Yellow | My observations

y\Yes the tombstone caused the rush for the exits by Yellow shippers. The bill count drop was incredible once the genius posted the Yellow Tombstone meme.
On top of archaic work rules the company was doomed. Jack Welsh in his best days could not manage Yellow.
Of course the "Fork Freight Friday" "pay the rate or lock the gate" or " No Road Drivers will ever work the dock" crowd sealed Yellows fate.
Puff, we actually agree on this! My favorite was the freight that had "Do not double stack" pyramids on it. If it says "Do not double stack" that DOES NOT mean it's OK to triple-stack it, smashing the pyramid in the process. I saw exactly that more times than I can remember.

There is probably 25 or so significant LTL carriers. Depending on the definition of significant.
The remaining carriers after deregulation competed by their value to customers . That is a combination of price, service, quality, dependability, technology, representation, compliance, safety, equipment, capacity as well as other items.
Union carriers rarely offer value to shippers, hence the failure rate.
Your point of not needing many carriers is well taken. The remaining carriers are so good they have exceeded customers needs and offer the services customers are looking for. These carriers are flexible, lean, efficient and profitable. Something unions carriers fail miserably at.

I have stated on here many times that the complexity of LTL makes any resurrection of Yellow nearly impossible. Unless there is a compelling reason to shift from current carriers, customers will not move business in the current LTL market.

Ms Sarah's company nearly failed at hauling cars, their core business. I don't see them successful in LTL....
This is a diversion to get folks like you to talk about something other than the disaster caused by SOB and the teamster union. Killing 30,000 jobs borders on criminal.
Criminal? Where do you stand on company fraud and embezzlement? In all my 30+ years in this field it’s rare that a manager or owner takes responsibility. They’re professionals so it just couldn’t be them, right? Why should your thinking be any different? The only diversion I see here is your focus on re-directing attention from the management responsibility (which is where this all started in the first place) and shift it towards the union. I’d cover my ass too if I knew deep down I was involved. The truth will come out soon enough and I want a front row seat.

Puff, we actually agree on this! My favorite was the freight that had "Do not double stack" pyramids on it. If it says "Do not double stack" that DOES NOT mean it's OK to triple-stack it, smashing the pyramid in the process. I saw exactly that more times than I can remember.
A lot of carriers do silly things like that, it's also human behavior. Quality comes once a carrier is running well and trying to finesse the operation.
The problem with Yellow was they were always a step away from death. Worrying about quality was the furthest notion on their minds.
The work rules constricted the company to the point that they never generated profits.

Criminal? Where do you stand on company fraud and embezzlement? In all my 30+ years in this field it’s rare that a manager or owner takes responsibility. They’re professionals so it just couldn’t be them, right? Why should your thinking be any different? The only diversion I see here is your focus on re-directing attention from the management responsibility (which is where this all started in the first place) and shift it towards the union. I’d cover my ass too if I knew deep down I was involved. The truth will come out soon enough and I want a front row seat.
If found guilty, any person embezzling should be jailed. Why not?
I believe the managers kept Yellow alive far beyond what its lifespan should have been.
I don't know how a company can remain in business without generating any profits for 15 plus years. They'd sell off properties a quarter at a time just to generate net income.
Perhaps the senior managers should be jailed for keeping this deadbeat company alive...
or write a book...

I believe the managers kept Yellow alive far beyond what its lifespan should have been.
I don't know how a company can remain in business without generating any profits for 15 plus years. They'd sell off properties a quarter at a time just to generate net income.
Perhaps the senior managers should be jailed for keeping this deadbeat company alive...
or write a book...
Share with us what how the 15% wage reduction and the 75% nonpayment pension contributions benefited Yellow?

y\Yes the tombstone caused the rush for the exits by Yellow shippers. The bill count drop was incredible once the genius posted the Yellow Tombstone meme.
On top of archaic work rules the company was doomed. Jack Welsh in his best days could not manage Yellow.
Of course the "Fork Freight Friday" "pay the rate or lock the gate" or " No Road Drivers will ever work the dock" crowd sealed Yellows fate.
Wrong....the mass exodus from shippers was when they failed to make health and welfare payments and the Union threatened a strike......they were losing freight before that also..

If the bank reduces your monthly mortgage payment by 15% and the power company cuts your electric bill by 75% how does that benefit you?
I didn’t see that in his post, maybe I misread it. All I read was management this, management that. Was wondering if he knew there were other contributors into saving that company besides management. He may have not been aware that union members made a contribution into saving that company.

or write a book...
And what act did they specifically do to keep the company in business all that time? They never had any of their own solutions so who did they ask for help from, several times? It would have folded if the members would’ve said no for any one of those instances.

I didn’t see that in his post, maybe I misread it. All I read was management this, management that. Was wondering if he knew there were other contributors into saving that company besides management. He may have not been aware that union members made a contribution into saving that company.
I simply answered the question you asked in your post. :idunno:

And what act did they specifically do to keep the company in business all that time? They never had any of their own solutions so who did they ask for help from, several times? It would have folded if the members would’ve said no for any one of those instances.
How many times could we ask the banks and power companies for assistance before they finally say “enough”?
Management after Zollars was forced to operate under adverse conditions because of the heavy debt burden. They helped keep the company going which in turn kept many thousands employed even if the compensation was reduced (as voted on and accepted by those employees). The banks had no problem providing Yellow with loans as long as certain efficiency improvements were made. Banks don't make money by not lending.

Management after Zollars was forced to operate under adverse conditions because of the heavy debt burden. They helped keep the company going which in turn kept many thousands employed even if the compensation was reduced (as voted on and accepted by those employees). The banks had no problem providing Yellow with loans as long as certain efficiency improvements were made. Banks don't make money by not lending.
We all didn't vote yes for the concessions.. Some of us they rammed down our throats and in other cases old Yella threatened to close facilities if concessions were not accepted and they were pushed by Hoffa Jr and company.. As far as the banks.. Never heard anything about yellow missing any interest payments .. Yellow was a cash cow for the banks..

Exactly! The employees agreed and accepted those reductions, several times. Every time the execs begged for more money from the banks they responded with more stipulations. I’ll ask you one more time, how many chances should be given?

or write a book...
A book titled
Destroying a Company-for Dummies.