ABF | Not Much Going On Right Now?

Retirement song... "18 wheels and a dozen roses" by Kathy Mattea.
Can someone please go on youtube and post this video and song..My cuttin' and pastin' skills ain't so good or I would do it...
A good song for ANY retired trucker! Thanks in advance. Not sure if I am going to skip Friday or not..
can't get a letter if I done retired??

I also put down "chili dogs" as the main appetizer...ordered Sterling, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Falstaff as the main
refreshments..what other kind of retirement "goodies" do you recommend?? Chicken wings?

Back in the early days before the rookies could watch us via dashcam, I used to take a can of sardines, vi-ennies, and potted meat (with Saltine crackers of course) to snack when I needed a quick meal due to being pushed to get the freight off and make the pickup before the customer closed.. and if I had some o/t and brought home a good paycheck, my wife would pack me a Moon Pie and RC Cola... and sometimes some hoop cheese..Sound familiar?
RC loyal following , mom and pop pizza place and RC , good chicagoland stuff !

Retirement song... "18 wheels and a dozen roses" by Kathy Mattea.
Can someone please go on youtube and post this video and song..My cuttin' and pastin' skills ain't so good or I would do it...
A good song for ANY retired trucker! Thanks in advance. Not sure if I am going to skip Friday or not..
can't get a letter if I done retired??
Ask and you will receive.

GREAT! To all our retired brothers & sisters.. (and the newest one--ME! on 2/29) !!!!

A fine tribute and timeless video to all! Thanks so much for posting...
If you have never seen this before...enjoy!

I figured out that....10 years from now, someone will say: When did you retire?"......And you can say: "Oh,...about 2 years ago..."

I see what you're up to by retiring on Leap Day........

Definately punch in on Friday,.......and then immediately punch out......Tell 'em you're sick........sick of working,......and you're going home for the next twenty or thirty years to ...recuperate........

Enjoy your last week, Brother 6PakAbs!

I got to give ABF credit, though. The company will recognize your years of service with a few mementos. There are some companies that more or less,....let you just punch out on your last day, and say: "Don't let the door hit you on the a$$ on the way out..."

ABF will show their appreciation at least......And that's a good thing......

You can feel like a fighter pilot,...after the Battle of Midway......aiming for the flight deck.....holding your breath,...and feeling the cables bring your plane to a halt....

Retiring after 30 or so years of driving truck....can feel exactly like that........

I figured out that....10 years from now, someone will say: When did you retire?"......And you can say: "Oh,...about 2 years ago..."

I see what you're up to by retiring on Leap Day........

Definately punch in on Friday,.......and then immediately punch out......Tell 'em you're sick........sick of working,......and you're going home for the next twenty or thirty years to ...recuperate........

Enjoy your last week, Brother 6PakAbs!
When I started driving trucks in 1976, it was an honorable and respected profession. Sadly, that is rarely the case anymore.

I got to give ABF credit, though. The company will recognize your years of service with a few mementos. There are some companies that more or less,....let you just punch out on your last day, and say: "Don't let the door hit you on the a$$ on the way out..."

ABF will show their appreciation at least......And that's a good thing......

You can feel like a fighter pilot,...after the Battle of Midway......aiming for the flight deck.....holding your breath,...and feeling the cables bring your plane to a halt....

Retiring after 30 or so years of driving truck....can feel exactly like that........
I Finnish up my teamster career at abf did eight years , always gave 100 percent, not even a thank you when I left.

I Finnish up my teamster career at abf did eight years , always gave 100 percent, not even a thank you when I left.
That’s too bad. When I left the company I worked for, the division Vice President and the company Vice President of operations gave me their well wishes and a really nice Cathcart jacket with my name on it. The guys I worked with threw me a party at a nice restaurant. I know it wasn’t much and I didn’t expect anything, still it was nice of them to do that. Btw, I had 23 years with them.

That’s too bad. When I left the company I worked for, the division Vice President and the company Vice President of operations gave me their well wishes and a really nice Cathcart jacket with my name on it. The guys I worked with threw me a party at a nice restaurant. I know it wasn’t much and I didn’t expect anything, still it was nice of them to do that. Btw, I had 23 years with them.
Back when I worked at CF ,when a guy retired , the company would have a get together at the terminal, have them gifts, cake, B.A. would come with teamster hat, shirt , jacket, pins , put your picture in teamster paper, when I went , they didn't even get my years of service correct , glad the monthly check is right,

I often questioned my sanity for staying in the truck/freight industry, working the late shift, weekends & missing out on time with my family. I tried to make it up when I finally had seniority to work the day shift. I am fortunate to have a pension while so many others have nothing but SS. I have been visiting with a retired O/O who is in the nursing home here. He worked hard but has no pension. The years on the road took it's toll on his health. There are not many easy jobs in trucking.
Through the years some young men have complained about working shifts & weekends. I always told them freight is much like working on a dairy farm, cows must be milked everyday & trucks move everyday. If you cannot accept that then get a Monday-Friday job.

I never questioned my sanity for working in trucking,.....I took advantage of the "Free Lobotomy" coupon I got with my CDL.......

"Ours is Not To Question Why,......Our Mission is To Deliver Freight ...Or Die......"

By the way,.....I can think of ....several other similarities trucking has with dairy farms........

Back when I worked at CF ,when a guy retired , the company would have a get together at the terminal, have them gifts, cake, B.A. would come with teamster hat, shirt , jacket, pins , put your picture in teamster paper, when I went , they didn't even get my years of service correct , glad the monthly check is right,

That's not right.......You should've gotten some sort of recognition. You're the one whose hands, back and experience actually made the profits......
You can shuffle stacks of paper around,...push computer buttons until you get a blister,....wear out the plush carpet with the wheels on your executive chair.....

But, you didn't move a single stick of freight! Kind of....important...in a Freight company......

Every driver who retires,...in this Lethal Industry(...according to the Dept. of Labor..).......should have a Standing Round of Applause from his fellow workers,....and the abject eternal gratitude of the management staff....

Coming down to the Wire, Bro. 6PakAbs!

You can just about do the countdown in hours and minutes..........
well, since I came down with a case of the carnivous flu, I decided to stay at home on my last day with a "sick day".
I just couldn't stand the idea of an all day party/celebration that might take away from the "productivity" and take away the time the desk jockeys had to watch the monitors...heck, they probably would have scrutinized me to the Nth degree today with all of the conversations that I "might" have had. Oh well, I guess they can just "mail" my gold watch...no, I'd rather have it send via a union carrier such as the USPS,FedEx Ground or UPS..oh my bad..skip the FedEx part..forgot they are mostly outside "contractors"

Funny thing happened this week. If you don't think "The Fort" pays attention to this site, my t/m asked me if I was "6Pak Abs"?
With a smile on my face, I patted my belly and said something like "are you making fun of my physique?" and left it at that.
Oh well...as Kathy Mattea (what a great song and video)says in the video.."gonna spend the rest of his life with the one that he loves".

And one of my favorite songs from the 70's by the Spinners.."I'll Be Around"...as long as there is a internet connection, ole 6Pak be around and keep an eye on ArcBest.. and keep up with all of my TB friends...now on to the coffee and Fox News to see if ArcBest turned me in to be counted with the Coronavirus flu...Heck, I had "Corona" fever at one time but then had to switch back to Sterling and Falstaff when it got so dang expensive!..I guess the extra lemon/lime at the bar added significant costs?.

Last edited:
well, since I came down with a case of the carnivous flu, I decided to stay at home on my last day with a "sick day".
I just couldn't stand the idea of an all day party/celebration that might take away from the "productivity" and take away the time the desk jockeys had to watch the monitors...heck, they probably would have scrutinized me to the Nth degree today with all of the conversations that I "might" have had. Oh well, I guess they can just "mail" my gold watch...no, I'd rather have it send via a union carrier such as FedEx Ground or UPS>

Funny thing happened this week. If you don't think "The Fort" pays attention to this site, my t/m asked me if I was "6Pak Abs"?
With a smile on my face, I patted my belly and said something like "are you making fun of my physique?" and left it at that.
Oh well...as Kathy Mattea says in the video.."gonna spend the rest of his life with the one that he loves".

And one of my favorite songs from the 70's by the Spinners.."I'll Be Around"...as long as there is a internet connection, ole 6Pak be arouund and keep an eye on ArcBest.. and keep up with all of my TB friends...now on to the coffee and Fox News to see if ArcBest turned me in to be counted with the Coronavirus flu...Heck, I had "Corona" fever at one time but then had to switch back to Sterling and Falstaff when it got so dang expensive!..I guess the extra lemon/lime at the bar added significant costs?.
Good luck and congrats, I wish you health and happiness....

I just couldn't stand the idea of an all day party/celebration that might take away from the "productivity" and take away the time the desk jockeys had to watch the monitors...heck, they probably would have scrutinized me to the Nth degree today with all of the conversations that I "might" have had. Oh well, I guess they can just "mail" my gold watch...no, I'd rather have it send via a union carrier such as FedEx Ground or UPS>

Oh well...as Kathy Mattea says in the video.."gonna spend the rest of his life with the one that he loves".

And one of my favorite songs from the 70's by the Spinners.."I'll Be Around"...as long as there is a internet connection, ole 6Pak be around and keep an eye on ArcBest.. and keep up with all of my TB friends...now on to the coffee and Fox News to see if ArcBest turned me in to be counted with the Coronavirus flu...Heck, I had "Corona" fever at one time but then had to switch back to Sterling and Falstaff when it got so dang expensive!..I guess the extra lemon/lime at the bar added significant costs?.
I didn’t want to ruin your retirement post with negativity, but the fort does know who we are and that’s what makes it sad that they do absolutely nothing about confronting the issue’s. I know nothing is perfect but we’re not even close....