FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Georgia DOT Tests New Striping to Enable Driverless Cars

https://www.govtech.com/fs/transpor...s-New-Striping-to-Enable-Driverless-Cars.html

"High-tech striping isn’t the only technology being deployed along The Ray, named after Ray C. Anderson, a Georgia business leader in green energy.

The state is also deploying a network of six roadside units capable of communicating with autonomous vehicle technologies."
Only good thing about driverless cars is they won’t need any mirrors... Other than that, let the crashing begin. I can’t imagine what I-75 across Georgia will be like.

Arizona trooper shot in ambush attack; Good Samaritan kills gunman

https://abc7.com/news/az-trooper-sh...mvn6sR3SdiE7b_7PVldUQWp2iwy7BESKS_CmoNOzZicCo

"When the trooper began working to block lanes, a suspect came from an unknown direction and "ambushed" him, according to DPS.

The suspect shot him at least once in the chest-shoulder area and fought the trooper to the ground.

A passerby saw the fight unfolding and stopped to render aid to the trooper, who asked for help.

However, the suspect ignored the Good Samaritan's orders to stop attacking the trooper.

That's when the passerby went to his car, grabbed a gun and fatally shot the suspect, reported ABC15.

DPS said the injured trooper, who has been with the department for 27 years, was taken to an area hospital, where he was awaiting surgery. He is in stable condition."

A good guy with a gun... :1036316054:

Seventh Circuit Remands after District Judge Makes Injunction Stickier in Light Beer Corn Syrup Dispute

https://www.natlawreview.com/articl...al News&utm_source=Robly.com&utm_medium=email

"The September decisions were noteworthy for expanding the enjoined activity to encompass Anheuser Busch’s use of packaging featuring the literally true statement “no corn syrup.”

Anheuser-Busch launched the advertising campaign at issue during Super Bowl LIII with a television commercial featuring claims that Miller Lite and Coors Lite are “made with” or “brewed with” corn syrup"

I don't drink light beer, or prefer any of the brands in question. But I know some do...

FMCSA wants public input on how to design a study to identify causes of large truck crashes. More government wasted tax money they mean.
Number 1 cause-speeding, and not paying attention
Number 2, distracted driving.
In 40 plus years in this business, I have never understood how anyone driving a car, or semi at 70 plus miles an hour, while talking on a hand held phone, thinks that’s just fine...

FMCSA wants public input on how to design a study to identify causes of large truck crashes. More government wasted tax money they mean.
Number 1 cause-speeding, and not paying attention
Number 2, distracted driving.
In 40 plus years in this business, I have never understood how anyone driving a car, or semi at 70 plus miles an hour, while talking on a hand held phone, thinks that’s just fine...
I'd be willing to bet that number 2 is actually number 1, despite that narrative that speeding (alone) is the biggest indicator of the likelihood of a crash... Just my opinion, based on casual observation.

I'd be willing to bet that number 2 is actually number 1, despite that narrative that speeding (alone) is the biggest indicator of the likelihood of a crash... Just my opinion, based on casual observation.

Speaking of distracted, it is sad that people cannot put the dam phones down even while working out at a gym.Last night in fact, went to local pizza joint and watched a woman at the next table eating pizza, and salad with one hand, and texting with her left hand, the whole time she was there.

Ports report mixed results for 2019

https://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/20200120-ports-report-mixed-results-for-2019/

RECORD LEVELS AT PORT NOLA

Last year was a record-setter for the Port of New Orleans (Port NOLA), which moved 648,538 twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs), a 10% increase over 2018, officials said. It was the second straight year of double-digit growth at the port; growth was primarily driven by the Panama Canal expansion, the region's petrochemical exports, and a growing market for imports, officials also said.

NEAR-RECORD LEVELS IN L.A.

The Port of Los Angeles moved 9.337 million TEUs in 2019, down 1.28% compared to 2018 and just shy of 2017's second-best year on record, when the port moved 9.343 million TEUs. Officials pointed to lagging exports and trade tensions as reasons for the decline.

VOLUME DIPS IN OAKLAND

At the Port of Oakland, 2019 container volume slipped 1.8% due to fewer empty containers, but officials said loaded import and export containers were at a record high.

FMCSA Gives Bus Drivers Exemption From California Rest-Break Rules

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/fmcsa-gives-bus-drivers-exemption-california-rest-break-rules

"The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has granted a petition submitted by the American Bus Association that exempts bus drivers from following California’s meal-and-rest-break rules."

"The FMCSA found that the California meal-and-rest-break rules provided no safety benefit beyond the federal regulations, and that given the current shortage of available parking for CMVs, the required additional breaks adversely impacted safety because they exacerbated the problem of CMVs parking at unsafe locations."

Grimes,IA.(Moldavia Daily Mirror)
Candidates questioned at town meeting!
Presidential candidate’s were told they were not being fair to drivers employed by Iowa based super carrier Coop Dispatch. A group of Ukraine, and Moldavian drivers, who make up close to 30 percent of Coop’s seniority list, are saying they are being discriminated against by many of the presidential hopefuls unanimous proposal that any immigrant driver must stop at any structure over a state highway, city, and county roads, and physically measure the clearance height. This includes all bridges,pedestrian walkways, loading docks, buildings, or any over hanging permanently secured structure. Driver spokesperson, Dlaf Urasoff, asked how this would not create a burden on the driver, along with safety hazards of stopping at say, every overpass along all 306 miles of Interstate 80 in Iowa. Candidate representatives countered saying, Iowa constituents call our Washington phone lines constantly saying there is a semi blocking the road hauling containers double stacked. Urasoff told many voters in attendance this would also affect, and create shortages of goods to the whole state, especially light bulbs since Coop is the largest hauler of bulbs of all kinds in the US. Calls to Coop’s Cedar Rapids office for comment, were not answered, and it was not yet clear if the group planned protests at other Iowa locations before the upcoming February 3rd, Iowa caucus’.

Status
Not open for further replies.