Yellow | More LTL carriers may follow AAA Cooper to the altar, consultant says

$ 300 million in 3 years and 90 OR. 13,000 employees makes that 300 million less than $150 profit per week per employee. Operating profit is pre tax and before a single truck, trailer of forklift is purchased.
Still no answer on the constantly being accused of something don't you think it is possibly true? Of course it's true! I worked at a time when the free healthcare and 6 weeks vacation and double paying for work were sustainable. Now those things are not viable if companies have to compete with other carriers that don't offer those benefits. I never complained when Western Pa. cut my pension by 30%. It was necessary to save the fund. 70% is better than nothing. Most Teamsters don't want to think long term. It's all about the next paycheck.
"and a lot of the blame falls on officials not leveling with the membership..." And the membership says, we are not giving up anything because ABF made 300 million dollars and the CEO is paid too much. 90 OR, terrific. ABF only needed 3 billion in revenue to reach 300 million in operating profit.
Nobody spent millions of dollars to get operating authority. That might have been the value in 1980 dollars but much of that authority was given to the legacy carriers. You seem to forget that deregulation allowed every company to operate freely. ABF could open terminals anywhere without having to buyout another company for the "rights". Before deregulation, few carriers had intrastate rights. After deregulation, everyone could pickup and deliver within the same state opening new markets to the union carriers.
Yellow bought Preston in 1992 when Preston was a week away from not being able to make payroll. After a 9% wage reduction and an infusion of capital, Preston was profitable in 1993. It was a big deal. OR in '93 was 93. Six year later, the doors closed. ABF Teamsters have an opportunity to secure their future. My guess is that they will demand more and more until the golden goose is dead.

Yellow bought Preston in 1992 when Preston was a week away from not being able to make payroll. After a 9% wage reduction and an infusion of capital, Preston was profitable in 1993. It was a big deal. OR in '93 was 93. Six year later, the doors closed. ABF Teamsters have an opportunity to secure their future. My guess is that they will demand more and more until the golden goose is dead.
A few posts back (#94), you mentioned that Preston purchased truckload carrier Frontier and flat bed steel hauler Pioneer. Was it possible that these two companies that Preston purchased was more debt than they could handle. Meaning, would Preston still have been "just a pay check away from closing" back in 1992 had they not purchased these other two companies?

Wow...RB, that is a heck of a post......so how much profit should the 7th biggest LTL make? You have heard of the race to the bottom right? How much can we give up to the company to get the OR down to a 75, I hope that number is low enough for you....When we do that dont you think the other companies are going to take from their employees? Then perhaps we can give even more...I never complained when my accrual was cut either, but the difference here is I'm still contributing and didnt collect nearly 700k, it's much easier to take a stand like yours when you have collected more than what you paid into a fund...I dont think you understood the statement about authority...if a company spent a million dollars to buy a company for its operating authority, then a year later anyone can operate in that area, it puts them at a huge disadvantage because they still owe that money, and the upstart does not...do you understand the disadvantage now?

Wow...RB, that is a heck of a post......so how much profit should the 7th biggest LTL make? You have heard of the race to the bottom right? How much can we give up to the company to get the OR down to a 75, I hope that number is low enough for you....When we do that dont you think the other companies are going to take from their employees? Then perhaps we can give even more...I never complained when my accrual was cut either, but the difference here is I'm still contributing and didnt collect nearly 700k, it's much easier to take a stand like yours when you have collected more than what you paid into a fund...I dont think you understood the statement about authority...if a company spent a million dollars to buy a company for its operating authority, then a year later anyone can operate in that area, it puts them at a huge disadvantage because they still owe that money, and the upstart does not...do you understand the disadvantage now?
Like, like, like, like, etc.............. Very well said 381.

I'm getting bored with this topic!
If YRC is still hanging in there ABF should be able to hang in there for another 30 or 40 years. You know OD was at 72 last quarter but if you figured that out per man after expenses.....well the fat lady is probably about ready to sing!

$ 300 million in 3 years and 90 OR. 13,000 employees makes that 300 million less than $150 profit per week per employee. Operating profit is pre tax and before a single truck, trailer of forklift is purchased.
Now that you put it that way I'm grossly undercompensated....I work as little overtime as possible so I make about 70k a year...so 70,000/150.....my manager makes (guessing) 110,00/150......our CEO (too lazy to look it up, so guessing) 2,000,000.00/150...damn I'm undercompensated....so I'm much more valuable...lol

A few posts back (#94), you mentioned that Preston purchased truckload carrier Frontier and flat bed steel hauler Pioneer. Was it possible that these two companies that Preston purchased was more debt than they could handle. Meaning, would Preston still have been "just a pay check away from closing" back in 1992 had they not purchased these other two companies?
No they probably would not. They undoubtedly would have lasted years longer and maybe even survived today. None of that matters. It did not matter then and it doesn't matter now. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. It matters not how YRC got here, it's what you do now to save it that matters. The past cannot be changed, only the future is ours to control. Make the tough choices or do nothing and let YRC become one of the 600+.

I don't know how much profit they should make. How much should a driver make? How much is too much and who gets to decide? You?
Let's be clear, nobody gives anything back to the company. It's not yours to give. I was not paid the full rate and then wrote a check to Preston Trucking for 9%. You, the employee, can choose or refuse to work for the amount you are paid. Any worker, in any industry, is entitled to as much as he can get. If you are worth more money, go somewhere else and get it.
The reason those 600+ companies failed is basic economics. Costs exceeded revenue. There are only two remedies to remain a viable profitable business, increase revenue or cut costs. The competitive free market sets the rates and the revenue. Therefore, survival requires cost cutting. It's no more complicated than that. Blame anyone or anything you want. Bad management, Zollars, deregulation, the government, the only things that matter are costs and revenue. Can YRC double their rates to cover costs? No, they cannot. They have to reduce costs to survive. It's as simple as that.

No they probably would not. They undoubtedly would have lasted years longer and maybe even survived today. None of that matters. It did not matter then and it doesn't matter now. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. It matters not how YRC got here, it's what you do now to save it that matters. The past cannot be changed, only the future is ours to control. Make the tough choices or do nothing and let YRC become one of the 600+.
So you are all for letting big business take risks and letting the workers suffer with pay cuts and benefit reductions from it? Suppose Yellow did accept more pay and benefit cuts to keep the company afloat. What’s to keep the next Zollars from coming in and making poor decisions all over again? There has to be some accountability at the top instead of $12 million dollar bonuses for nearly bankrupting a company making bad, risky decisions at the workers expense!!!

I don't know how much profit they should make. How much should a driver make? How much is too much and who gets to decide? You?
Let's be clear, nobody gives anything back to the company. It's not yours to give. I was not paid the full rate and then wrote a check to Preston Trucking for 9%. You, the employee, can choose or refuse to work for the amount you are paid. Any worker, in any industry, is entitled to as much as he can get. If you are worth more money, go somewhere else and get it.
I never said I should decide, I was asking you if you thought they made enough with a historic second quarter...in the situation you are describing yes, in fact I would be giving back as I would be voluntarily taking a reduction, doesn't matter if I was writing a check or not....you like to mention about the 9% you gave to Preston, but you forget that ABF Teamsters gave a 7% reduction in a 2013 concessionary contract, A weeks vacation for five years, and 5 minutes off of our 15 minute breaks even now almost ten years later.....

So you are all for letting big business take risks and letting the workers suffer with pay cuts and benefit reductions from it? Suppose Yellow did accept more pay and benefit cuts to keep the company afloat. What’s to keep the next Zollars from coming in and making poor decisions all over again? There has to be some accountability at the top instead of $12 million dollar bonuses for nearly bankrupting a company making bad, risky decisions at the workers expense!!!
Risk v Reward. The pension funds took no risk. They invested with banks and bonds and "safe" investments. Had they invested in a simple S&P index fund, there would be no pension crisis.
Jeff Bezos made a risky decision. He put his last dollar into a crazy idea to sell books over the internet and Amazon was born.
To date, workers have lost nothing. No pay checks have bounced. Their agreed to wages and benefits are being paid. If those workers feel like they can do better they are free to move on. The victim card does not work here. If the house is on fire, get out. The only losers are the shareholder owners of the company who actually risked something.

I never said I should decide, I was asking you if you thought they made enough with a historic second quarter...in the situation you are describing yes, in fact I would be giving back as I would be voluntarily taking a reduction, doesn't matter if I was writing a check or not....you like to mention about the 9% you gave to Preston, but you forget that ABF Teamsters gave a 7% reduction in a 2013 concessionary contract, A weeks vacation for five years, and 5 minutes off of our 15 minute breaks even now almost ten years later.....
I gave Preston nothing! I accepted what they were willing to pay. I could have left at any time.

Risk v Reward. The pension funds took no risk. They invested with banks and bonds and "safe" investments. Had they invested in a simple S&P index fund, there would be no pension crisis.
Jeff Bezos made a risky decision. He put his last dollar into a crazy idea to sell books over the internet and Amazon was born.
To date, workers have lost nothing. No pay checks have bounced. Their agreed to wages and benefits are being paid. If those workers feel like they can do better they are free to move on. The victim card does not work here. If the house is on fire, get out. The only losers are the shareholder owners of the company who actually risked something.
That doesn't coincide with what you said here...what is the truth? They weren't allowed to do so. https://www.truckingboards.com/bb/posts/1682734/

Are you really going to sit there and tell me that with only two remaining contributors left, and one of them only contributing a portion, that there would have been no pension crisis? There are over four people drawing a pension from Central States for every one person paying in. I don’t care what kind of investments you are in, that is unsustainable. And it was caused by deregulation and bad decisions by people like Zollars that put us here.

Ok...so let me get this straight... when an executive makes bad decisions it is "should, woulda, coulda"... no big deal.....when the teamsters dont give in to massive concessions (thereby accelerating the race to the bottom) its those greedy teamsters.....Wow.....now I see why you boasted of being a grunt by choice when Preston offered you management opportunities...

Last edited:
Here is a thought has Amazon ever used the United States Post office to deliver its small packages? Isn’t the USPS in financial troubles?
Isn’t the USPS government owned?
Isn’t that a form of government subsidized?
Oh wait guess who parachuted in with there golden parachute…………… That’s right the one and only Willam Zollars to save the day.

Here is another thought how much carbon footprint are all those little blue and gray trucks leaving going around delivering crap paper and toothpaste to homes in country for “online shopping convenience “ Not a tree hugger just a common sense question.

I bet you can buy razor blades in bulk from Amazon along with a some crap paper, there sure are alot of ways you cut and spew the sh…………..

Ok...so let me get this straight... when an executive makes bad decisions it is "should, woulda, coulda"... no big deal.....when the teamsters dont give in to massive concessions (thereby accelerating the race to the bottom) its those greedy teamsters.....Wow.....now I see why you boasted of being a grunt by choice when Preston offered you management opportunities...
C'mon, you are smarter than that. I said none of that crap.
I said, it makes no difference how we got here. We are here now and have to deal with the situation today not focus on the past.
Zollars could be tarred, feathered and hanged in the courthouse square. Jimmy Carter could be thrown in prison for deregulation. 600+ union carriers would still be gone and FedEx Freight would still be the largest LTL carrier in the country. Deal with today's reality. If YRC doesn't get competitive, if YRC can't reduce their cost structure, 26,000 YRC employees will be out of a job by 2025. How many of them will ABF hire? How many will have to compete for jobs at non union companies and how many never again reach the level of compensation they enjoy today at YRC.