XPO | No A/c

Modifying equipment is the no no. If anyone told him that he'd be fired for doing anything to a truck, they lied. They have a clear list of driver repairs.

As far as PM's, we put PM report cards in the trucks and belive it or not, we get very few negative comments. I cannot speak for other shops, but me personally have only gotten 1 bad PM report card back in 7 years and that was for leaving a greasy handprint on the bumper. OK, my bad. Many of the other negative comments were about a front-end shimmy that we could not fix, it was a Sterling issue that took them 2 years to coem up with a fix that we are just starting to do now. I understand that a truck comes in with a shimmy problem and goes right back out with the same problem, we're the jerks that couldn't fix it.

Most driver don't care to know that we've been fighting with Sterling for a fix for many years on many problems. Right now there about 40 open issues with Sterling now. Font-end shimmy, dashes cracking & falling apart, A/C problems, premature clucth failures, seat side panels breaking, just to name a few.

A driver writes all these things up, the few fixes that they do let us do always ahve a parts shortage. Do we hold a truck becasue the seat side panel is cracked because they are back ordered for a week? No, we let it run and get complaints that the drivers concerns were not addressed. Sorry, I woudl ahve replaced it if we had it. Sterlings are not quaility trucks.

My best suggestion would be to be totally honest and calm when filling out a PM report card and send it to the director of maintenence like it says to do, they follow up on all report cards, good or bad. They don't put much faith is irrate letters though. Tell the facts and ask for a follow up. We need a solution. As drivers,tell us what can we do better so we can all get along? You'd be supprised if you actaully talked to the mechanics how many of them will glad to explain why or why not something was done or not done.

I know that we are really talked bad about when we take off an extra antenna, or when we took the ashtrays out, but we were to do so. They also hate when we move the radio box, but we have remove the passenger seat to get the engine cover off, it unavoidable to touch your radios sometimes.

We could go on forever about what problems we have, DSR vs. mechanics. But who's got the solution? Are there any questions that we can get some honest feed back about and maybe make something better?

concerning your pm report cards...i have been driving conway linehaul for 9 years...but because i do not run the FAC for maintenance for us (XNW), i do not see a report card...in fact i have seen one and it was just last year because the import dsr that takes them to the shop left in the truck in the sunvisor (top side) one day coming back late and seeing the sun rise on i95 north in CT, i flipped the visor down and saw it...it was about 2 months old but, now i can say i saw one...

I guess it come down to, does a company deserve these extra favors. I always carry a rudimentary assortment of tools that fit in my bag and will use them to fix things on the truck for my own convenience. I once used a dime to jam in a hose fitting to shut off the air in a brake can with a blown diaphragm so I could get back. Yes, I know the legalities of this but I wanted to go home. I guess my point is that the company doesn't appreciate these old school methods, so I do them a lot less.

I have better solution...i just drive the truck with the taillight out and if i get stopped for it (which i havent yet) i would looked surprised and say something original like "was working when i left"...and in a worse case scenario..i would back the trailer back to the dock and spend extra time (cha ching) swinging the load...

Well then, you and who ever allowed you to swing a load for a bad taillight are both idiots.

my theory in life with conway tucks is simple...i will fix what is needed for me to see and be comfortable, or if i cannot fix either...break something else so the shop has to fix it...it is simple...in the mean time...if one truck breaks...conway will give me another...have a wonderful time...

:biglaugh: Yup ,typical bottom 20%. Your probably one to complain about raises and how upper management screws you, but here you are breaking something on purpose to get out of a job. Your theroy is just fine with me, the more you break, the more they need us.

Makes me feel much better about myself, I'm not a company man by any means, I lke my job enough to stay, but I do the best I can do. Nothing to do with Con-way, it's personal, I take pride in what I do and don't like to make mistakes, at home, at work, at play, I always try to better myself. Con-way will never take my pride.

If it every got to the point that I was unhappy to the point that I resorted to breaking something something on purpose or wasting time to milk more money from the company, then that is the day they took my pride and made me a dishonest person. I will find another job before that day comes.

I have better solution...i just drive the truck with the taillight out and if i get stopped for it (which i havent yet) i would looked surprised and say something original like "was working when i left"...and in a worse case scenario..i would back the trailer back to the dock and spend extra time (cha ching) swinging the load...

Well then, you and who ever allowed you to swing a load for a bad taillight are both idiots.

my theory in life with conway tucks is simple...i will fix what is needed for me to see and be comfortable, or if i cannot fix either...break something else so the shop has to fix it...it is simple...in the mean time...if one truck breaks...conway will give me another...have a wonderful time...

:biglaugh: Yup ,typical bottom 20%. Your probably one to complain about raises and how upper management screws you, but here you are breaking something on purpose to get out of a job. Your theory is just fine with me, the more you break, the more they need us.

Makes me feel much better about myself, I'm not a company man by any means, I lke my job enough to stay, but I do the best I can do. Nothing to do with Con-way, it's personal, I take pride in what I do and don't like to make mistakes, at home, at work, at play, I always try to better myself. Con-way will never take my pride.

If it every got to the point that I was unhappy to the point that I resorted to breaking something something on purpose or wasting time to milk more money from the company, then that is the day they took my pride and made me a dishonest person. I will find another job before that day comes.

You on the other hand are a dishonest person that has no pride. You let Con-way take that from you and are a lesser person for it.

:biglaugh: Yup ,typical bottom 20%. Your probably one to complain about raises and how upper management screws you, but here you are breaking something on purpose to get out of a job. Your theory is just fine with me, the more you break, the more they need us.

You on the other hand are a dishonest person that has no pride. You let Con-way take that from you and are a lesser person for it.

stick around for awhile..then you will be just like me...deep inside you probably are, but it doesnt sound like you will admit it, but that is ok...

now about the 20% bottom comment...now that is very insulting...what i do in the truck and what i do with freight are two complete different things...and by the way...when one resorts to insulting another...it is generally a sign that they were upset...which would and does indicate you are a company man...and you probably have visions and dreams of being "lead mechanic" someday...keep that dream alive...and keep fixing the stuff people like me break as well...we depend on you to do that...and always remember...dave m made it to the top, so that should be some additional inspiration to you...have a great day and keep those trucks fixed....

i am happy that you folks are talking bout the number 2 lsx driver. this is an everyday thing for him. never seen a person get so much breakdown time, and what is bad, management lets him get away with the excess time in the shop

I believe that is the case...and if you drive in higher heat with humidity and it rains, like in the Cross Bronx, you cannot keep your windshield clear of condensation on the inside without either the AC or the older dash mounted fans...just another little sorry guys, you have to make do type of thing from the makers of conway...

Last night,they sent 5 of us out with non-airconditioned trucks and left 2 trucks with a/c parked against the fence.:cuss:

Last night,they sent 5 of us out with non-airconditioned trucks and left 2 trucks with a/c parked against the fence.:cuss:

yep...me and another dsr drove 1999's out to XMI one night (265 each way) while the 2005 and 2004 went to XSX and XNW...conway didnt want to use the mileage up on the new trucks...

stick around for awhile..then you will be just like me...deep inside you probably are, but it doesnt sound like you will admit it, but that is ok...
That wont happen, not caring is fine, not liking your job is fine, resorting to breaking things on purpose and wasting time swinging a load because you're too lazy to change a bulb, that is a whole new level, that puts you in the bottom 20%. This is my opinion, not said to be an insult, you admitted to breaking equipment on purpose and you think that it OK to do so, in my opinion, that makes you a lesser person and in the bottom 20%. You are not as good as the average driver that does a good job and doesn't break anything on purpose. It's that simple. If the truth offends you, too bad, I it's your choice to be in the bottom 20%.
now about the 20% bottom comment...now that is very insulting...what i do in the truck and what i do with freight are two complete different things...and by the way...when one resorts to insulting another...it is generally a sign that they were upset...which would and does indicate you are a company man...and you probably have visions and dreams of being "lead mechanic" someday...keep that dream alive...and keep fixing the stuff people like me break as well...we depend on you to do that...and always remember...dave m made it to the top, so that should be some additional inspiration to you...have a great day and keep those trucks fixed....
No dreams of a leadmechanic, not a company man. I have no interest in relocating for 50 cents per hour. My dream is to retire and have enough money to do what I want when I do. It wasn't meant to be insulting, that's the way to took it. Read back though, you were the first one to cast a stone by calling all the mechanics losers. You know, when one resorts to insulting another...it is generally a sign that they were upset...which would and does indicate you are a company man. Someone once said that, I don't agree with it. I've seen many many people insult others and they were not company men.

Why can't we all just get along?:hysterical:On a lighter note I think I'm gonna melt one of these days if I don't get some A/C soon! Hot weather is hard on a fat man!

That wont happen, not caring is fine, not liking your job is fine, resorting to breaking things on purpose and wasting time swinging a load because you're too lazy to change a bulb, that is a whole new level, that puts you in the bottom 20%. This is my opinion, not said to be an insult, you admitted to breaking equipment on purpose and you think that it OK to do so, in my opinion, that makes you a lesser person and in the bottom 20%. You are not as good as the average driver that does a good job and doesn't break anything on purpose. It's that simple. If the truth offends you, too bad, I it's your choice to be in the bottom 20%.

No dreams of a leadmechanic, not a company man. I have no interest in relocating for 50 cents per hour. My dream is to retire and have enough money to do what I want when I do. It wasn't meant to be insulting, that's the way to took it. Read back though, you were the first one to cast a stone by calling all the mechanics losers. You know, when one resorts to insulting another...it is generally a sign that they were upset...which would and does indicate you are a company man. Someone once said that, I don't agree with it. I've seen many many people insult others and they were not company men.

It is nice that you changed your tone a little bit in your post...this one doesnt seem to be as insultaive as the previous one...keep up the good work, and keep your chin up little buck a roo...there is always room for another company man in the chain...and you will be there soon enough.