Yellow | new mack cabover road tractors?

imported_hillbilly

TB Lurker
Credits
i was going thru k-town yesterday and saw brand new mack cabovers they had sleepers on them.painted wiht new yello logos on them .looked like those trucks you see in europe.:tongue-tied: :eek:

hillbilly said:
i was going thru k-town yesterday and saw brand new mack cabovers they had sleepers on them.painted wiht new yello logos on them .looked like those trucks you see in europe.:tongue-tied: :eek:

I would love to see a picture of these trucks. I know they have been getting in a bunch of new INTERNATIONALS. I think STERLING is out. I seen 10 brand new Freightliner Columbia Sleeper Units at Chicago Ridge, Penske. All Painted Up and Logoed for the sleeper Teams. I thought Mack quit making Cabovers. I really liked the old GMC astro's Cabovers. They Had a nice look to them, But I bet rode like a mule.

DETrob said:
I really liked the old GMC astro's Cabovers. They Had a nice look to them, But I bet rode like a mule.

They did. They had the best view for a driver of any truck ever made-- the only thing not open to windowglass was the bottom of your legs. But they had NO airride available that I know of. And I believe the largest engine was a 318, possibly with a twin turbo making it a 350.

I had a Mack Cruiseliner for a while, with a KT450 Cummins. Heck of a puller. When the engine went though, Cummins had to special make the block (they discontinued it I believe). Took a month to get parts, so I swapped it back to the seller for an old Pete Cabover. Now THERE was one comfortable cabover.............

yo....

cabover sleepers are for SLC triples operation as hooded sleepers are too long for length laws out west.....

jimmy g...

they put v12-71n detroits in astros and v8-92tta's in also ( drove a 8v-92 powered one for crown cork and seal for a while).....

YELLOW's astros had formula 300 cummins cut back to 270 and vise gripped down to 240.....

best cabover i ever drove was a 1979 freightliner (last year with square doors) a/c would freeze you in the desert and the heater would keep you toasty in 20 below weather with just a winter front.....

power didn't make much of a difference back then with the 55 mph speed limit and a formula 350 with a 9 speed was great.....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps; has anyone seen the new binders up close and personal yet???????

MIKEEEEE said:
yo....

jimmy g...

they put v12-71n detroits in astros and v8-92tta's in also ( drove a 8v-92 powered one for crown cork and seal for a while).....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I also had a 79 KW K100 with a Detroit Diesel 8V92TT putting out 475 HP TO THE WHEELS. Warranted for 200,000 miles. Blew to pieces at 201,600. Never have another one.......Way, WAY too light a motor for that much power. Now I know why Cats weigh a ton. I already knew why Cats are painted gold though-- it'll cost you real GOLD for the parts.........

Now I'm just happy to drive the things.........

MIKEEEEE said:
yo....

cabover sleepers are for SLC triples operation as hooded sleepers are too long for length laws out west.....

jimmy g...

YELLOW's astros had formula 300 cummins cut back to 270 and vise gripped down to 240.....

best cabover i ever drove was a 1979 freightliner (last year with square doors) a/c would freeze you in the desert and the heater would keep you toasty in 20 below weather with just a winter front.....

power didn't make much of a difference back then with the 55 mph speed limit and a formula 350 with a 9 speed was great.....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps; has anyone seen the new binders up close and personal yet???????

Someone on this site had posted a link to pictures he took of the new Cornbinders.
I have tried to find them but couldnt. maybe someone can repost them.

We never had girlie trucks to drive when i was young thus no women drivers. A lot of you guys would want to work the dock. Just a history note from a bitter old man.

note to bitter mattjm:

Some of our women on our dock will make you want to drive the road............

:weight_lift: :weight_lift:

Thanks Jimmy i'll stay bitter. B T W the Penn State, Eagles ans Steelers look good this year. Compared to Jeff's Raiders

jimmy g said:
I also had a 79 KW K100 with a Detroit Diesel 8V92TT putting out 475 HP TO THE WHEELS. Warranted for 200,000 miles. Blew to pieces at 201,600. Never have another one.......Way, WAY too light a motor for that much power. Now I know why Cats weigh a ton. I already knew why Cats are painted gold though-- it'll cost you real GOLD for the parts.........

Now I'm just happy to drive the things.........

I had one of those silver 92’s in a GMC General. It had twin turbo’s with a blower. It got about three miles to the gallon, and blew black smoke. It was set up to pull a cement can, cement tanker. It held up pretty good always ran over weight.

mattjm said:
We never had girlie trucks to drive when i was young thus no women drivers. A lot of you guys would want to work the dock. Just a history note from a bitter old man.
The good old days,when trucks were made of steel and so were the men that drove them.
Give me back my two stick MACK!!!!:USA:

yo....

the most enjoyabe truck i ever drove was an r-615st....

turned up 280hp mack v8 with a 15 speed triplex and .424 gears....

did just about half way between the 80 mark and the bulldog's tail on the speedo....

weighed 15600 full of gas...

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The Macks are Argosies

I spotted a new 2007 Argosy at work today, but had to wait until my last break to take a walk-around series. The Mack cabovers you spotted were really Freightliner Argosies. Think they are rostered at Salt Lake City only.

YFS37576_11-20-06_01.jpg

YFS37576_11-20-06_02.jpg

For a photo of a new Yellow Transportation 2007 Argosy hooked to a set go here:

YELLOW Argosy/doubles

Jimmy B