XPO | No A/c

NorthTXcon-way

TB Veteran
Credits
We were told today that if the A/C or any other non-emergency problems arise, that they would not be fixed until the next PM service is due. Is this company-wide?

Hubby said it is company wide.

He said to let them know that the belt on the a/c is on all the pulleys and if it freezes up then the wrecker bill will be from $600/up and then the a/c will have to be fixed right then.
He knows for a fact.

If the compressor clutch freezes up the belt will come off and when that belt goes off the altenator won't charge the truck. Then you are dead on the side of the road until someone comes and gets you. Daytime the wrecker driver/service truck worker can charge the battery, take out the headlight bulbs (if they are the kind that stay on all the time) to keep too much of the charge from being drained to help you get a few miles more down the road. Hopefully to the terminal.

He's pretty sure if you cross state line it's a fed law to have a/c in the truck.

Hubby said it is company wide.

He's pretty sure if you cross state line it's a fed law to have a/c in the truck.

Pretty sure only DOT air conditioning mandate is for sleeper trucks. I think all class 8 trucks manufactured after 03 had to have it but there is no A/C mandate for those manufactured before.

It is company wide though. Not fixed till pm. Then hope they get to it.

Same old BS differant verse. Too bad we don't have anyone that does not have the heart to care more a person than the almighty $$$$$$. Just think of how much more that was made by not having this truck down to be repaired. This place defies belief. You are nothing more than a implement for the cultivation of money,which by the way you will not be cut in on increasing your workload. Do more for the same amount of money. Hey here is an idea let's shut off the lights at the fuel island,lock up the TP,cut back on trash service etc.etc. to make your O/R look better than it really is . What a f'ing joke. Beware this place is not as it seems and just below the surface lurks a monster. Rant off Flame suit on. Oh also your manager has a large impact on how much of this crap gets forced down our throats. Some of these guys simply amaze me. Wouldn't screwing with numbers and making a false representation of your O/R be considered falsifying company documents? Could this also be a misrepresentation of the company to investors?:chairshot:

We were told today that if the A/C or any other non-emergency problems arise, that they would not be fixed until the next PM service is due. Is this company-wide?

I believe that is the case...and if you drive in higher heat with humidity and it rains, like in the Cross Bronx, you cannot keep your windshield clear of condensation on the inside without either the AC or the older dash mounted fans...just another little sorry guys, you have to make do type of thing from the makers of conway...

I am a Holland driver, and I wanted to add my two cents. This issue you have brought up isn’t just happening at your company, it’s going on at ours also. The truck that is assigned to me to drive in the city went to one of our shops to get a radiator; it was gone for two months, it came back with the same radiator but a recon motor was put in it. It didn’t need a motor the old one ran fine. But the rotted out radiator was still there. Anyhow the A/C was not charged up after the engine swap, I was told they had to wait for either a PM or after June sometime. What a crock!!! Now I am writing up my truck for a new motor with the hopes of getting a new radiator. So it isn’t just at Con-Way this is happening.
Good luck warm weather is coming to the north, I hope!!!
:smilie_132:

Here's a funny for ya. One hot humid day at XAC, I was going to get my truck when I found Jeff T's Taurus wagon parked in the garage with the motor running, the doors and windows closed and the a/c on. Somehow this didn't seem right. Against company policy to leave a motor idle. So to teach him a lesson I opened the door turned the temp to hot and the selector switch to heat. I shut the door and left for the city. He later said when he got in the car the plastic was ready to melt. That was one of the few good moments of working for Jeff T.

Here's a funny for ya. One hot humid day at XAC, I was going to get my truck when I found Jeff T's Taurus wagon parked in the garage with the motor running, the doors and windows closed and the a/c on. Somehow this didn't seem right. Against company policy to leave a motor idle. So to teach him a lesson I opened the door turned the temp to hot and the selector switch to heat. I shut the door and left for the city. He later said when he got in the car the plastic was ready to melt. That was one of the few good moments of working for Jeff T.

You should have locked the doors too...

Amazing how the morons abound in upper management, huh? :nutkick:

I am a Holland driver, and I wanted to add my two cents. This issue you have brought up isn’t just happening at your company, it’s going on at ours also. The truck that is assigned to me to drive in the city went to one of our shops to get a radiator; it was gone for two months, it came back with the same radiator but a recon motor was put in it. It didn’t need a motor the old one ran fine. But the rotted out radiator was still there. Anyhow the A/C was not charged up after the engine swap, I was told they had to wait for either a PM or after June sometime. What a crock!!! Now I am writing up my truck for a new motor with the hopes of getting a new radiator. So it isn’t just at Con-Way this is happening.

I believe that is the case...and if you drive in higher heat with humidity and it rains, like in the Cross Bronx, you cannot keep your windshield clear of condensation on the inside without either the AC or the older dash mounted fans...just another little sorry guys, you have to make do type of thing from the makers of conway...
Somebody told me that they didn't have air for years and years. Yeah, those trucks with no air were made for no air. Vents, fans, etc... . These new trucks aren't made to have "no air". Especially the road trucks. :chairshot:
I think that everything on that truck was put there for the safe operation of the truck and everything should be working at all times. Even the A/C.

Fellow LTL driver, I drive a 2001 Sterling, assigned tractor.
Since April 2001 when my tractor was brand new, it has had an interment starting problem. It has been to Ford ( aka Sterling ) about 20 times. They have replaced every component related to electricity starting the tractor, now, it needs ether to start it 2-3 days per week in the morning. I am afraid to tell them for fear of losing my assinged tractor. What should I do?
By the way, I do nat have A/C and problaly never will. :smilie_132:

Since April 2001 when my tractor was brand new, it has had an interment starting problem. It has been to Ford ( aka Sterling ) about 20 times. They have replaced every component related to electricity starting the tractor, now, it needs ether to start it 2-3 days per week in the morning. I am afraid to tell them for fear of losing my assinged tractor. What should I do?
Did everybody see the Monday DVD about the changes on the '08 trucks? Maybe they'll give you one of those trucks. They have enhancements:funky::funky:

Did everybody see the Monday DVD about the changes on the '08 trucks? Maybe they'll give you one of those trucks. They have enhancements:funky::funky:
There is that "E" word again. I guess we will have to build new slip seat boxes since there won't be a passenger side seat. Arm rest on the left side.WTF?????:hysterical:

arm rest

There is that "E" word again. I guess we will have to build new slip seat boxes since there won't be a passenger side seat. Arm rest on the left side.WTF?????:hysterical:

they just took it off of the passenger seat.

Since April 2001 when my tractor was brand new, it has had an interment starting problem. It has been to Ford ( aka Sterling ) about 20 times. They have replaced every component related to electricity starting the tractor, now, it needs ether to start it 2-3 days per week in the morning. I am afraid to tell them for fear of losing my assigned tractor. What should I do?
By the way, I do not have A/C and probably never will. :smilie_132:

The state I live in has a lemon law, which states if the vehicle goes back to the dealership three times for the same problem and is still not fixed. Then the manufacture of the vehicle has to replace it by law. It has been my past experience that once you start using ether for starting outside of the cold weather season you will always be using it to start the truck. It seems to wear the rings down so there isn’t as much compression. Ether isn’t good for an engine; it gets grease out of your clothes great though!!!

I realize the lemon law isn’t going to help you, but it seems that our companies will just let these little problems go and wind up costing them a lot in the end. When it could have been fixed under warranty or the lemon law.:smilie_132:

I always wondered why we ran 24.5 rubber in the first place. I think it looks a little better but 22.5 is a lot cheaper. Now there will be two armrests to break. I suppose they did make a couple of improvements.

Somebody told me that they didn't have air for years and years. Yeah, those trucks with no air were made for no air. Vents, fans, etc... . These new trucks aren't made to have "no air". Especially the road trucks. :chairshot:
I think that everything on that truck was put there for the safe operation of the truck and everything should be working at all times. Even the A/C.

Actually, the only difference in that respect between the 2005 Sterling (432-5590)i was driving before i got hurt, and the 1994 Ford L9000 I first drove (432-4392) was the dash mounted fan on the Ford...actually, that was the only difference between the 2005 and the 1999, and the 2001 trucks I drove over the years...i did miss those old Fords...they either ran good or they didnt...there was no in between, or one day they run good the next they dont (and wont until one of the loser "mechanics" (who lied on his application about being a mechanic) changes a sensor at the next PM (providing he feels up to, finds it, and/or has the part)...

Wreck it and they will give you another one...