FedEx Freight | new changes

In the mood to vent!

Heard this week that Feb 5th alot of changes going to start. Like new rates and 4day deliver will now be 5 days. Anyone want to confirm?
It's a Rumor.. The service days will not change. We (and I say we, becuase I see us all as ONE company) already have the rates in place... they were made before the transition of Dec. 18th.

Service is Service.. We all get caught up in the mix of who has the best service.. Think about it for a minute.. Unless you are holding the freight, putting it on the rail, or driving long distances out of route.. the freight is going to get where its going the same no matter which BIG ltl carrier its with.. When you road drivers run a meet and turn, are'nt the other carriers sitting, meeting at the same points??? Those of you that worked for Con-way, Averitt, USF or any others.. did you not have the hubs in the same locations as we do..

The customer can use any rate base they want when they negotiate pricing.. so if they want to use an old CFWY rate base, that is on them and our sales force. Of course we hope that they will use our rates, because it is more profitable and easier to maintain in the computer system.

I belive it comes down to this when it comes to an increase of frieght..

What the customer feels overall about the company..

The City Drivers are the sales force here. If I am the Traffic Manager at "Bobs Shipping" and I get the same driver on the route and he seems to enjoy working for his company, he don't come into my shop b*tching and griping everyday about what he "should" get and what somebody "should" do for him. He is dressed professionally and looks halfway clean.. As the customer, I am going to build rapport with him and give him freight everyday.

I myself, had some serious gripes about FedEx when I found out they were going to buy AF.. I loved AF and everything that AF stood for.

I look back now and realize that regardless of what we think and what we want, nothing is promised, not even tomorrow.. FedEx has been good to me and my family over the past few years... There are days that I don't agree with things that they do.. But I will tell you this.. for now.. and probably for a while.. I have a secure job with a secure company.. that name is not going anywhere anytime soon..

Be thankful you have something, whether you are working 5 days a week right now or not.. because there is not much out there.. its slow everywhere, and many are laid off or have nothing.. many are my friends..

Spooner, this really has nothing to do with you so don't take it wrong.. I just got comment yesterday that really ticked me off..
I spend alot of time researching, I ask many questions to many people, I learn facts and the true or false to a rumor before I spread it.. Those of you that know me, know this..

I wish I could click my heels and make everything look good for you guys at FNL.. but i can't...

but, for all of you at FNL that don't believe, that don't care, and that have negative comments about FedEx.. LEAVE! We don't need you, and don't want you..

Get on the boat, grab a paddle and help.. its Hell out there EVERYWHERE right now.. Every company is hurting.. Do something about it.. Get the customer on your side.. get the freight everyone else is hauling..

It starts with us... and we can't fix it while we are crying about it.. if your not working, influence those that are to help out... You have at least six major carriers at most of the customers that our city guys are picking up at.. its not hard to get a little extra freight.. if everyone does it.. we'll all be working 40+ soon!! :BlahBlah: :mofoismad0cn:

Da*n I sound like a freak'n suit.. haha..

just in a mood to vent!

maybe i stated it wrong because i am very new this this part of trucking (got 30yrs driving under my belt), but what i was told was there would be some changes Feb 5th. One of the things would be 5 day delivery instead of 4. I guess we are telling the customer this and getting it done in 4. I dont know. Work is slow here too as everywhere. I left a 65K job and came on board here at FXN. I choose this company because how they treat their employees. I am now trying to learn how it works here. I ask the boss alot of questions because of the merge. He is very excited about all the new things coming down the pike. Told me about the new uniforms and I though wow this company does give a damn about their guys and like the guy on the reply above me said we are the front line in the field. I am new to the board because I want to learn and know whats going on and in order for that to work for all of us we need to share info. You guys that arent happy should find another place to work, believe me i did that for 20 yrs and when i quit i felt like a big load off my shoulders. If you got experience and a good driving record you can name your job I chose Watkins/FXN and I am excited about the changes coming. If its all smoke and mirrors i was looking for a job when i found this one LOL Sorry for the rant Peace and Out

Well Said

To expand on that,
These are the plans as I know them now.........Many 2 day lanes will become 3 days lanes and 3 day lanes will become 4 day lanes and so on.... This will allow fedex national to serve its role as the long haul carrier and give the same customer the option to use fedex freight 1 and 2 days and fedex national 3, 4, and 5 days. Basically, with fedex freight east, fedex freight west you are going to have the vast majority of 1 and 2 day lanes covered. WIth fedex national, yo uare going to see your 3-5 day lanes. Also, there will be overlapping coverage during peak times if necessary. For instance, a whole fedex freight trailer may be picked up by fedex national or vice versa...The unifying of technology is still down the road.
Also, A large hub facility for fedex freight is being built in Bolingbrook, IL. DO NOT BE SURPRISED if fedex national has a large, large! facility built in or near joliet within the next 2-3 years.
Fedex National/Fedex is in intense dealing with Lowes, Borders, and a great number of companies about contracts....The new service maps are being rolled out now and will be widely unveiled within the next couple weeks.
Expect a surge in volume beginning in early February.
Also,
Look for the Large breaks to go to a 5 day work week instead of the 7 day operations.

It may take some time, but good things will come. Part, or a large part, of the problem was poor communication between our sales exec's and the customers. We are starting to communicate better and showing the customer our vision.

Things should smooth out real soon.

You guys that have been around here for the last 3-5 yrs look how much bigger FEX has gotten compared to Viking and the other company. I was also told the FNX in 5 Yrs would be bigger than FEX. Why because now we can offer service to that area FXN didnt cover becasue we can hand it off to FEX guy to deliver and that means alot to our customers What FEX wants it all for the customer. Imagine a FEX ground,express,freight,and national truck all picking up and delivering to a customer. How much better can the service get?

I agree, in fact

Infact, the powers expect that Fedex National will DOUBLE in size within a year or two.....IT SOUNDS HARD TO BELIEVE, but that is what they are saying.

Getting back to the topic "what will change" .

On a more personal level I'm being told that line haul drivers that are based at end of the line terminals (but are still controled an considered employees of the closest breakbulk) will be turn over to the termial they are based out of and that the end of the line terminals will become responsible to have all there freight on the road by 9:00 pm. This will mean the termial manager at each location will decide if more drivers are needed at his location ect.
In our case we cover our frieght 3 nights a week , the other 2 we have overflow that the break has to cover, under the proposed new guide lines we will have to add 1 driver to make sure those odd 2 days are covered.
Before anyone ask about what the extra driver will do the other 3 days, here's your answer, we are much heavier inbound than out so he would always bring frieght back even if he goes out with emptys 3 days.:1036316054:

So the way I understand what you say Gtrdone is that it was ok for you to have concerns and questions when Fed Ex bought AF but now that you and your family are ok that we at FNL should just shut up and say nothing. Most of us only have the same concerns that you you most likely had when you became a Fed Ex employee. For you to make comments like if you don't like it leave is unfair. I hope this is not the attitude company wide.

So the way I understand what you say Gtrdone is that it was ok for you to have concerns and questions when Fed Ex bought AF but now that you and your family are ok that we at FNL should just shut up and say nothing. Most of us only have the same concerns that you you most likely had when you became a Fed Ex employee. For you to make comments like if you don't like it leave is unfair. I hope this is not the attitude company wide.
Not what I said at all.. Questions and comments are one thing. I don't see anything in my post at all that said anything about FNL employees should shut up and say nothing..

My post was geared toward those that have done nothing but talked bad about FDX since the buyout.. those that don't have an open mind and don't understand that change takes a little time.

I don't think me saying "If you don't like it, leave" would lead anyone to believe that the attitude would be company wide.. But, why would anyone stay if they did not like who they worked for and did not like the change..?

I had questions and concerns when FedEx bought out AF.. But, I never talked down on FedEx or any of the opco's that existed within it.

The attitude on the Freight side, from what I have heard, is that of welcome..

If what I posted in that thread struck a nerve, then I apologize.. but, If you go back and read it again, the thread more or less talked about the two opco's (together - National and Freight)getting the freight off of the competitions truck and getting it on ours..

I apoligize for the mis-understanding. It is a difficult time for all at FNL. As I have said before most of us including myself had a great deal of excitement about the buyout, even though Watkins was a great company to work for this is the way the industry is headed. We all know that it is slow this time of year, but as I have said before it has hit us harder because of the freight we lost to Fed Ex Freight. I for one want this to work out and just be glad when it is. The area that I work in, the FNL and FDXE guys all want the same. Again I apoligize for the mis-understanding because most of your post are great and informative.

How much freight is being moved to Freight? I see a long box at the doors in STL but that one trlr can't make that big of an impact, can it?

gtrdone, I think they will add a day to most of their lanes as they hold the trailers to fill them so they can charge a lower rate, which makes no sense if they are raising rates, but that is what they originally claimed was the vision for National, a lower cost slower option for the customer.

FM

I apoligize for the mis-understanding. It is a difficult time for all at FNL. As I have said before most of us including myself had a great deal of excitement about the buyout, even though Watkins was a great company to work for this is the way the industry is headed. We all know that it is slow this time of year, but as I have said before it has hit us harder because of the freight we lost to Fed Ex Freight. I for one want this to work out and just be glad when it is. The area that I work in, the FNL and FDXE guys all want the same. Again I apoligize for the mis-understanding because most of your post are great and informative.
No Problem.. keep your chin.. good times are coming..

Both I and most everyone that I talk to see this as the slowest it's been since right after 9-11. It's everyone, all the LTL companies.. Hopefully the end of the tunnel is close..

I honestly believe that you guys are going to see great changes in the future.. And I am glad to be part of the team with you guys!

How much freight is being moved to Freight? I see a long box at the doors in STL but that one trlr can't make that big of an impact, can it?

gtrdone, I think they will add a day to most of their lanes as they hold the trailers to fill them so they can charge a lower rate, which makes no sense if they are raising rates, but that is what they originally claimed was the vision for National, a lower cost slower option for the customer.

FM
Not sure how much Freight is hauling of the intra-regional freight.. I know that at the HUB that I work at, it's not a great deal. We crossdock about 1300 shipments a day, and I looked at the dock production numbers in November vs December and the first of January.. and the shipment count has stayed pretty much the same..

Have any of you National guys seen any new service maps come out? I would like to see the changes vs what it was.. On both sides. FX and WML

As far as added shipments on the Inbound side of FXFE, the only things that we are delivering are what was once inter-line through Watkins.. Most are locations that Freight has a center at, but National does not.

I will just be glad when the Freight Gods shine their lights on us again, and we are all complaining about working too much and not getting any time off.. :duh:

FM
We are a end of the line termial and we give FEXF 600 plus bills a month, granted some of that we were giving to cartage companies to deliver but the largest amount we were delivering ourselfs. For instance Walmart is 4 to 6 pups a week up to 9 in peak season. That alone was 2 to 3 500 mile trips a week for 1 of our combo drivers who now does all city and dock work. We also are giving up 3 to six pups a week (up to 400 bills a month) in frieght that has been rerouted through our terminal to be handed off to FEXF. This particular frieght was all beig delivered by our people at the termial it previously went to.
Please don't misunderstand this IS NOT meant to come across as complaining because I'm not. I am just answering the question from Familyman as it pertains to our termial.
gtrdone:
I have seen the new service maps for Nat'l and about 60% or more of the 3 and 4 day lanes are now 4 and 5 days. All the 5 day are now 6 and 7 day. I would scan and post them for everyone but I'm not allowed to do that yet:thumbsdown: I hope this helps.

Keep your chin up guys, good things are on the horizon.:1036316054:

It's a Rumor.. The service days will not change. We (and I say we, becuase I see us all as ONE company) already have the rates in place... they were made before the transition of Dec. 18th.

Service is Service.. We all get caught up in the mix of who has the best service.. Think about it for a minute.. Unless you are holding the freight, putting it on the rail, or driving long distances out of route.. the freight is going to get where its going the same no matter which BIG ltl carrier its with.. When you road drivers run a meet and turn, are'nt the other carriers sitting, meeting at the same points??? Those of you that worked for Con-way, Averitt, USF or any others.. did you not have the hubs in the same locations as we do..

The customer can use any rate base they want when they negotiate pricing.. so if they want to use an old CFWY rate base, that is on them and our sales force. Of course we hope that they will use our rates, because it is more profitable and easier to maintain in the computer system.

I belive it comes down to this when it comes to an increase of frieght..

What the customer feels overall about the company..

The City Drivers are the sales force here. If I am the Traffic Manager at "Bobs Shipping" and I get the same driver on the route and he seems to enjoy working for his company, he don't come into my shop b*tching and griping everyday about what he "should" get and what somebody "should" do for him. He is dressed professionally and looks halfway clean.. As the customer, I am going to build rapport with him and give him freight everyday.

I myself, had some serious gripes about FedEx when I found out they were going to buy AF.. I loved AF and everything that AF stood for.

I look back now and realize that regardless of what we think and what we want, nothing is promised, not even tomorrow.. FedEx has been good to me and my family over the past few years... There are days that I don't agree with things that they do.. But I will tell you this.. for now.. and probably for a while.. I have a secure job with a secure company.. that name is not going anywhere anytime soon..

Be thankful you have something, whether you are working 5 days a week right now or not.. because there is not much out there.. its slow everywhere, and many are laid off or have nothing.. many are my friends..

Spooner, this really has nothing to do with you so don't take it wrong.. I just got comment yesterday that really ticked me off..
I spend alot of time researching, I ask many questions to many people, I learn facts and the true or false to a rumor before I spread it.. Those of you that know me, know this..

I wish I could click my heels and make everything look good for you guys at FNL.. but i can't...

but, for all of you at FNL that don't believe, that don't care, and that have negative comments about FedEx.. LEAVE! We don't need you, and don't want you..

Get on the boat, grab a paddle and help.. its Hell out there EVERYWHERE right now.. Every company is hurting.. Do something about it.. Get the customer on your side.. get the freight everyone else is hauling..

It starts with us... and we can't fix it while we are crying about it.. if your not working, influence those that are to help out... You have at least six major carriers at most of the customers that our city guys are picking up at.. its not hard to get a little extra freight.. if everyone does it.. we'll all be working 40+ soon!! :BlahBlah: :mofoismad0cn:

Da*n I sound like a freak'n suit.. haha..

just in a mood to vent!

Good post I'd like to copy it word for word but I would apply it to UPSF.:1036316054:

I work at a break bulk point and most of our hand off is going to FXF instead of the cartage companies and every morning a FXF trucks comes into our yard with freight.

Saw a ad in the paper today from UPSF looking for dock and P&D Drivers

My manager us that our sevice times will increase basically by one day on all of our lanes.

Our city drivers in DTX (DLS) are being taught how to work thw dock. Op's isn't
working any partimers.

To expand on that,
These are the plans as I know them now.........Many 2 day lanes will become 3 days lanes and 3 day lanes will become 4 day lanes and so on.... This will allow fedex national to serve its role as the long haul carrier and give the same customer the option to use fedex freight 1 and 2 days and fedex national 3, 4, and 5 days. Basically, with fedex freight east, fedex freight west you are going to have the vast majority of 1 and 2 day lanes covered. WIth fedex national, yo uare going to see your 3-5 day lanes. Also, there will be overlapping coverage during peak times if necessary. For instance, a whole fedex freight trailer may be picked up by fedex national or vice versa...The unifying of technology is still down the road.
Also, A large hub facility for fedex freight is being built in Bolingbrook, IL. DO NOT BE SURPRISED if fedex national has a large, large! facility built in or near joliet within the next 2-3 years.
Fedex National/Fedex is in intense dealing with Lowes, Borders, and a great number of companies about contracts....The new service maps are being rolled out now and will be widely unveiled within the next couple weeks.
Expect a surge in volume beginning in early February.
Also,
Look for the Large breaks to go to a 5 day work week instead of the 7 day operations.

It may take some time, but good things will come. Part, or a large part, of the problem was poor communication between our sales exec's and the customers. We are starting to communicate better and showing the customer our vision.

Things should smooth out real soon.

You hit the nail on the head thats exactly whats happening.

other ltl's

Con way driver told me they are being told by managment to expect to be working more than 50 hr. per week, next week, ( they get O.T after 50) as more ltl customers that used Watkins
and do not want Fed Ex call Con Way, for service. What flavor is that FXN Koolaid? I need some.

Putting out fires!

Con way driver told me they are being told by managment to expect to be working more than 50 hr. per week, next week, ( they get O.T after 50) as more ltl customers that used Watkins
and do not want Fed Ex call Con Way, for service. What flavor is that FXN Koolaid? I need some.
KEY PHRASE - "Con-Way driver told me" My Uncle is in management for Con-Way.. According to what he said, the driver that told you that.. Has been drinking more than Kool-aid! They have not seen anymore of an increase than any of the other LTL's..

Says everybody is slow, and so far, the buyout has not affected anyone..

Whats so big about "next week" why would they start working that much then?