FedEx Freight | new changes

Con way driver told me they are being told by managment to expect to be working more than 50 hr. per week, next week, ( they get O.T after 50) as more ltl customers that used Watkins
and do not want Fed Ex call Con Way, for service. What flavor is that FXN Koolaid? I need some.
Oh whoaa is me, 1st it was OD now it's ConWay, here's a link to their board and as with all the rest THEY HAVE BEEN LAYING OFF http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/con-way-freight/9802-another-lay-off.html

If they are going to be booming maybe you need to get your app in now??

:duh: :smilie_132:

FM

Con way driver told me they are being told by managment to expect to be working more than 50 hr. per week, next week, ( they get O.T after 50) as more ltl customers that used Watkins
and do not want Fed Ex call Con Way, for service. What flavor is that FXN Koolaid? I need some.

I think you may need to go and work for con-way if they are going to get all of those hours

You guys that have been around here for the last 3-5 yrs look how much bigger FEX has gotten compared to Viking and the other company. I was also told the FNX in 5 Yrs would be bigger than FEX. Why because now we can offer service to that area FXN didnt cover becasue we can hand it off to FEX guy to deliver and that means alot to our customers What FEX wants it all for the customer. Imagine a FEX ground,express,freight,and national truck all picking up and delivering to a customer. How much better can the service get?
Now imagine what the customer really wants -- the customer really sees all the OPCO's as just FedEx - a lot of our LTL rescues at Custom Critical come from the customer putting the expedited freight into the LTL system because "the FedEx guy came to pick it up". Now we have to call them, tell them about the different OPCO's and services and go in and rescue the freight from the LTL side. What the customer wants (and this is from extensive surveys) is for a FedEx vehicle to come to thier dock, make the pickup of all FedEx freight / packages and leave. Having a Freight, Ground, Express, Custom Critical, National LTL - all these OPCO's come throughout the day - that is 5 trailers hitting the customers door. Obviously, some Express stuff has to be moving by 1000 am, some Custom Critical stuff has to be picked up ASAP to deliver straight thru - but where we are trying to drive to and when the technology is there to do it - the customer will see less FedEx vehicles at their dock and hopefully be moving more freight with us as we seemlessly integrate our infrastructures to each other but maintain the operate independantly, compete collectively and manage collaboratively. Don't misconstrue what i just said - FedEx is not getting rid of the OPCO's - we are just looking for ways to improve the customer experience - as a customer, do you want 5 trucks at your dock taking up space or 2? just tossing it out there - its still a few years off, but its coming.

O, saw my first FedEx National LTL O/O come on board with FedEx Custom Critical last week, kinda a light brown volvo, P228 or P226 bumper number. Remember, there are other options for the O/O's within the Corp - Ground and CC both utilize teams if you wanna stay within the Corp. I know at CC, drivers make a % of the load that we charge the customer plus fuel surcharge. PM me if you want info. I dont want to take you from National LTL, but before you leave to a competitor, try us out.

Rob Ahlers
FedEx Custom Critical
Surface Expedite Tractor Team - Dispatch
1.800.762.3787 ext 5430

Rob,
Not long after the AF buy I was making a delivery to a customer that builds race cars, he says "oh, we have a pickup for you" I let him know it wasn't on my computer but I would take it while there.
I help him fill out the bill of lading and load it on the truck, at which time he says " so that will be in CA by 10:30 tomorrow" no, not on this truck it won't, you want express, they will be out to pick it up, sorry.
As I get back into town I see the Express truck headed that direction. Good thing he said something about del time or I would have picked it up.

FM

Rob,
Not long after the AF buy I was making a delivery to a customer that builds race cars, he says "oh, we have a pickup for you" I let him know it wasn't on my computer but I would take it while there.
I help him fill out the bill of lading and load it on the truck, at which time he says " so that will be in CA by 10:30 tomorrow" no, not on this truck it won't, you want express, they will be out to pick it up, sorry.
As I get back into town I see the Express truck headed that direction. Good thing he said something about del time or I would have picked it up.

FM
haha - i know that. most of our drivers are good at looking at BOL's and picking up on the transit times. if everyone takes an extra second to look, things like that can be avoided ... good thing you caught it or that would've been a little late :1036316054:

I don't drink koolaid! but I can say for one thing when I worked at Con-way we got OT after 40hours not 50hours, and by the way, what makes you think that because con way get's busy it's because they are taking business from National, what evidence do you have to back up your statement? :chairshot:

I don't drink koolaid! but I can say for one thing when I worked at Con-way we got OT after 40hours not 50hours, and by the way, what makes you think that because con way get's busy it's because they are taking business from National, what evidence do you have to back up your statement? :chairshot:
Well Said daddy 0000...

I worked at Con-way as well... I don't ever remember being informed on something "before" it happened.. all I remember is getting an LOI for everything I did wrong, and always having an FOS up my AS* at the FAC... :hysterical:

I try not to be as , well, not nice as I was in my posting, but after reviewing the 23 posts that were made by dlscontractor it is obvious he does not want to be part of FX, so the best thing for him to do would be to move on.

FM

How much freight is being moved to Freight? I see a long box at the doors in STL but that one trlr can't make that big of an impact, can it?

FM

We were told 3-5 trailers a day were going over to you guys FM, dunno if that is true but that is what we were told.

question - how fast is our freight going west coast to east coast right now? lets say LA to NYC or to Philly - whats our transit time? And please, post for Freight and National if they are different -- but i kinda need to know. thanks.

Rob

question - how fast is our freight going west coast to east coast right now? lets say LA to NYC or to Philly - whats our transit time? And please, post for Freight and National if they are different -- but i kinda need to know. thanks.

Rob

Fontana to Youngstown - 4 days. Thats 2383 miles (Hub to Hub)

Los Angelas to Philly - 4 days. 2853 miles
(LOS to SNO to PHL)
Pretty much standard for freight is 4 days..

The National network is still being engineered. I think June is when it will finally be peaked and tuned.

National's "aggressive" pricing strategy is apparently being rolled out now. What's supposed to grow National's market share is the fact that YRC, ABF, and other carriers have about an 80-some % on-time rate for long-haul shipments. FedEx National believes they can do 99% with better pricing.

We were told 3-5 trailers a day were going over to you guys FM, dunno if that is true but that is what we were told.
That may be, I just see one sitting in the door, but they may bring one at a time.

Just wondering why you guys haven't picked up the 6 volvos they reworked, they have been here since before Christmas and still sitting ther, well all but 1 that the shop is using around the yard.

FM

Fontana to Youngstown - 4 days. Thats 2383 miles (Hub to Hub)

Los Angelas to Philly - 4 days. 2853 miles
(LOS to SNO to PHL)
Pretty much standard for freight is 4 days..
Awesome - thanks guys. this is gonna help me quite a bit .. now to start typing ... i hate this part.

Rob

Just wondering why you guys haven't picked up the 6 volvos they reworked, they have been here since before Christmas and still sitting ther, well all but 1 that the shop is using around the yard.

I got a real lemon from you guys. Started it up one day and coolant came gushing out. Water pump shot to hell. Next went the air dryer and a wiper motor. Then the 5th-wheel needed to be rebuilt (sure glad I'm paid by the hour!). :tongue0015:

Finally got it back on Monday and the anti-lock and Traction control lights went on and stayed on. No traction control. So back to the shop it goes and when it will be ready...nobody knows.

They should just send it to the scrapyard and be done with it.

I heard the reason for the delay in getting the tractors from FXF is due to waiting on new registrations in the FNL name. Those that have been received so far have been really good tractors. I heard we've gotten over 20 of them in our district so far and I've not heard anything negative about them.

I heard the reason for the delay in getting the tractors from FXF is due to waiting on new registrations in the FNL name.

When Fed Ex bought American Freightways, they sent re-branded equipment out without proper registrations. Fed Ex equipment with American Freightways registrations.Weigh stations ate em up.

all management has said there was a lot to learn from the AF acquistion -- this was probably something they learned and will not repeat the mistake again ... hence the delay.

Rob