Would you support this Bill ?

• Yes

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
I remember you saying

Which one is it?

Should the law be all inclusive or shouldn't it? Why does a farmer, waiter or "professional" have the right to render the terms of employment, but nobody else can?

Is there anybody else that should be excluded from the all inclusive law?
Workers in transportation work regular hours for the most part. Waitstaff work for almost insignificant hourly wages since their main source of income comes from tips. Farmers and fishermen work on an irregular, seasonal schedule not conducive to steady, hourly wages. Salaried people like doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. are paid for their expertise, and not on an hourly basis. I see where you want to pick the fly s**t out of the pepper in an attempt to "win" this discussion but I'm done. My points for arguing for the elimination of transportation employees exclusion from overtime stand as stated. There are absolutely no existing reasons or conditions for excluding them any longer.

Workers in transportation work regular hours for the most part. Waitstaff work for almost insignificant hourly wages since their main source of income comes from tips. Farmers and fishermen work on an irregular, seasonal schedule not conducive to steady, hourly wages. Salaried people like doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. are paid for their expertise, and not on an hourly basis. I see where you want to pick the fly s**t out of the pepper in an attempt to "win" this discussion but I'm done. My points for arguing for the elimination of transportation employees exclusion from overtime stand as stated. There are absolutely no existing reasons or conditions for excluding them any longer.

You can stand on it, but the arguments have no merit. It's why you can't back them with anything other than "it's fair". Saying "that's not fair" doesn't get 5 year olds anywhere and it doesn't get this anywhere.

You can stand on it, but the arguments have no merit. It's why you can't back them with anything other than "it's fair". Saying "that's not fair" doesn't get 5 year olds anywhere and it doesn't get this anywhere.
Your arguments are the ones that have no merit. Your only rationale for continuing with the current transportation industry exclusion is "that's the way it's been". You bring up unique special case work situations that have absolutely nothing to do with the way we are paid in our industry. Nice try but no cigar for you, 5 year olds shouldn't be smoking anyway.

Your arguments are the ones that have no merit. Your only rationale for continuing with the current transportation industry exclusion is "that's the way it's been". You bring up unique special case work situations that have absolutely nothing to do with the way we are paid in our industry. Nice try but no cigar for you, 5 year olds shouldn't be smoking anyway.

Nope. My argument was that employees and employers have come to terms with their employment and the government shouldn't be pulling the rug out a hundred years later because they changed their minds. I also said that the biggest issue here was the damage that would be done to consumers during a period of record inflation.

You said what you said and then you try to walk it back because it no longer fits your narrative. I'm used to it.

Nope. My argument was that employees and employers have come to terms with their employment and the government shouldn't be pulling the rug out a hundred years later because they changed their minds. I also said that the biggest issue here was the damage that would be done to consumers during a period of record inflation.

You said what you said and then you try to walk it back because it no longer fits your narrative. I'm used to it.
The government implementing overtime laws in the first place disrupted any "terms of employment" that were in effect at that time for all the industries that law affected. Your contention of a "disruption" affecting "consumers" now by putting transportation under those laws is specious at best. Keep trying though.

The government implementing overtime laws in the first place disrupted any "terms of employment" that were in effect at that time for all the industries that law affected. Your contention of a "disruption" affecting "consumers" now by putting transportation under those laws is specious at best. Keep trying though.

Are you saying that trucking companies won't kick these cost down the ladder? Trucking companies that already operate on single digit profit margins are just going to eat this cost increase? If you say so.

The nonunion carriers have exploited the workers in their companies for the last 40 years with not paying overtime. It has allowed them to undercut pricing An increase profits. It is probably the major reason why most union companies have going out of business. Nonunion carriers need to start paying time and a half after 40. It is the next logical step to attracting and maintaining workers. The exploitation must end.
Now that post is funny coming from you. You say you work here 30+ yrs and yes your location pays OT, but parts of the company doesn't. Yet you were fine with that for years as long as you got yours. This company you have worked for for 30+ yrs has put one union carrier out of business and I'm sure helped push a few over the cliff. I also know at one time Con-way and FedEx teamed up and was price cutting trying to driver YRC out of business, but it didn't work.

So what is the rule of law? Most simply put, it means that laws apply equally to everyone in a democracy, even the most powerful government officials and elected leaders.
We don't want to go down this road. Even a blind man can see this is not happening

Are you saying that trucking companies won't kick these cost down the ladder? Trucking companies that already operate on single digit profit margins are just going to eat this cost increase? If you say so.
In your working career, how many times did you turn down pay increases because you were concerned about the effect those additional costs to the company would in the end be passed down to and hurt the consumer? Somehow I think your altruistic attitude got flushed down the toilet when it came to your own personal finances. Hypocrisy maybe?

I like the back and forth, but you are both missing the big point. No matter what the Govt does the guys running these companies are smarter. They already have a plan in place if this gets changed.
Triplex I use your one point. Fishermen. Most fishermen get paid a % of what the boat makes. Good trip good pay, bad trip bad pay. We will see no more mileage pay and start seeing more load % pays to drivers or this load pays $XXX for this load. We see it here on LH. Fixed mileage is already set up. The company can change it to no more mileage pay and to run from this SIC to FAC and back pays this much. A flat rate which is just like a piece/salary rate employee.

I like the back and forth, but you are both missing the big point. No matter what the Govt does the guys running these companies are smarter. They already have a plan in place if this gets changed.
Triplex I use your one point. Fishermen. Most fishermen get paid a % of what the boat makes. Good trip good pay, bad trip bad pay. We will see no more mileage pay and start seeing more load % pays to drivers or this load pays $XXX for this load. We see it here on LH. Fixed mileage is already set up. The company can change it to no more mileage pay and to run from this SIC to FAC and back pays this much. A flat rate which is just like a piece/salary rate employee.
I respectfully disagree FBN. If anything I believe all work - road, city, dock, will be paid hourly with OT after 8. Time will tell if it ever happens. UPS has been paying TT (Feeder) drivers hourly with OT after 8 forever (I believe anyway). Seems to be no issue there, even for TT drivers running road trips. The only exception to that I believe is the relatively small number of team drivers.

I respectfully disagree FBN. If anything I believe all work - road, city, dock, will be paid hourly with OT after 8. Time will tell if it ever happens. UPS has been paying TT (Feeder) drivers hourly with OT after 8 forever (I believe anyway). Seems to be no issue there, even for TT drivers running road trips. The only exception to that I believe is the relatively small number of team drivers.
Have to ask how many UPS feeder driver do you see sleeping on the side of the road. I sure they are tracked very closly

Have to ask how many UPS feeder driver do you see sleeping on the side of the road. I sure they are tracked very closly
I sleep at home in my bed, I stay awake when I'm supposed to be driving.

PS - When I was a feeder driver at UPS on very rare occasions when I felt sleepy and needed to doze for a short while I explained it when I got in and never had a problem. Of course that happened very, very rarely.

See you are looking at just the LTL world with the OT laws. That is just part of the whole trucking industry. You may not agree with Streaker69 but he has made some good points. When you go to work for a carrier you agree to there working terms. No one forced to take that job. Do like the terms don't work there.

See you are looking at just the LTL world with the OT laws. That is just part of the whole trucking industry. You may not agree with Streaker69 but he has made some good points. When you go to work for a carrier you agree to there working terms. No one forced to take that job. Do like the terms don't work there.
No I'm not, all drivers, LTL and TL should be paid hourly and get OT after 8. That's my opinion. You are of course entitled to a different view.

It's not about how you get paid or how much you get paid per hour. It have much buying power the money you make has in the open market. So go and change the law it will make no difference to the buying power truck driver have now. Sure his wage will go up but so will everything else.

It's not about how you get paid or how much you get paid per hour. It have much buying power the money you make has in the open market. So go and change the law it will make no difference to the buying power truck driver have now. Sure his wage will go up but so will everything else.
Our buying power is decreasing rapidly right now without any changes to the law. What have we got to lose? :smile new:

Could those in large companies ( CEOs , CFOs , consultants , legal teams , etc...) take less? Less perks. Less bonuses. Less stock options. An office building that isn't as fancy. Maybe , a less extravagant retirement.

Maybe make stock buybacks illegal again. There seems to be a direct connection between less investment in lower level employees and the legalization of stock buybacks.
You're one of the few who gets it.

It's not about "inflation" driving down your buying power. It never has been since I entered the workforce 20 years ago (that's right, I'm the young guy on a lot of our threads.) Since the late '90s-early '00s it's been a massive siphoning of wealth to the top shareholders, owners, CEOs, etc at the expense of the workers who make all that income and stock value happen.

What government needs to look for, but has so far lacked the courage to find, is a way to reverse some of that siphoned wealth back to the workers. If it doesn't happen, our middle class will soon disappear and our Republic, already teetering on the brink, will collapse.

Ending the overtime exemption rule for transport workers like us is the first commonsense legislation toward that end we've seen in a long, long time. And your suggestion to "make stock buybacks illegal again" is something that needs to go hand-in-hand with it, because otherwise, these fat cats are just gonna raise rates so they can keep buying more to keep their lifestyles intact, untouched by concerns of "inflation."

You think those bastards worry when the cost of milk and bread goes up 40%? Not a chance.