XPO | Pallet Jacks?

Xph has 3 electric jacks. It came down to if they wanted the real heavy pallets moved / injury free then we needed electric jacks. Union made a request and we got them. Same with non power jacks. If you want freight delivered than we need the tools to do so. We are an extremely busy terminal though I can understand how non represented smaller barns would struggle to get the right tools. Xpo will not spend money unless forced too.

XCV has had them for a few years. Drivers made the request, and they got them.

All I can add was at one point guys we’re so desperate they were cutting locks and stealing them…no, I’m not kidding. So much for integrity huh?

That is what I would do....more guys need to stand up for themselves...
This is one of the biggest problem in the trucking industry and even more so here at XPO. To many guys that don't care. I seem equipment put O/S by one driver then past on to another driver that will drive and pull anything. Some here take pride in being a Professional Truck driver and do the right thing by putting bad equipment O/S but when that work is ignored and passed to a will do anything driver the standard just goes down.

This is one of the biggest problem in the trucking industry and even more so here at XPO. To many guys that don't care. I seem equipment put O/S by one driver then past on to another driver that will drive and pull anything. Some here take pride in being a Professional Truck driver and do the right thing by putting bad equipment O/S but when that work is ignored and passed to a will do anything driver the standard just goes down.
I think your putting the sole responsibility on drivers for the equipment being poorly maintained. A good maintenance program solves this problem.

I think your putting the sole responsibility on drivers for the equipment being poorly maintained. A good maintenance program solves this problem.
I don't care how good of a maintenance program you put out equipment still breaks. It is the driver responsibility to per-trip his equipment and report and defects.

All I can add was at one point guys we’re so desperate they were cutting locks and stealing them…no, I’m not kidding. So much for integrity huh?
The supervisors should be cutting off personal locks and unlocking company locks with a master if need be. This isn't our equipment and everyone should have access.

And, yes, I am a city driver and enjoy using the same equipment every day, but locking stuff up is nonsense. If you do and somebody needs a jack, then the bolt cutters come calling.

The supervisors should be cutting off personal locks and unlocking company locks with a master if need be. This isn't our equipment and everyone should have access.

And, yes, I am a city driver and enjoy using the same equipment every day, but locking stuff up is nonsense. If you do and somebody needs a jack, then the bolt cutters come calling.
Locking up pallet jacks is not permitted at our barn and they will be cut if it is done. However pallet jacks are assigned and the username is written on them. We have very little problem honoring those assignments that are barn. That being said we have had pallet jacks the stolen by cartage drivers that way are using at our terminal daily. We are still using anywhere from 6 to 12 cars trucks a day at our barn. The only reason we have a shortage of Jacks Is because of the staff and management slow response to replace the pallet jacks.

I don't care how good of a maintenance program you put out equipment still breaks. It is the driver responsibility to per-trip his equipment and report and defects.
It is the drivers responsibility to do a pre-trip I one hundred percent agree with you and ride up defective equipment or place it out of service. However, it is the current companies responsibility 100% to maintain the equipment and repair the equipment in a timely manner. Poor maintenance or running a maintenance program based purely on lowering the OR Has taken its affect on our fleet in a negative manner. I no longer consider our fleet well-maintained but rather maintained enough just to get by.
To blame drivers for the current lack of maintenance or should I say scheduled maintenance is just wrong.

To blame drivers for the current lack of maintenance or should I say scheduled maintenance is just wrong.
Were did I say I was blaming the drivers for the maintenance program?????
Oh wait there is one place we can blame the drivers. When the shop calls for a peice of equipment to be brought to the shop for scheduled mainenance and the driver refuses to take it, as long as it's safe to operate, then we can blame the driver

Were did I say I was blaming the drivers for the maintenance program?????
Oh wait there is one place we can blame the drivers. When the shop calls for a peice of equipment to be brought to the shop for scheduled mainenance and the driver refuses to take it, as long as it's safe to operate, then we can blame the driver
Shouldn't the driver make the final determination on if equipment they have to operate ( and are responsible for if something goes wrong ) is safe or not?

The answer is yes. Yes a driver should make the call of safe or not to drive. PreTrip inspection issues. Previous red tag with no repair. A few things that make it EASY to say not safe to drive.

Sure , blame the driver if they say no to moving/operating unsafe equipment , but drivers can say no based on if they find equipment unsafe

Well…..
you were one of the 2 that voted no on this poll.

5FC6CFAD-DEAC-45BF-9BDB-EFE891E0E5AA.md.jpg
Like I said were did I say I blame the drivers for the maintenance? That poll ask if the company is infringing on proper maintenance to lower cost. I don't know why I tell you, you wrote it. I also stand by my vote. Maybe you need to do a poll on if the driver are at fault for the lack of maintenance.

Shouldn't the driver make the final determination on if equipment they have to operate ( and are responsible for if something goes wrong ) is safe or not?

The answer is yes. Yes a driver should make the call of safe or not to drive. PreTrip inspection issues. Previous red tag with no repair. A few things that make it EASY to say not safe to drive.

Sure , blame the driver if they say no to moving/operating unsafe equipment , but drivers can say no based on if they find equipment unsafe
Also I did state "Scheduled Maintenance". I stated nothing about Red tags and write-ups.

Locking up pallet jacks is not permitted at our barn and they will be cut if it is done. However pallet jacks are assigned and the username is written on them. We have very little problem honoring those assignments that are barn. That being said we have had pallet jacks the stolen by cartage drivers that way are using at our terminal daily. We are still using anywhere from 6 to 12 cars trucks a day at our barn. The only reason we have a shortage of Jacks Is because of the staff and management slow response to replace the pallet jacks.
Our biggest "stealing pallet jacks" issue is that sometimes you know you need a narrow or wide jack and yours is the opposite size. So you need to grab "another person's" jack (we don't have extras usually).

Most of the guys are good about this. We all like using the same gear every day but we also understand that our material conditions dictate certain things.

But we also have the people who flip their lid about someone borrowing "their" jack. It's nonsense. Same guys hide their handheld at night or take them home. Can't bear the thought of someone else touching their precious. Weird ass dudes.

Just help each other out and stop crying.

Our biggest "stealing pallet jacks" issue is that sometimes you know you need a narrow or wide jack and yours is the opposite size. So you need to grab "another person's" jack (we don't have extras usually).

Most of the guys are good about this. We all like using the same gear every day but we also understand that our material conditions dictate certain things.

But we also have the people who flip their lid about someone borrowing "their" jack. It's nonsense. Same guys hide their handheld at night or take them home. Can't bear the thought of someone else touching their precious. Weird ass dudes.

Just help each other out and stop crying.
Some city drivers work more than 12 hours daily. Some have regular stops that require phone calls. Having the same handheld allows those work phone numbers to be stored on a work phone.

In most cases , the drivers that have equipment assigned to them ( or try to take responsibility for a certain piece of equipment ) tend to take better care of that equipment.

From what I've seen , management rarely gets involved to stop abuse of the equipment drivers use ( misplaced handhelds , pallet jacks left here and there , tractors trashed....)

Why wouldn't a person be proactive and try and keep a tractor or handheld clean and/or operating correctly? ( away from the person or people trashing it )

They should be assigned based off the needs of the routes. We have dsrs at my term that take a jack every day and there route consists of sitting on there ass all day doing nothing, meanwhile in the real world…someone else could be putting it to good use.