XPO | Pay and Benefit Package

I hate my job... but I do it and I do it well. I don't like the way Con-way treats us but then again... I know where the door is too. Someday I will use it. I don't plan to retire from Con-way, never did. Just a means to an end. But today, all the LTL companies are worse off than Con-way (except ODFL)... just look at the stock market:

Symbol Price Change

CNW 18.88 -0.12 -0.63%

FDX 46.96 -0.71 -1.49%

YRCW 2.76 -0.04 -1.43%

ODFL 24.13 -0.37 -1.51%

VTN.TO (Vitran) 5.64 +0.44 +8.46%

ABFS 20.31 -0.44 -2.12%

SAIA 9.91 -0.59 -5.62%

Total (USD) $0.00 0.00 0.00%
Cumulative 0.00 0.00%

The thing with Con-way is that they know they pay the top wages in the LTL business and if you want the money they're going to work your @$$ off. Again... "if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on your way out" (quote from Dave M).

UPS May have dropped in the stock market, but UPSF made a profit last quarter, a big one, I am completely AMAZED , we have zone terminals popping up everywhere ( sound familiar) , and the sales force is being whipped.

I am anxious to see what happens this year. Hope it is nothing I may regret. So what does Conway Top off in wages/ HR. City/Road?

Pay and bennies are good. Takes pretty long to top out but is nice when you do. OT at 40 is also a plus. I have my opinions about certain people in management but to answer your question - yes, I'm satisfied the with pay and benefits at Con-way.

Jake...not to split hairs here, but OT after 8 hrs for that day.:clap:

UPS May have dropped in the stock market, but UPSF made a profit last quarter, a big one, I am completely AMAZED , we have zone terminals popping up everywhere ( sound familiar) , and the sales force is being whipped.

I am anxious to see what happens this year. Hope it is nothing I may regret. So what does Conway Top off in wages/ HR. City/Road?

Do you have the UPS "Freight" numbers handy..??? I understand from their corporate report and call that Freight made money in the 4th quarter, but they weren't bragging about it..They didn't want to share exact numbers..in fact, their finance guy is quoted as saying "Freight managed to make money"...hardly the ringing endorsement..However, profit in that 4th quarter of any kind should not be frowned on...take it and run to the hills...And see if you can do it again in the 1st quarter of 09...that's going to be a trick for anyone given the economic news everyday...

Do you have the UPS "Freight" numbers handy..??? I understand from their corporate report and call that Freight made money in the 4th quarter, but they weren't bragging about it..They didn't want to share exact numbers..in fact, their finance guy is quoted as saying "Freight managed to make money"...hardly the ringing endorsement..However, profit in that 4th quarter of any kind should not be frowned on...take it and run to the hills...And see if you can do it again in the 1st quarter of 09...that's going to be a trick for anyone given the economic news everyday...

Dude Box UPS aint got started yet in the freight business. Look how the UPS parcel division is run....thats the future when they sink their teeth into it. Their freight operation is fragmented now is fragmented now but if UPS wants to roll, they will do it uniformly and efficiently. Just look how they maintain their parcel equipment, down to a science.

By the way if you see a Cellphoneshop.net advertisement I did not put it there..........

Yes you are correct, we did not make a big profit per say, but we did make a profit, that was turned back into the company, Hence the lack of enthusiasm for the report. We do have alot of junk in the system that does need to be replaced, we also on a monthly basis have computer upgrades, software upgrades, we now are starting trailer scans to track freight, all of this is above and beyond our operating expenses, or known as the "GOODWILL IMPAIRMENT CHARGE" they do quote this in the quarterly investor conference calls, I did not however hear the latest.

UPS has been taking this approach since they bought us out, so is this free floating capital, NO, It is more or less a monetary reinvestment program or goodwill impairment charge affecting the bottom line . I will say we are ( as everyone else) effected by the economy as loosing 29 million in profit in referance to forth quarter of last year (2008) in comparison to 4th quarter of the prior year (2007) . In referance to realtime figures (4th quarter of 2008) , 53 million profit between SCS and Freight . Our figures are usually combined with supply chain and usually shown as 1 figure. Total combined revanue of 2.2 billion ,Well in the ballpark give or take a couple million.

Conway pays 23.55/hr and also has the same Overtime rules as upsf? Do they have a pension plan too? Are they union? They must be...

Conway pays 23.55/hr and also has the same Overtime rules as upsf? Do they have a pension plan too? Are they union? They must be...

You betcha Red Rider.........Our pension plan pays 100% of your average pay for the whole time you work here, and you get it after only 4 yrs of work.....and it's free....they pay for the whole thing....

Of course we are Union, how could we have benefits like that without one????

Oh....I almost forgot.....Our health Insurance pays 100% of everything: All doc visits, all prescriptions, everything....and that is paid by the company also, we don't have to put in a dime......

gotta love that union of ours....

In the "pros and Cons" thread someone said that conway was NOT union? And you say that it is? So can someone else respond definitively to this. Thanks.

I look forward to seeing 2 more happy Employee's from Conway. I'm sure your going to get plenty of drivers that enjoy there job at Conway, pay and benefits. I worked at CF for 15 years. I know every time we got a good contract Conway's drivers got good raises. Isn't it kind of funny that Conway pays almost exactly what a union company pays. I think a lot of drivers that are not with the union wait to see what the Teamsters get on a contract knowing full well it will affect there pay and have for years. I can't wait to see what happens if YRC goes out of business. Trust me, I would hate to see this happen because I think wages and benefits would decrees exponentially after the Teamsters move on to bigger and better things. They already represent thousands of police officers and all other kinds of workers across the nation. Everything from cops to airline stewardesses. The Teamsters will be around for a long time but will they be representing truck drivers and dock workers across the country? I guess for that we'll have to wait and see. I wonder how the benefits and pay would be affected if it was one on one, the company and employee to negotiate there wages and benefits in this Industry.

In the "pros and Cons" thread someone said that conway was NOT union? And you say that it is? So can someone else respond definitively to this. Thanks.
The guy before you was being very sarcastic. We are not a part of the Teamsters nor any other union.

UPSF, if this is what you are referring to, is union except for 4 terminals, we get $22.50 an hr. Top end until june then it will be $23.25 if I am correct do not have the hard figures now, pention and 401,(401 with no contribution) as well as a stock purchase plan, we pay $30 a week for the family plan and have a choice of 4 plans, we also have script, vision, dental, attorney ins. aflack, auto ins discounts, as well as a slew of other things.

OT after 8 or 40, the contract, a slew of other things as well.

From reading around here it looks like we have the highest top rate of any LTL. Is 23.55 and .555 the highest in the LTL industry?

From reading around here it looks like we have the highest top rate of any LTL. Is 23.55 and .555 the highest in the LTL industry?
Yeah, but let's don't get too big a head over the issue and try to rub it in other people faces. Like some people tend to do. It's better to just be modest about the whole issue of pay.

Yeah, but let's don't get too big a head over the issue and try to rub it in other people faces. Like some people tend to do. It's better to just be modest about the whole issue of pay.

It was just my curiosity. Nothing else. This goes back to what I've always said. Most of the good LTL pay & benefit packages are about the same in the end. Our rate might be slightly higher than say UPSF, but they gain it back with better bennies.

Humility is a virtue...I for one appreciate the fact that CGO is only considering that as a last resort...But given the first quarter so far, nothing would surprise me now...

I don't think I was being sarcastic! well OK maybe just a little. I just wanted to say that employee's of Conway enjoy a lot of the pay and benifits they have because of the Teamsters. I also wanted to make it very clear that if the Teamsters go away that things are not in any way shape or form going to get better for men and women in our Industry.