ABF | Not Much Going On Right Now?

I didn’t want to ruin your retirement post with negativity, but the fort does know who we are and that’s what makes it sad that they do absolutely nothing about confronting the issue’s. I know nothing is perfect but we’re not even close....
I figured "The Fort " assigns Bubba Gump (Hello Bubba!), I miss your thoughts and insights..too bad that you got banned from posting, but I know that you still read! Enjoy!

I never questioned my sanity for working in trucking,.....I took advantage of the "Free Lobotomy" coupon I got with my CDL.......

"Ours is Not To Question Why,......Our Mission is To Deliver Freight ...Or Die......"

By the way,.....I can think of ....several other similarities trucking has with dairy farms........
is a lobotomy worse than "Castration" ?? both seem kind of painful !

Congratulations on making it to retirement. Hanging up the keys is a real milestone. Love that Kathy Matea song ! Has to be a tad weird though, knowing you don't ever have to climb up behind the wheel again. Very happy for you, may retirement be long and satisfying!

Not really on the weird, after 30 yrs you really don't miss it toooo much!

is a lobotomy worse than "Castration" ?? both seem kind of painful !

All depends on where your Brains are........

Hey! Congratulations! ....Welcome back to the Human Race,........you've Won the Rat Race!

Coronavirus only gets worse if you drink half a case of the "cure"......

Yup,.....They know exactly who we are.......Hello, all those watchers from the Fort!
Those of you who are currently employed,....Please be advised that you are under surveillance,...for controversial statements, or any proprietary information blurted out,....or personal attacks on management..(..deserved or not..)....
They pick through this site,...and others,......to find any sort of defamatory information,...so they can use that to,.....Fire(Silence) any outspoken employee,...or have something to...hang over your head.

A number of years ago,....my BA informed me that ABF threatened some sort of "legal action" if I continued my commentary on a certain Labor man.....
Hah!.........If there were actual grounds,....I'd've been hustled out of the terminal so fast.....my dotted outline would've remained gradually fading out...in the breakroom.

Always know the difference between Free Speech,....and Slander and Libel. Don't cross that line....

Anyway,......You're Retired now! You've got back your Right of Free Speech.....You're allowed to Voice your Opinion.....
I strongly recommend you infest your local McDonald's on a daily basis,....and join the Permanent Group of Opinion-Givers that meet there for several morning hours.........Senior Coffee is 50 cents!

Bro. Seabreeze has presided over his local Chapter so long,..they gave him his own Gavel......

Once again,......A Heartfelt Congratulations!

Not really on the weird, after 30 yrs you really don't miss it toooo much!
30 years retired ! Thats almost as long as I've been working in Trucking ! I knew you'd been retired awhile but sheesh, that really puts things in perspective.

I'll tell you, I've got about 15 years to go and I don't know how much I'll miss it. It's changed sooooooo much just since I started, let alone what you saw. I know they say the good old days weren't always good but I certainly look back on my earlier years fondly in many respects. I know I'm preaching to the choir posting this with this group on TB, but there's a kernel of truth to the "good old days" idea.

30 years retired ! Thats almost as long as I've been working in Trucking ! I knew you'd been retired awhile but sheesh, that really puts things in perspective.

I'll tell you, I've got about 15 years to go and I don't know how much I'll miss it. It's changed sooooooo much just since I started, let alone what you saw. I know they say the good old days weren't always good but I certainly look back on my earlier years fondly in many respects. I know I'm preaching to the choir posting this with this group on TB, but there's a kernel of truth to the "good old days" idea.

I see and understand most of the technology and fancy equipment you guys have today.
I still think trucking was no harder in my days as the traffic and crap you guys deal with today.

I see and understand most of the technology and fancy equipment you guys have today.
I still think trucking was no harder in my days as the traffic and crap you guys deal with today.
Yeah that's the thing that is really getting to me, the other people on the road. The technology just exacerbates it. Things that stupid cars would do, like cut right across in front of you to hit an exit ramp on an interstate were always annoying. Now the truck , if they cut you off close enough, will activate the foundation brakes, hard. And don't get me started on the steering wheel holders in 18 wheelers. I like to tell people I ran illegal in terms of logs ALOT when I started but never unsafe. Under the new HOS and E logs I've been pressured to drive when unsafe. I have enough whiskers and a good enough record/job history to have not been coerced to run unsafely and have told more than one company official if they don't like the way I'm doing my job they can come and get the truck as I will have another job inside of two days, but THEY still attempted to do it. A new guy starting off is not as fortunate. I miss the old one off truck stops too, now it's all just corporate junk , Loves, Pilot, Hook, Petro, TA, they're all the same. The huge influx of foreign drivers irks me too. Oh well, I'm going to go practice yelling "you kids stay off my grass!" and grumbling to myself!

Yeah that's the thing that is really getting to me, the other people on the road. The technology just exacerbates it. Things that stupid cars would do, like cut right across in front of you to hit an exit ramp on an interstate were always annoying. Now the truck , if they cut you off close enough, will activate the foundation brakes, hard. And don't get me started on the steering wheel holders in 18 wheelers. I like to tell people I ran illegal in terms of logs ALOT when I started but never unsafe. Under the new HOS and E logs I've been pressured to drive when unsafe. I have enough whiskers and a good enough record/job history to have not been coerced to run unsafely and have told more than one company official if they don't like the way I'm doing my job they can come and get the truck as I will have another job inside of two days, but THEY still attempted to do it. A new guy starting off is not as fortunate. I miss the old one off truck stops too, now it's all just corporate junk , Loves, Pilot, Hook, Petro, TA, they're all the same. The huge influx of foreign drivers irks me too. Oh well, I'm going to go practice yelling "you kids stay off my grass!" and grumbling to myself!

One thing about PIE, you turned in your logs after each trip, run 15 min over 70, you got a warning letter.

I should add , lest some get the wrong impression of my current employer, R&L, I have never been pressured at my current job.

kinda weird...Sunday nite and not having to report for duty ever again...can anyone give me some insight? Seems insane as to how I feel?

I ran a Mon, Wed, Fri midnight start for years, my choice, I had my pick of runs.
At times I still get the desire but not with todays roads and traffic, plus the extra 30 years tacked on to my fanny.
Very fortunate to have had only one job in my 35 yrs. today it's just fond memories.

kinda weird...Sunday nite and not having to report for duty ever again...can anyone give me some insight? Seems insane as to how I feel?
6 Pak, Your new work week consist of 6 Saturdays & 1 Sunday. If you don't get your project done today there's always tomorrow.
The first 2 to 3 weeks will feel like a vacation, once you get your first pension check, it will kick-in that you don't have to go back to work to survive, & that feel's good. Keep a calendar handy because you will loose track of what day it is. Stay Busy, but also enjoy the day's that you can just kick back if you want to.

I'm kind of a handy guy, so I had people knocking on my door to do things for them, they thought I had nothing but time to take care of their project's even though I had my own to do. So I told them "If I'm setting in my Lazy-Boy---In my underwear---Drinking a Cup of coffee-----Watching the View ------- I'M BUSY!!!!!!!

The only thing I miss are the people. I had a great group of people I worked with (even though we may have had our difference's) & I had some great customer's that I miss . I wish you the best in your retirement, you worked hard to get to this part of your life. ENJOY!

Best advice I got was.........Don't do NOTHING for a year,......Don't promise yourself all the projects,...and your personal memoirs,...will get done in the first few months.

And,....That line of friends and relatives that's forming up outside your door,...with those "little projects" they want you to do,...because .."you got SO MUCH TIME!"......

Tell 'em you charge Union wages,...and time-and-a-half after 8,........That'll cut the line in half, at least.....The rest of them,...(..persistent bunch..)....you tell 'em you're scheduling them in,...and open the biggest ledger you can find,....slowly turn to the last page,....and say: "January 15th 2032,...About 7:30 in the morning?"......

That oughta discourage 'em.......

Then,.....anything you do,...will be an absolute surprise,...and a real feeling of accomplishment,......
...(...and won't interfere with your afternoon naps..)....

6 Pak, Your new work week consist of 6 Saturdays & 1 Sunday. If you don't get your project done today there's always tomorrow.
The first 2 to 3 weeks will feel like a vacation, once you get your first pension check, it will kick-in that you don't have to go back to work to survive, & that feel's good. Keep a calendar handy because you will loose track of what day it is. Stay Busy, but also enjoy the day's that you can just kick back if you want to.

I'm kind of a handy guy, so I had people knocking on my door to do things for them, they thought I had nothing but time to take care of their project's even though I had my own to do. So I told them "If I'm setting in my Lazy-Boy---In my underwear---Drinking a Cup of coffee-----Watching the View ------- I'M BUSY!!!!!!!

The only thing I miss are the people. I had a great group of people I worked with (even though we may have had our difference's) & I had some great customer's that I miss . I wish you the best in your retirement, you worked hard to get to this part of your life. ENJOY!
what day is it anyway? Spring is my season to get up at 2:00 AM on Sunday to change all the clocks..my wife turns the clock back in the fall... I just want to make sure this is done and we get to Church on time...so, is this Wed?