XPO | Overtime exemption

Would you support this Bill ?

• Yes

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
You're one of the few who gets it.

It's not about "inflation" driving down your buying power. It never has been since I entered the workforce 20 years ago (that's right, I'm the young guy on a lot of our threads.) Since the late '90s-early '00s it's been a massive siphoning of wealth to the top shareholders, owners, CEOs, etc at the expense of the workers who make all that income and stock value happen.

What government needs to look for, but has so far lacked the courage to find, is a way to reverse some of that siphoned wealth back to the workers. If it doesn't happen, our middle class will soon disappear and our Republic, already teetering on the brink, will collapse.

Ending the overtime exemption rule for transport workers like us is the first commonsense legislation toward that end we've seen in a long, long time. And your suggestion to "make stock buybacks illegal again" is something that needs to go hand-in-hand with it, because otherwise, these fat cats are just gonna raise rates so they can keep buying more to keep their lifestyles intact, untouched by concerns of "inflation."

You think those bastards worry when the cost of milk and bread goes up 40%? Not a chance.
I remember Bill Clinton speech saying the CEO's are being compensated at ten times the average workers pay , it started like you said Mr Long

See you are looking at just the LTL world with the OT laws. That is just part of the whole trucking industry. You may not agree with Streaker69 but he has made some good points. When you go to work for a carrier you agree to there working terms. No one forced to take that job. Do like the terms don't work there.
It's not like a public school your forced by law to go to

and why is that. It is funny how all of a sudden Dems want to push a law change they had no care about for since they passed back in 1938. I guess they need something to run on. Can't blame this on Putin
Web-capture_1-5-2022_03644_www.usinflationcalculator.com.md.jpg
You are right on that, but isn't that politics in general? Republicans are going to run on high inflation (and they should).....I don't see either side worrying too much about the working man, so I suppose this is a better late than never situation........btw those inflation numbers from 2012 to 2016 are impressive, but I will add in my normal disclaimer....... both sides suck....

What government needs to look for, but has so far lacked the courage to find, is a way to reverse some of that siphoned wealth back to the workers. If it doesn't happen, our middle class will soon disappear and our Republic, already teetering on the brink, will collapse.
The workers have to take a stand and they also need to vote the right politicians in that will push laws such as the one we’re debating. Unfortunately voter / drivers are being misled by voting issues ( 2A, Abortion , immigration) that keep them from seeing those politicians who tout that are the same ones who make it impossible to Unionize and keep the laws such as the O/T exemption from being revoked.

Find yourself a politician who backs right to work legislation and you found an anti-worker politician. More than likely that same politician would be one that would vote to keep this exemption in place.

Part of the real reason for inflation is the companies are keeping large profit margins they have enjoyed in place while cost are going up by simply passing it on to the consumer. These companies refuse to absorb the cost While CEOs enjoy even larger compensation.

Old Dominion is a good example. They just posted a 70% O/R despite inflation. They are projecting to bring it down into the high 60s. Who do you think is paying for this . If their drivers were paid correctly with time and a half after eight would they be able to do this.

If they paid there driver correctly maybe the O/R might go up to 75 % Which is still traditionally excellent for a trucking company. .25 cents on the dollar is a excellent investment.

Last edited:
Part of the real reason for inflation is the companies are keeping large profit margins they have enjoyed in place while cost are going up by simply passing it on to the consumer. These companies refuse to absorb the cost While CEOs enjoy even larger compensation.

That's what I've been saying for pages :lmao:

Removing this exemption will be no different and they'd be doing it at the worst possible time. People are equating this to reducing CEO salaries when one has nothing to do with the other. A CEO won't get paid less because people get paid more. It's probably the contrary.

Hopefully , this change will take place. Including working people ( like dockworkers and truck drivers ) in a system that has worked for companies and their workers for decades.

Maybe it will bring some changes ( for the better ) in a few other areas.

Being held at a distribution center/warehouse for hours at a time. As an LTL person I've witnessed OTR people being held for ridiculous amounts of time. If they are paid hourly , and the meter is running , maybe the price penalty will be enough to change how business is done.

Then the argument of safety comes to mind. If drivers are paid hourly ( instead of per mile ) the incentive to speed is less. Wasn't this the motive for some of the changes in California?

Then the argument of safety comes to mind. If drivers are paid hourly ( instead of per mile ) the incentive to speed is less. Wasn't this the motive for some of the changes in California?

People are either safe or they aren't. I know plenty of city drivers that get time and a half after 8 that speed and do things I consider to be reckless. When I ask why, they say it's just the way my mind works. I'm sure most of you see guys that operate the way too.

You're saying the exemption should be removed for safety reasons, but I'm pretty sure you'd be against the government regulating how fast you can go, limiting the speed of all CMVs to 60 MPH. There are already laws in place to keep the commuting public safe. People either follow those laws or they don't.

Companies can do this without adding to consumer inflation to any large degree by absorbing the cost. Yeah, CEO’s may have to take a pay cut but the profits are there. The exploitative law has to go.
The argument the drivers have to take the sole hit to keep inflation in check is poor.

Hopefully , this change will take place. Including working people ( like dockworkers and truck drivers ) in a system that has worked for companies and their workers for decades.

Maybe it will bring some changes ( for the better ) in a few other areas.

Being held at a distribution center/warehouse for hours at a time. As an LTL person I've witnessed OTR people being held for ridiculous amounts of time. If they are paid hourly , and the meter is running , maybe the price penalty will be enough to change how business is done.

Hours ,some poor driver DAYS that 84 side guy has probably been through that

Old Dominion is a good example. They just posted a 70% O/R despite inflation. They are projecting to bring it down into the high 60s. Who do you think is paying for this . If their drivers were paid correctly with time and a half after eight would they be able to do this.

If they paid there driver correctly maybe the O/R might go up to 75 % Which is still traditionally excellent for a trucking company. .25 cents on the dollar is a excellent investment.
Me at the store ,OR at 75 store price still high ,me more cash in my pocket

Companies can do this without adding to consumer inflation to any large degree by absorbing the cost. Yeah, CEO’s may have to take a pay cut but the profits are there. The exploitative law has to go.
The argument the drivers have to take the sole hit to keep inflation in check is poor.

Would you agree to a pay cut so that other people can pay less for goods and services?

I don't think you would, but you expect executives to be willing to do that. I can assure you, they won't. Can you name 1 time in history where customers solved a fiscal crisis by having their CEOs take a pay cut? At bare minimum, they'll take a dollar decrease and make it up with stocks.

2008, executives got bailed out and bonuses. COVID, executives got ppp loans (probably forgiven) and bonuses.

They'll increase prices and cut costs as long as it doesn't effect their lifestyle. Guess who that impacts? The customers and the low level employees. I'm still waiting for somebody to prove me wrong with solid evidence.