ABF | New Manager For Rochester NY

This is what they look like when properly braced and ready to load. The beams prevent the freight from falling into the wall of the trailer during transit.

1CC3E048-5F30-4392-8BFC-88A3AEB0262E.md.jpg
If ABF can work out the bugs in this system it should pay for itself by reducing paid claims as long as they factor in reduced tonnage per load & offset by faster movement of loads. Innovative for sure.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

If ABF can work out the bugs in this system it should pay for itself by reducing paid claims as long as they factor in reduced tonnage per load & offset by faster movement of loads. Innovative for sure.:clapping::clapping::clapping:
I'm not sure anyone picked up on my earlier post about Malcolm McLean.

To quote that post, "Sounds like the platforms are in a sense a small scale version of what Malcolm McLean developed decades ago. Think about it."

McLean came up with the concept of shipping containers. Before he did, ships were loaded piecemeal and were stuck at ports a long time for that type of loading and unloading. However, shipping containers could be "stuffed" at numerous locations and loaded on to container ships much more quickly than piecemeal loading. Same for unloading.

What ABF is doing with these "sleds" is basically the same concept. Instead of loading the trailer piecemeal, the sleds, like containers, are loaded away from the trailer and then they are much more quickly loaded into a trailer, shortening the trailer turnaround time. Innovative of ABF but the concept goes back almost 70 years.

Last edited:
Just wait until you guys get the FLASH team in at your new facility in SLC. I'm in KCI/003. So about FLASH... They are going to throw the ABF policy book at you and do their damnest to make it miserable for you if you push back. I didn't trust management much beforehand but I definitely don't trust the Mofo's on the implementation team.

We used to enjoy the freedom to have radios or music and even ear buds on the dock. That's gone. They used to "look the other way" if your cell phone was out but now the only acceptable use is if you have an emergency. Then and only then you have to leave your work area to take phone calls.

Flash changes their minds weekly on how they want you to work to work MP freight because of course it's a pilot program. They assign every task to you. The tablet tells you to secure/unsecure the platforms, convey, hang chains on doors etc. They have taken the skill set out of knowing how and when to load freight. The worst part is that it feels like you never get anything done and all you do is drive around in circles with no accomplishment. You jump from task to task and cannot get into a rhythm unless you're unloading a "conventional" or a city trailer.

Morale was low before but now it's total sh*t after 18 months. We were optimistic at first with them but you could throw a 1000 good ideas at the team and not one of them clicks. They will lie and twist things to their advantage like all management.

IMG_20220414_125344.md.jpg

Just wait until you guys get the FLASH team in at your new facility in SLC. I'm in KCI/003. So about FLASH... They are going to throw the ABF policy book at you and do their damnest to make it miserable for you if you push back. I didn't trust management much beforehand but I definitely don't trust the Mofo's on the implementation team.

We used to enjoy the freedom to have radios or music and even ear buds on the dock. That's gone. They used to "look the other way" if your cell phone was out but now the only acceptable use is if you have an emergency. Then and only then you have to leave your work area to take phone calls.

Flash changes their minds weekly on how they want you to work to work MP freight because of course it's a pilot program. They assign every task to you. The tablet tells you to secure/unsecure the platforms, convey, hang chains on doors etc. They have taken the skill set out of knowing how and when to load freight. The worst part is that it feels like you never get anything done and all you do is drive around in circles with no accomplishment. You jump from task to task and cannot get into a rhythm unless you're unloading a "conventional" or a city trailer.

Morale was low before but now it's total sh*t after 18 months. We were optimistic at first with them but you could throw a 1000 good ideas at the team and not one of them clicks. They will lie and twist things to their advantage like all management.

IMG_20220414_125344.md.jpg
Well whatever they are doing now isn't working out. Another dock supervisor is walking out at the end of the week. And this will be the last week for a linehaul supervisor. They can't hire anyone on the dock because of the pay . We will see how it all works out.

Why do I suddenly hear Luther Vandross and Barry White singing in the background? That sounds like something straight out of a Harlequin Romance novel. LOL!!!
Are you sure you aren't hearing Bertha and Puddin' singing???
pitch perfect singing GIF

Update: My (25 year old female) manager came back to help "train" the new (23 ish male) manager.....she was there the whole week...so on Friday there are three of us in the driver room she comes over to the window and tells us it is her last day here....silence for at least a minute, we just stare at her.....then one guy says, "have fun in Rochester"... she says thanks.....lmao...more silence...I was on my best behavior.... I thought about saying, " Good Luck..................to the guys in Rochester"....but instead I just turned and walked away....