Yellow | new mack cabover road tractors?

Macks cost too much. YRC is looking at something for a little less money. New Ford class 8's
Thorcodualmotor_00_resized.jpg

:biglaugh: Too funny...

For those of you who have been around for a while, Yellow had 50 Astros with a rubber block rear suspension. They rode so rough Yellow was forced to pull them from the fleet. Navajo bought them & painted over the yellow. They were in the fleet when ABF bought Navajo. ABF sold them quickly. They were so rough it was hard to keep everything tight. The transmissons would actually shake loose from the clutch housing. You would hurt for a long time after driving one even for a short distance.

They did. They had the best view for a driver of any truck ever made-- the only thing not open to windowglass was the bottom of your legs. But they had NO airride available that I know of. And I believe the largest engine was a 318, possibly with a twin turbo making it a 350.

I had a Mack Cruiseliner for a while, with a KT450 Cummins. Heck of a puller. When the engine went though, Cummins had to special make the block (they discontinued it I believe). Took a month to get parts, so I swapped it back to the seller for an old Pete Cabover. Now THERE was one comfortable cabover.............

I agree...I had a GMC Astro... Best driver visibility of any truck I had ever driven......I also drove a cab over Pete for a year prior to joining Roadway.....Imagine going from a nice riding and roomy cab over pete to an old beat up day cab Road Boss and the Old "Shake and bakes" we had at the time.....Quite a letdown....but the pay check looked a lot better..!

Thanks for trip down memory lane.

I spotted a new 2007 Argosy at work today, but had to wait until my last break to take a walk-around series. The Mack cabovers you spotted were really Freightliner Argosies. Think they are rostered at Salt Lake City only.

YFS37576_11-20-06_01.jpg

YFS37576_11-20-06_02.jpg

For a photo of a new Yellow Transportation 2007 Argosy hooked to a set go here:

YELLOW Argosy/doubles

Jimmy B

Man, those are big sleepers..In the old days the sleeper ended about where the side vent is on this one...A big man,like myself,had to sleep on his side...Real comfortable...Lots o' room...Oh boy...

Had many naps at break time of course in that very tractor.
Had a fellow brother and an office girl use it from time to time !! Tuna Boat !
Man, those are big sleepers..In the old days the sleeper ended about where the side vent is on this one...A big man,like myself,had to sleep on his side...Real comfortable...Lots o' room...Oh boy...