Pictures and Videos

I'm sure most of you have never crossed the old bridge at Vicksburg across the Mississippi.
If you've crossed at night while meeting a Greyhound, reached out the other window and touched a train, and still come off the other end
with clean underwear, you're entitled to be called a truck driver.
You would be very surprised what I used for bridges.

The most outrageous situation happened in Connecticut I think route 8 which is like a semi interstate. Well dispatcher and receiver swore up and down I needed to use that road. Fine so be it. I sail up the ramp and was confronted with bare dirt and big signs saying use at own risk under piles of legalese.

Fine, whatever.

I get to the first of three bridges. Construction crap all over the new deck, Offset in school has nothing on this.

Bridge two was ok. Creaky but not bad. I was loaded all the way to 81500.

The third one however got my goat. It had no deck. Just the underbeams going from approach abutment to pier and another pier to the other end's abutment over a river below.

Hm.

Put the steer tires and found the perfect fit to the beams. The outside tires of tractor and trailer hung over open air and water. And the bridge had a slight curve to it too.

A few shot glasses and proceeded on. The doing was stressful but that's just the nerves talking.

Aint doing that again. But like a dummy I had to, otherwise it's the newburgh bridge going out west. Not liking that option in rush traffic.

Did I mention that there was a rumble of thunder and rain as I surveyed the bare dirt going back with lockers in and 20 pallets in the nose?

You would be very surprised what I used for bridges.

The most outrageous situation happened in Connecticut I think route 8 which is like a semi interstate. Well dispatcher and receiver swore up and down I needed to use that road. Fine so be it. I sail up the ramp and was confronted with bare dirt and big signs saying use at own risk under piles of legalese.

Fine, whatever.

I get to the first of three bridges. Construction crap all over the new deck, Offset in school has nothing on this.

Bridge two was ok. Creaky but not bad. I was loaded all the way to 81500.

The third one however got my goat. It had no deck. Just the underbeams going from approach abutment to pier and another pier to the other end's abutment over a river below.

Hm.

Put the steer tires and found the perfect fit to the beams. The outside tires of tractor and trailer hung over open air and water. And the bridge had a slight curve to it too.

A few shot glasses and proceeded on. The doing was stressful but that's just the nerves talking.

Aint doing that again. But like a dummy I had to, otherwise it's the newburgh bridge going out west. Not liking that option in rush traffic.

Did I mention that there was a rumble of thunder and rain as I surveyed the bare dirt going back with lockers in and 20 pallets in the nose?
use to call route 8 the ho che min trail

Alright. Who was driving the big yellow cabovers in the first 2 minutes if this clip.
1974. Where were you? I was too young. And I'm still afraid of heights. No cabovers for me. Grateful Dead Equiptment haulers. Before they invented drug tests and breathilizers I'm sure.