XPO | Personnel Supervisors

Sorry for the delay in responding to an earlier post, I was not a personnel supervisor, I was an FOS. I find it funny since they had just sent me to the crystal palace for training and I did a search on the internet and they are posting FOS openings in other states. I do not know. I am to meet with my TM on monday to find out about a few items.
Marty just hired 2 FOS off the street last week.

Supervisor of Employee Relations and Training...They handle all new employee orientation
( Business is light right now), and they also handle all initial contact in termination cases with employees, investigations in service centers if there are employee complaints, etc...they work directly for the Directors of Employee Relations in each Area...each region has one..
Business is light now but it won't be when the quarterly mandatory terminations start. I hope this is not true but for several months now I have been consistantly hearing that this is a product of the new Sigma program. I don't think this is a BS rumor because it has been said by a couple of differant FOS at differant terminals and a SCM. Supposedly everyone gets a quarterly evaluation and those that have the weakest evaluation are shown the door. In theory each service center will lose at least one employee quarterly..... I could go on and on with this but I won't waste everyones time.

Business is light now but it won't be when the quarterly mandatory terminations start. I hope this is not true but for several months now I have been consistantly hearing that this is a product of the new Sigma program. I don't think this is a BS rumor because it has been said by a couple of differant FOS at differant terminals and a SCM. Supposedly everyone gets a quarterly evaluation and those that have the weakest evaluation are shown the door. In theory each service center will lose at least one employee quarterly..... I could go on and on with this but I won't waste everyones time.
If they get me in one of them quarters, then I hope it's after the 2nd qtr. when the weather is nice.:biglaugh:

This makes absolutely no sense. "Quarterly mandatory terminations?...what the hell kind of management tactic is that?

The Lean Six Sigma program is to cut costs and therefore become just what it says...leaner and presumably more efficient and cost effective.

The evalutions are nothing new. We have had them before. They seemed to mean little as those employees not pulling their weight were still in place after the fact. The evaluations were done by the SCM. Is it going to be the SCM that is going to be burdened with the task of deciding who goes and who stays with these "quarterly mandatory terminations"? That will certainly make for a great relationship with between the SCM and his staff!

It will be unity...not division that will premeditate the success or failure of each service center. The idea of mandatory terminations is assinine. What happens when a SCM runs out of slackers to terminate? Will the SCM be forced to eliminate good employees just to satisfy the LSS specification? (NOTE...flamers don't even go there!!!)

Whoever told you this is nuts!

Everyone knows there is some weeding to be done...and I guarantee you there will be those who will not make it. The stakes are just too high to continue to permit the status quo. Con-Way management is not as stupid as you (and sometimes I) would like to think.

We have a good, well trained bank of people. Most are worthy of their salt...some are not. Those who fall into the latter definintion will find extreme difficulty in the near term. The old days of seniority and time in grade carrying weight are over...or as the old saying goes..."you are either part of the solution or part of the problem." God help you if you are part of the problem.

Con-Way is not about to eliminate good employees just to meet some percieved notion of mandatory terminations. Besides this is not what the LSS program is all about. The costs associated with hiring and training new employees is very high. If you will recall, in a video some time back John L. made the statement to the effect of working DSRs OT rather than hiring and training new people due to the cost factor.

Spare me the argument of eliminating those people at top pay as opposed to hiring new people at starting wage as they work cheaper. There is more to that algorithm than you can imagine. People with experience are much more cost effective than those who have little or no expertise in there given job classification.

If you don't believe this than just look at the job ads. Everyone wants experience! Who would Con-Way hire?...someone with no LTL experience or someone with LTL experience? The answer is obvious.

Con-Way is dead serious bout the LSS program...and it will not be a spectator sport. Everyone form the top down will be expected to participate and contribute. If you are one who thinks you will buck the system I have just one suggestion...update your resume.

If you think you have been micro-managed and under the microscope before...you haven't seen anything yet!

Forewarned is forearmed!!!

Rat :loser:

I cannot even begin to describe to you the emotions I had while reading your post...among them, total laughter, so I apologize to you in advance...among the other emotions, horror..
Horror, because if it is true, we have SCMs and FOSs running around spewing this, I will just say it as it is, $hit, from their mouths without having A CLUE as to what they are talking about..
Quarterly Mandatory Terminations..?!?!?!?! You have to get to the really good drugs to even begin to fathom this, much less dream it up as a good drug induced illusion...This is nothing, and I mean anywhere close to nothing, that Lean Six Sigma is about...
I have attended the meetings, I have heard it from the proverbial "horse's mouth", the man leading this new endeavor, and I can only say to any of you to trust me when I tell you that not one time did anything even remotely come up resembling what was described above...
I do know that annual evaluations will continue, in the same vein as they always have, for all management personnel..I know, because I have to do them each year..
When I said "business was light", I meant there is very little hiring going on anywhere in the country right now, so not much need for NEO sessions..

Lean Six Sigma has but one goal: Total Customer Satisfaction...and that is to be achieved through effective and efficient processes, along with determining and eliminating waste throughout our system...You will hear more at tomorrow's meeting... Understand that waste manifests itself in many forms, but human beings are not at the top of any list...This company is loaded down with alot of good people, and we need to do the E-E-W stuff to insure we keep as many as possible and add to the ranks...growth is success, and anyone who tells you otherwise is face to face with a hemroid (sorry, that was as polite as I could make that)

I cannot even begin to describe to you the emotions I had while reading your post...among them, total laughter, so I apologize to you in advance...among the other emotions, horror..
Horror, because if it is true, we have SCMs and FOSs running around spewing this, I will just say it as it is, $hit, from their mouths without having A CLUE as to what they are talking about..
Quarterly Mandatory Terminations..?!?!?!?! You have to get to the really good drugs to even begin to fathom this, much less dream it up as a good drug induced illusion...This is nothing, and I mean anywhere close to nothing, that Lean Six Sigma is about...
I have attended the meetings, I have heard it from the proverbial "horse's mouth", the man leading this new endeavor, and I can only say to any of you to trust me when I tell you that not one time did anything even remotely come up resembling what was described above...
I do know that annual evaluations will continue, in the same vein as they always have, for all management personnel..I know, because I have to do them each year..
When I said "business was light", I meant there is very little hiring going on anywhere in the country right now, so not much need for NEO sessions..

Lean Six Sigma has but one goal: Total Customer Satisfaction...and that is to be achieved through effective and efficient processes, along with determining and eliminating waste throughout our system...You will hear more at tomorrow's meeting... Understand that waste manifests itself in many forms, but human beings are not at the top of any list...This company is loaded down with alot of good people, and we need to do the E-E-W stuff to insure we keep as many as possible and add to the ranks...growth is success, and anyone who tells you otherwise is face to face with a hemroid (sorry, that was as polite as I could make that)

Boss..you're scaring me...I am starting to think as you or vice versa...

I'm callin' Mom...she'll know what to do...

Rat :biglaugh:

Lean Six Sigma

read here about lean six sigma

blue67 left a comment that stated what he thought was going on. If it's not true, then so be it. How about just telling him that it's possibly not true. You and mIdrat did not have to just totally crucify the guy. Sorry, just taking up for one of my fellow Texans.. :)

blue67 left a comment that stated what he thought was going on. If it's not true, then so be it. How about just telling him that it's possibly not true. You and mIdrat did not have to just totally crucify the guy. Sorry, just taking up for one of my fellow Texans.. :)

Sorry you took it that way, I had zero intention of crucifying anyone...I was laughing and horrified at the same time to think that we have folks in management positions anywhere that have somehow interpreted LSS to be what 67 was describing they said...The fact that he brought it to light, I am grateful for that...It just makes me wonder about the quality of folks we have running service centers around the country, that's all..
I gave a lengthy answer in the hope of heading others off at the pass before anyone went running around telling everyone something that was completely untrue...you know what I mean: "Guess what I heard?"...

:hide:
Think of the savings! Eventually, the SCM would be the only employee left, and next quarter he would terminate himself!:smilie_132:

:biglaugh:Hey nobody has to apoligize to me. I have pretty thick skin and don't get my feelings hurt at harsh words. What's got me scratching my head is that I have heard this from differant levels of management,some who don't know each other some who do. I do not know this as fact and apoligize for making it seem so.....my mistake. It makes no sense to me either. I don't think these individuals are hitting the pipe,but they may be.:smilie_132: I think what it boils down to is change brings uncertainty and uncertainty brings wild imaginations.

:biglaugh:Hey nobody has to apoligize to me. I have pretty thick skin and don't get my feelings hurt at harsh words. What's got me scratching my head is that I have heard this from differant levels of management,some who don't know each other some who do. I do not know this as fact and apoligize for making it seem so.....my mistake. It makes no sense to me either. I don't think these individuals are hitting the pipe,but they may be.:smilie_132: I think what it boils down to is change brings uncertainty and uncertainty brings wild imaginations.
:hide:
Blue67: I think the last sentence in the above post carries a lot of weight.:smilie_132:

Just found out today that our PS's position has been elliminated here at XCF too. Since he has a CDL he will be moving to a P&D route this coming monday. The bad part for him is he has to go to the flex board. The good thing is, he still has a job.:nutkick: