TForce | Pensions, questions asked and answered

Call the retirement department and see if they will mail you the Summary Plan Description. I had them mail mine many many years ago. I am not sure if they will with the current sale happening but its worth a try. I retired last year. There were no secrets and i got exactly what i signed up for regarding the pension after 30 years of service.
Thank You! I got with my B.A. this morning and he was able to email me a PDF of it. If anyone is looking for it I guess it is called the UPS Freight Pension Plan "Summary Plan Description" and was distributed a long time ago, dated Jan 1. 2014. I finally have something in print. Whew, peace of mind.

There is a 6% penalty for every year If you have less than 25 years in the pension and are not 65 years of age.

There is a 6% penalty for every year If you have less than 25 years in the pension and are not 65 years of age.
You can retire at 60 with 25 years at full pension, or 55 with 30 years at full pension.
If you retire at 60 with 20 years you will get 70% of pension at 60, 76% at 61, 82% at 62, 88% at 63, 94% at 64 and then 100% at 65 and then on forward.

The problem is for those that are close to having 25 yeas in the ups/OVNT pension that are looking to retire in a few years. Now they can’t without penalty. Where TFI picks up I’m guess you will have to continue working until you are 65 in TFI pension so you are not penalized. We will have to ride it out to see what happens.

For what it is worth. It was explained to me that UPS will cease contributions on 4/30/21, it will be "frozen". TFI will begin contribution 5/01/21, it will continue to add toward your 25 or 30 or whatever.
It will be drawn out of 2 separate funds when you retire. I guess that means if you have 20 years for UPS and 10 years for TFI you will draw from 2 different funds with a total of 30.
Clear as mud.
Have yet to see anything in writing, except for a few "updates", ask 3 people, get 3 answers..

For what it is worth. It was explained to me that UPS will cease contributions on 4/30/21, it will be "frozen". TFI will begin contribution 5/01/21, it will continue to add toward your 25 or 30 or whatever.
It will be drawn out of 2 separate funds when you retire. I guess that means if you have 20 years for UPS and 10 years for TFI you will draw from 2 different funds with a total of 30.
Clear as mud.
Have yet to see anything in writing, except for a few "updates", ask 3 people, get 3 answers..
That,s the way our guys draw theirs that transferred from Charlotte's local 71 to Hagerstown Md.

Clear as mud.
I hope you are correct.

I hope you are correct.
Correct at least till July 31, 2023. Then, anyone's guess...
So far it is all hearsay, even from the people that should know.
This is the #1 issue for Union workers during this transition, or it should be. IMHO of course.
Look for bits and pieces leak out for the next 11 days, then Whammo 4/30/21 all at once.

When we were first purchased by UPS we drew from two different funds if you retired in the first few years of the purchase you were receiving two pension checks, one from Overnnite and one from UPS which were eventually combined to one check from UPS.

seebreeze, did you have the El dorado or Fleetwood Cadilac procedure? :lmao:
Not sure, it was the cheap model. Seriously, I had 20/15 vision after surgery.
I'm beginning to lose a little of closeup.
I still read without glasses unless it's very small print.