TForce | New dock hires rate cut

Are they new dock workers without CDL's?

I know dock with CDL's get a few cents under regular P & D Drivers,and the dock workers without CDL's are hired on as part time,at a part time rate of pay,even if they'er working over 40 hours per week they are still considered part time,if they aren't holding a CDL license.

I know this to be true,because I know a dockworker that doesn't want the responcabilty of getting a CDL,he's been working for over 10 years with first Overnite,now UPS Freight,sometimes he puts in more than 40 hours per week,and gets paid the part time rate.

Now your saying UPS is cutting them down lower?

Maybe its UPS's way of incouraging them to get their CDL's?
Other than that UPS Freight will be having a hard time finding dock workers in the future.

I was surprised to see Overnite hiring dock workers without CDL's when I first hired on with them 20 years ago.

I know all the union companies I worked for required every one hired with them to hold CDL's,no matter if they were only planning on working the dock the rest of their lives.

Although all the Teamster companies in Rochester, New York are single senority boards.
Any class can be bid away from lower senority workers each year,the bids come up.

If you are on the dock,a driver could take your bid away if they wanted the dock for a year.
If you didn't have a CDL to go to driving your out the door.

I think that is wrong info, starting next year all pt dock workers get 5 days off they are unpaid but it is still better than 0 days off.

dock wcdl gets 17 and change to work the dock and when hits the p&d clock he gets another $.50? per hour.

Even if they did cut there pay they are probaly still the top payed dockworkers

Apostolic said:
I know dock with CDL's get a few cents under regular P & D Drivers,and the dock workers without CDL's are hired on as part time,at a part time rate of pay,even if they'er working over 40 hours per week they are still considered part time,if they aren't holding a CDL license.

I know this to be true,because I know a dockworker that doesn't want the responcabilty of getting a CDL,he's been working for over 10 years with first Overnite,now UPS Freight,sometimes he puts in more than 40 hours per week,and gets paid the part time rate.

Now your saying UPS is cutting them down lower?

Maybe its UPS's way of incouraging them to get their CDL's?
Other than that UPS Freight will be having a hard time finding dock workers in the future.

I was surprised to see Overnite hiring dock workers without CDL's when I first hired on with them 20 years ago.

I know all the union companies I worked for required every one hired with them to hold CDL's,no matter if they were only planning on working the dock the rest of their lives.

Although all the Teamster companies in Rochester, New York are single senority boards.
Any class can be bid away from lower senority workers each year,the bids come up.

If you are on the dock,a driver could take your bid away if they wanted the dock for a year.
If you didn't have a CDL to go to driving your out the door.
that is why it is prudent to protect yourself by getting a cdl

I am 99% sure here at upsf dock workers are not up for bid, so a p&d or road guy can not take a dock workers position

Our drivers could have a dock job..

if theres an opening for the dock.
I'm not sure if we could also bid the dock if we lost our CDL?

We'd have to put one of our dock people out of work in that case,none have CDL's.

The big thing with that idea,how hard would it be to go from P&D driver pay to the low dock pay?

I know I wouldn't want to ever find out.

Apostolic said:
I worked the dock for 2 Union LTLers and I didnt have a CDL when I did. Which one's did you work for?

Eazor Express was first 1966.

2 years after hiring on with Eazor.
They purchased Daniels Motor lines,The Daniels workers had to dove tail.
Back than, they pitched a screamming fit.
They walked out on a wild cat strike,for over 2 months no freight was coming our way.
So I went to work as a casual at St.Johnsbury.
I worked inbound,P&D,and outbound for both of these companies.
No such thing as D.O.T. reg.'s,on hours of service back than.

I was in a rush to make all my deliveries one day at the end of the week.
I was a real burn out because of the long hours.
I hit the corner of a building backing to their ground level overhead door,and was let go.

This was no little hit,to get the boot.
I nailed the back corner so hard in reverse it knocked the front window out.
I couldn't blame them to get rid of me.
St.Johnsbury had to pay a lot out to rebuild this place.
As long ago as that was union drivers I run into still get a big laugh out of it looking back.
Although it wasn't to funny at the time.

The next morning I went to Hall's Motor Transit,worked 60 days,and went on full time.
But being at the bottom I was on lay off for 4 years.

I worked back,and forth between Hall's,and a union furniture moving ,storage company,untill I could get off Hall's lay off list.

I was the last driver working in Rochester after Hall's closed their doors in March 1986.
I was driving for New Penn casual for a short time.
Till the TM said he didn't want me anymore.
He wouldn't say why,but one of their drivers said the TM was an (X) Christian,and couldn't stand me working there.

Than it was casual a day ,or evening where ever I could get a weeks work in.
Working at Roadway,Yellow,Shays,Piloit,ARA Smith,Motor Freight Express,Branch Motor Lines,Boss Linco,M&M Trucking,Roots Motor Lines
Finaly Consolidated Freightways,which I popped a phone line,about a week before I was to go on full time,and as I've already posted my local union hall rep.'s wouldn't help me.

I took a withdrawl,hired on with Overnite,the end of July 1986,20 years ago, still driving now for UPS Freight,with no thought of retirement as long as God keeps blessing me with good health.

But which one's required a CDL for working the dock? Sounds like you went driving for all, not humping pallets. I worked for AML and they didnt require a CDL for the dock and lots of folks went FT without one. Worked at Carolina and you'ed have a better chance to go FT with a CDL but it wasnt a requirement either

Everyone of these companies required a CDL for the dock.
Mainly because of the single senority board in Rochester NY.
Any dock worker with low senority could be bumped out by a driver with highier senority.
Than the dock worker would be forced into the vacant driving job.
I know a P&D driver from Yellow that bid onto the dock,at their last bid time.
Bids are always year to year in this area.

OK I believe Carolina had seperate one's
Dock, P&D and road. I really enjoyed working the dock a lot better than I did working pkg. There was a strong "Brotherhood" at both frieghtlines. Especially Carolina. They were a good company to work for. Hated to see them sell.

Overnite said:
I think that is wrong info, starting next year all pt dock workers get 5 days off they are unpaid but it is still better than 0 days off.

dock wcdl gets 17 and change to work the dock and when hits the p&d clock he gets another $.50? per hour.

Even if they did cut there pay they are probaly still the top payed dockworkers
What a dock worker in SLC was saying was that all new hires will start at 11 or so and they want to try and get college kids to fill these spots and pay for their school....So it could be seen as cutting back or trying to secure their furure with people that know what the hell they are talking about....Novel idea move people up that has actually done the work.....

greezy trucker said:
What a dock worker in SLC was saying was that all new hires will start at 11 or so and they want to try and get college kids to fill these spots and pay for their school....So it could be seen as cutting back or trying to secure their furure with people that know what the hell they are talking about....Novel idea move people up that has actually done the work.....

Greezy, My TM said the same thing. The new wage only applies to people hired after a certain date. People on the payroll now remain at the same wage rate. All PT dock workers will be able to get help with their college tuition, not just new hires. Looks like they did not take anything away from present employees just new hires start at different rates. Also TM said something about a bonus for new hires that get their CDL's. I think you are correct. Looks like they want to start developing employees and management from within the company.

bamaboy said:
Greezy, My TM said the same thing. The new wage only applies to people hired after a certain date. People on the payroll now remain at the same wage rate. All PT dock workers will be able to get help with their college tuition, not just new hires. Looks like they did not take anything away from present employees just new hires start at different rates. Also TM said something about a bonus for new hires that get their CDL's. I think you are correct. Looks like they want to start developing employees and management from within the company.
The kid I talked to is pretty sharp and just does his job, so I figured his info was pretty good. But it will just be another place that you will spend 5 to 10 years trying to get on in hopes to move up. Not a bad thing just frustrating for the young ones to get started.

I do feel sorry for todays young people.

Where can they go anymore for a good secure future?
With security slim to none at any American company.

It may be difficult to move up in a UPS company,but this is a global company that has as much security as you'll ever find anywhere else.

Apostolic said:
Where can they go anymore for a good secure future?
With security slim to none at any American company.

It may be difficult to move up in a UPS company,but this is a global company that has as much security as you'll ever find anywhere else.
There are no guarantees, but the youth of today stand a better chance if they become Union......every statistic backs this up.

But you know stldude44,getting a good secure union job is even harder than hiring on at any non-union division of UPS.
You know whats involved to go union.
First casual,or spare,than hire on part time.
Both these start up spots can take many years for an open full time spot.
Finaly your on the fultime clock,only to be on the bottom of senority,usualy first on the lay off list,untill someone retires to get you to the top of the list,where you'd be the last to be laid off.
Talk about taking a long time.
Why its almost like becoming a doctor.
Unless your very,very blessed to avoid the process,and get hired right on which is almost impossible.

Apostolic said:
But you know stldude44,getting a good secure union job is even harder than hiring on at any non-union division of UPS.
You know whats involved to go union.
First casual,or spare,than hire on part time.
Both these start up spots can take many years for an open full time spot.
Finaly your on the fultime clock,only to be on the bottom of senority,usualy first on the lay off list,untill someone retires to get you to the top of the list,where you'd be the last to be laid off.
Talk about taking a long time.
Why its almost like becoming a doctor.
Unless your very,very blessed to avoid the process,and get hired right on which is almost impossible.
I had a ups driver ask me if we were hiring the other night when I stopped for my coffee. He was standing next to his parked tractor. I really did not know where this conversation was leading to untill he said that he was a casual only through the xmass season and needed full time work.