TForce | New dock hires rate cut

Apostolic said:
But you know stldude44,getting a good secure union job is even harder than hiring on at any non-union division of UPS.
You know whats involved to go union.
First casual,or spare,than hire on part time.
Both these start up spots can take many years for an open full time spot.
Finaly your on the fultime clock,only to be on the bottom of senority,usualy first on the lay off list,untill someone retires to get you to the top of the list,where you'd be the last to be laid off.
Talk about taking a long time.
Why its almost like becoming a doctor.
Unless your very,very blessed to avoid the process,and get hired right on which is almost impossible.
So there isnt PTers or casuals at non-union carriers?

I thought Union LTLers promoted according to the contract. Casuals work so many hours...BAM...a FT position.

Now if you get a job at a company, where should you go on the senority list?? The top??

No matter what company you hire on,you always start at the bottom and work up according to otheres leaving the company.
With a non-union UPS companies you have a better chance of getting on full time in a shorter amount of time,than the union end of UPS.

I just talked to a union parcel driver this week.
He says he's been with UPS for 5 years,and even though he puts in over 40 hours per week he is still on the part time clock.

His first 3 years was as a part time loader,and unloader.
His current years have been driving.
He told me untill a perminate route opens up,and he's the next in line to get it he will still be part time,making part time wages.

He said theres 5 drivers over him,so it could take awhile.

Now I'm only posting about UPS,our parent company,but other Teamster union trucking jobs,are also hard to work your way up to something full time,without to chance of lay offs.

Actually, he makes 85% of top pay. Has enough reports, he gets FT vacation(45 hours). PTers also have full insurance at no cost to them. There still recieving credit toward there PT pension. And if he was to get a bid route, he would be FT. Since FTers are the only one's that bid a route.
Apo, the PT cover driver language was created to give us more vacation weeks to choose from during the summer months, which is known as peak vacation time(along with excessive absentees). Unfortunetly, UPS has learned to abuse that language and many of us would like to see it done away with.It's up to us, as members to seek a better contract. To correct what we percieve as flaws. Without the Teamsters, things would be a lot worse for that PTer and FTers alike.
Now I'm only posting about UPS,our parent company,but other Teamster union trucking jobs,are also hard to work your way up to something full time,without to chance of lay offs.
Come on now Apo. Are you leading me to believe "layoff's" only happen at Union companies?? Take's time for those FT positions? In some areas I would imagine so. But again, you are trying to imply this only happens at "Union" companies. Which isnt true. One Union LTLer I worked at was promoting to FT pretty regularly. Guys with less than a year. Another one I worked at, I had just missed the cut to go FT and I had less than a year. But I still recieved credit toward my Teamster pension as a casual and made "GOOD" money. But like I said, depends on the area's growth

I usually enjoy reading your post brother. But when you go on this little tirade of "Only at Union Companies", it rubs me the wrong way and shocks me that a christian would post what some could percieve as lie's and half truth's.

Apostolic said:
No matter what company you hire on,you always start at the bottom and work up according to otheres leaving the company.
With a non-union UPS companies you have a better chance of getting on full time in a shorter amount of time,than the union end of UPS.

I just talked to a union parcel driver this week.
He says he's been with UPS for 5 years,and even though he puts in over 40 hours per week he is still on the part time clock.

His first 3 years was as a part time loader,and unloader.
His current years have been driving.
He told me untill a perminate route opens up,and he's the next in line to get it he will still be part time,making part time wages.

He said theres 5 drivers over him,so it could take awhile.

APO, that's because they're good jobs. Far better than working for UPS Freight will ever be. UPS is a tough company to work for, however, with our Teamster Union Contract it makes it worth the trouble.

krash said:
Apo, the PT cover driver language was created to give us more vacation weeks to choose from during the summer months, which is known as peak vacation time(along with excessive absentees).

What language are you talking about, Krash?

I'm sorry that you think I'm a liar KRASH.
When my union company closed the doors in 1986 I went through this process,with other union companies in Rochester.
I never was able to get hired on with another union LTL company.
When I went to Overnite.
I went right on the full time clock.

So I can only speak of what I know of what my past union years were like.

Although on another forum CFer says my past was the old union days,everything is better now.
But I will also say if any company needs to hire drivers,union,or non-union alike its a lot easier getting on full time than if the company just wants fill ins for a chance in the futuer of a full time spot.
You've got to give me a break KRASH.
I'm older than dirt,but my memory is still in tact,to remember the bad old days.

Although I will take CFer's advice,and come up into the present.
I know I don't want to be acused of being a liar.

Brother,
I didnt call you a liar and I dont think you are a liar. Please re-read my reply. I said some might percieve what you posted as such. I feel you all to often miss my point. Especially concerning situations such as lay off's and starting at the bottom, it isnt strictly Union, now is it. But you post as if it is. Not trying to beat ya down, just trying to show you what you insinuated.

Mike01,
In the souther supplements we have cover driver language. I'll dig it up and PM it to you if you'ed like.
To my understanding, this was created to give us more vacation weeks during June, July and August. But as with anything, UPS has abused this language and thses guys will work year round. They even have PTers doing "coverage" work in feeder now.

krash said:
Mike01,
In the souther supplements we have cover driver language. I'll dig it up and PM it to you if you'ed like.
To my understanding, this was created to give us more vacation weeks during June, July and August. But as with anything, UPS has abused this language and thses guys will work year round. They even have PTers doing "coverage" work in feeder now.

Thanks, Krash. Got your PM with the language. It threw me a bit since we dont have anything like that in Central States.

I can see where UPS will abuse this. That language definately needs to be changed. If they have "coverage" drivers doing that much work, then there is actually more full time jobs to be had.

I have been told that UPS is going to replace all the dock workers with part timers. They are going to pay the part time dock workers what they pay the package handlers at UPS between $8-$10 an hour with a $10,000 bonus for college tuition. If you are dock CDL you will either have to run the city or line haul.

I'm sure that partftmers are given the chance to get a CDL to bring them up to fultime dock with a CDL.
Other wise how valuable is someone that can just load,and unload?

Why do you say I'm taking my companys side on this issue Krash?
How many LTL Trucking companies do you know that still hire,just dock workers with no CDL?
Most companies in my part of the country require a CDL for the dock.

In times past you could hire on with no license,than do on the job traning,but now days companies would rather you come to them with driving experence already,to be ready to help them in whatever needs they may have.

Apostolic said:
I'm sure that partftmers are given the chance to get a CDL to bring them up to fultime dock with a CDL.
Other wise how valuable is someone that can just load,and unload?

A good Dockman is just as important as a good driver.

Only that a driver can work the dock,but a dock worker can't drive.

So this makes a dock worker limited in his value to the intire operation.

Apostolic said:
Why do you say I'm taking my companys side on this issue Krash?
How many LTL Trucking companies do you know that still hire,just dock workers with no CDL?
Most companies in my part of the country require a CDL for the dock.

In times past you could hire on with no license,than do on the job traning,but now days companies would rather you come to them with driving experence already,to be ready to help them in whatever needs they may have.

Yellow, Roadway, ABF, OLD DUMBONION, Overnite, FedEX Freight,.......they all hire dock only.

Just cuz you's a combo driver dock monkey doesn't mean everyone should be.

Apostolic said:
Only that a driver can work the dock,but a dock worker can't drive.

So this makes a dock worker limited in his value to the intire operation.

Drivers can't go out and do sales contracts with customers, or Dispatch, Billing, e.t.c.
So are drivers of a limited value to a company. Your logic is illogical

We were comparing dock workers with CDL's,and without,
Now we are into the sales dept.,?
Well now drivers are into sales that drive P & D.
We are the ones that see our companys customers,way more than sales would.
We represent the company.
What ever our attitud is to our customers shipping,and receiving dept., workers our customers gadge our company on that more so than on a sales call once in awhile.
Now you have to amit dock workers without CDL's can work the dock only.
The only customers they would ever see is if one comes to the terminal for a dock pick-up,or delivery.

Say how did this thread start out anyways?