes, if you are constantly accused of something don't you think it could be true? Indeed it is no longer 1980 so that begs the question, did you get most of your years before or after deregulation? I already know the answer to that so I don't understand the constant bashing because others expect the same things that you received...I know what your answer will be to that though..so I guess my next question is did you tell the members this when you were in power? Oh yeah that's right you had an election to win...

I asked this once before and you didn't answer....so here goes, if you are constantly accused of something don't you think it could be true? Indeed it is no longer 1980 so that begs the question, did you get most of your years before or after deregulation? I already know the answer to that so I don't understand the constant bashing because others expect the same things that you received...I know what your answer will be to that though..so I guess my next question is did you tell the members this when you were in power? Oh yeah that's right you had an election to win...
Actually, we did tell our members exactly that. Much like Yellow, Preston Trucking made poor business decisions. Preston saw an "opportunity" to enter into the deregulated market. They created Preston Corp. as a holding company and started two new companies, Frontier was a truckload carrier and Pioneer, a flatbed steel hauler.
By 1990, the effects of deregulation were becoming obvious. Preston needed an 11% wage reduction. IBT reviewed the books and it was up to local unions to sell it to the members. Several years later, the wage reduction became 9% but Preston wanted work rule changes that our members would not accept. Preston died and everyone lost their jobs in August 1999.
It was surprising that after watching McClean, Halls, Interstate, Cooper Jarret, Warner-Smith and others in Western Pa. go under, that Preston people were so adamant that the company was hiding money and just out to screw them. Sound familiar?

Actually, we did tell our members exactly that. Much like Yellow, Preston Trucking made poor business decisions. Preston saw an "opportunity" to enter into the deregulated market. They created Preston Corp. as a holding company and started two new companies, Frontier was a truckload carrier and Pioneer, a flatbed steel hauler.
By 1990, the effects of deregulation were becoming obvious. Preston needed an 11% wage reduction. IBT reviewed the books and it was up to local unions to sell it to the members. Several years later, the wage reduction became 9% but Preston wanted work rule changes that our members would not accept. Preston died and everyone lost their jobs in August 1999.
It was surprising that after watching McClean, Halls, Interstate, Cooper Jarret, Warner-Smith and others in Western Pa. go under, that Preston people were so adamant that the company was hiding money and just out to screw them. Sound familiar?
Please don't make me look for your post where you said that your local wouldn't be honest with members because of being worried about re-election chances, I can do it but please don't make me waste my time....I would like to know the time I said anyone was hiding money...sure some believe that but I think the vast majority do not....I do like that you acknowledge that Yellow has made bad decisions though....still no answer on do you think if you are "constantly" accused of something if it isn't possibly true... you have talked about being a millionaire on here, and I'm truly happy for you, as I am any working man achieving that, but don't you think with nearly 700k collected in pension money that you had a big head start on most other people? That is why I think you have the I got mine mentality...

Please don't make me look for your post where you said that your local wouldn't be honest with members because of being worried about re-election chances, I can do it but please don't make me waste my time....I would like to know the time I said anyone was hiding money...sure some believe that but I think the vast majority do not....I do like that you acknowledge that Yellow has made bad decisions though....still no answer on do you think if you are "constantly" accused of something if it isn't possibly true... you have talked about being a millionaire on here, and I'm truly happy for you, as I am any working man achieving that, but don't you think with nearly 700k collected in pension money that you had a big head start on most other people? That is why I think you have the I got mine mentality...
Local officers serve at the will of the membership. We work for them. We don't tell them what to do, they tell us. They tell us every three years if they don't like what they hear. Yes, there was a lot of election fear. Most local officers had no job to go back to because their former companies were no longer in business. They knew first hand what changes needed to be made but the rank and file never wants to hear it as evidenced by the 600+ union companies no longer with us and the two remaining on life support.

YRC is in a hole because of very poor management. Not because of labor cost. Zollars put them in the hole by buying up companies at inflated prices with money that was borrowed. And in case you did not know it, there are plenty of drivers that are qualified to do dock work. In fact, a lot of them were dock and city guys before they became road drivers. Some were at one time Utility drivers. And I was not spinning anything. I was simply giving you an example of how ridiculous your idea was to do away with hostlers and let road drivers do that work. Like Hookman stated, the road drivers already do their own drop and hooks at dark terminals as there is no one there to drop and hook them. And like LTL1 stated in post #72, ABF, UPS (T-Force), and other freight companies, union and non-union use hostlers to drop and hook and are making money. If your idea was so good, don't you think the non-unions would have already done away with hostling jobs and had the road drivers drop and hook their own sets all of the time? A driver only has so many hours in a day to drive. They certainly do not need to waste driving hours and delay freight by dropping and hooking their own set every time. Especially when a qualified hostler can do it much quicker and already have their set ready to go for them when they arrive.
Well my friend I’m not so sure about that, at Old Dominion you will drop you’re sad put the lead away and re-hook your new set. The jockey is there to put inbound rear trailers in at times and move trailers throughout the yard they are not there to hook units for you at all maybe that’s One reason they operate in the 70s just a guess though 8000 road drivers Saving to three hours a night it’s up to millions my friend

Local officers serve at the will of the membership. We work for them. We don't tell them what to do, they tell us. They tell us every three years if they don't like what they hear. Yes, there was a lot of election fear. Most local officers had no job to go back to because their former companies were no longer in business. They knew first hand what changes needed to be made but the rank and file never wants to hear it as evidenced by the 600+ union companies no longer with us and the two remaining on life support.
Still no answer on the constantly being accused of something don't you think it is possibly true? I had no idea my employer is "on life support" I thought I read we just recorded a 90 OR.... but I must be mistaken... of course many of the union companies you are talking about had the disadvantage of having spent millions of dollars for operating authority only to have the government give the upstart nons a nice gift of not needing authority, giving them a huge advantage... you don't mention it because it hurts your arguments...and a lot of the blame falls on officials not leveling with the membership... but you got to stay in power that's all that matters...

Well my friend I’m not so sure about that, at Old Dominion you will drop you’re sad put the lead away and re-hook your new set. The jockey is there to put inbound rear trailers in at times and move trailers throughout the yard they are not there to hook units for you at all maybe that’s One reason they operate in the 70s just a guess though 8000 road drivers Saving to three hours a night it’s up to millions my friend
Does OD have larger terminals that are open 24 hours a day (breakbulks/service centers)? As already stated, this is where ABF has hostler on duty to already have the road driver hooked and ready to go. At dark terminals, the road drivers do their own drop and hook. Bear in mind, we are not hooking Utility/Velocity drivers, only road drivers. They may not do this at OD’s larger terminals, but I know that a lot of freight companies do. And, not to be a smart azz, but I think the biggest reason OD has an OR in the 70’s is due to the fact that they don’t pay overtime until after 60 hours in most of their areas. I know that is fixing to change to 50 hours soon, but ABF pays overtime after 8 hours a day. I would rather get that overtime pay as opposed to the company keeping it. But that is just me.

Exactly which two are on life support? I hope you don't mean ABF being one of them. If so, you had better do a little more research there Blade. ABF has made over $300 million over the last three years and it looks like this year may be our most profitable year yet. Unless the all wise Razorblade knows something the rest of us don't know.