XPO | President Obama and President John L

Hi folks....Just got back from la. with my daughter and had a great time conway didn.t exist.....found out about losing my four weeks of vacation and I finally thru in the towel, Ive added up my loses and I am angry. I've taken all I can and then some. Approx. 15% paycut (5%in pay ,5%in retirement for 401,3%in transition .)My retirement at 65 is around 700 per month at my age 60, I can't recover. I know John and box boss you are right he is a good man but he works for a worthless board of directors. As older drivers we have been screwed and I for one didn't like it. I have always been against the union but right now I am against the board. I have been blessed in my life to work with a co. whose founder and pres. treated us very well. I worked in mgmt. for a few years but it became to political after the owner retired and I quit and came to work for conway, what they did was sell me a bill of goods . I've always given 110 % and people who know me will tell you the same. I'll still give it my all even with my broken down body......I will still give the customers great service and hold my head high, but if I were the board of directors I would only say one thing to them YOU ARE WRONG..........

I have to agree with you 100%,Its really a shame that they can take this position,and have the attitude that"if you dont like it thers is the door,,i wish you well,but ive come to realize that if i stay i will have towork till the day i die.Yes its true good jobs are hard to find,but if I find one I just might go tothe door

Infinite is a lot! That would place my experiences and learned opinions at a level below yours that could never be quantified. That's a really low level.....if there was such a level. But there can't be because it is not finite. I could take that personally, but I won't because I strive to be tolerant of those with such strong faith and convictions.

If you were misled, it would have happened as a result of someone else misleading you and that would probably have to be one of your superiors. Or maybe a family member. Regardless, it would be someone you have confidence in. For the sake of this point lets call that person What-A-Guy. HE gained your confidence and mislead you into believing that HE was the second coming of the Supreme Omnipotent Corporate Presidents.....OK, forget what HE told you HE was but HE did say that all around you, people would agree that HE is great and all goodness.

So there is where your expectations were dashed; that all do not see the second coming as you do. This all sounds too over-the-top so I doubt you were misled...maybe delusional? Delusions are something that people can experience without the help of others.

Con men are called con men because they gain your confidence.

The LAST sentance of the above post is THE BEST
definition/desciption of CON - way , ever posted.

CNW has PROVEN this to be TRUE , by LIVING up to its name forever time and again , by CON-ING its
CUSTOMERS , CREDITORS/EMPLOYEES/INVESTORS , news - media , and even the general driving public .

As is the case with most CON games , the ones
that perpatriat them usually LOSE in the end , when they try to play the
game TOO LONG .

This OLD saying may well apply :

" You can FOOL (CON) some of the people some of the time , BUT , you CAN NOT , FOOL (CON) ALL of the people ALL of the time " .

Just4Thought

The LAST sentance of the above post is THE BEST
definition/desciption of CON - way , ever posted.

CNW has PROVEN this to be TRUE , by LIVING up to its name forever time and again , by CON-ING its
CUSTOMERS , CREDITORS/EMPLOYEES/INVESTORS , news - media , and even the general driving public .

As is the case with most CON games , the ones
that perpatriat them usually LOSE in the end , when they try to play the
game TOO LONG .

This OLD saying may well apply :

" You can FOOL (CON) some of the people some of the time , BUT , you CAN NOT , FOOL (CON) ALL of the people ALL of the time " .

Just4Thought

JB Hunt is hiring.

Rat

JB Hunt is hiring.

Rat

and so are others hiring,but that jb thing was hurtful,and i agree with that guy we are being conned,john l said we have 25omil in cash but we want 700mil,,now if yellow said that to the teamsters do you think the cuts that those drivers voted for thats right voted for would of ever even came to a vote,,i dont think so,,,,oh yeah they never mentioned all the other assets like terminals and trucks all of witch is owned and not leased....yes rat they are trying to con us,but wether or not we buy into it wont matter because they did because they can:nutkick::nutkick:

In regards to the above post and other similar posts .

It may well be the case that SOME here have NOT , INVESTED as many years at CNW as others .

TIME has a way of changing ones PROSPECTIVE .

Just4Thought

Time also has a way of changing leadership postions...and the PERSPECTIVE those leaders have for the company...

And unfortunately for the masses some of those leaders won't or cant' or just refuse to continue on with the original vision of the founder...

The years of INVESTMENT that many in this company have contributed heretofore mean nothing to Doug S. and the BOD...this was made excrutiatingly clear in the recent 'enhancements'...

For the average Joe its not the years of investment (as they killed the pension plan) but its what time they have left. The Morons from Mateo have very explicitly told every person in this company that dedication and commitment mean nothing....

With the exception of the 5% and the 401K cuts every other 'enhancements' were aimed at those who have planned to (or did plan to) retire in the near forseeable future.

This is one of the most pathetic and immoral displays of corporate leadership I have ever witnessed. There are ways to save monies other than kicking your people's dedication in the groin.

But this was easy...and besides what are you going to do???...what other choices do you have?...where are you going to go?...

Doug S. and the BOD know this all too well...its a bad economy and they know it. And that is the precise reason things were done as they were.

Con-Way didn't have to cut any infrastructure as did YRC...they manged to keep everthing just as intact as it was before...just kick the crap out of your people...especially those close to retirement as they have no other choice.

As much as I would like to believe in the continuity of my career at CW...it is really doubtful.

They have removed any reason to stay for the long haul...I have seen what they have done to the near term retirees...what are they going to do when its my turn?

Living the Dream has turned into a living nightmare. Keeping the Dream Alive has become a dead issue...there is no more dream...

only casualties...

Rat :ranting2:

Time also has a way of changing leadership postions...and the PERSPECTIVE those leaders have for the company...

And unfortunately for the masses some of those leaders won't or cant' or just refuse to continue on with the original vision of the founder...

The years of INVESTMENT that many in this company have contributed heretofore mean nothing to Doug S. and the BOD...this was made excrutiatingly clear in the recent 'enhancements'...

For the average Joe its not the years of investment (as they killed the pension plan) but its what time they have left. The Morons from Mateo have very explicitly told every person in this company that dedication and commitment mean nothing....

With the exception of the 5% and the 401K cuts every other 'enhancements' were aimed at those who have planned to (or did plan to) retire in the near forseeable future.

This is one of the most pathetic and immoral displays of corporate leadership I have ever witnessed. There are ways to save monies other than kicking your people's dedication in the groin.

But this was easy...and besides what are you going to do???...what other choices do you have?...where are you going to go?...

Doug S. and the BOD know this all too well...its a bad economy and they know it. And that is the precise reason things were done as they were.

Con-Way didn't have to cut any infrastructure as did YRC...they manged to keep everthing just as intact as it was before...just kick the crap out of your people...especially those close to retirement as they have no other choice.

As much as I would like to believe in the continuity of my career at CW...it is really doubtful.

They have removed any reason to stay for the long haul...I have seen what they have done to the near term retirees...what are they going to do when its my turn?

Living the Dream has turned into a living nightmare. Keeping the Dream Alive has become a dead issue...there is no more dream...

only casualties...

We did cut infrastructure in November, with the closing of 40 buildings...

We did cut infrastructure in November, with the closing of 40 buildings...

And it was explained that the re-engineering would have been done regardless of what shape the economy was in...

And I know all too well about the closings...my barn was one of them.

My point is this...the recent changes were poorly thought out...thousands of people in this organization have been hammered beyond their wildest dreams...

I'll say it again...leave the retirees alone!!!

If it is necessary to maintain the bouyancy of Con-Way on the backs of the long timers then we have more problems than Mateo is letting on!

Rat

And it was explained that the re-engineering would have been done regardless of what shape the economy was in...

And I know all too well about the closings...my barn was one of them.

My point is this...the recent changes were poorly thought out...thousands of people in this organization have been hammered beyond their wildest dreams...

I'll say it again...leave the retirees alone!!!

If it is necessary to maintain the bouyancy of Con-Way on the backs of the long timers then we have more problems than Mateo is letting on!

Rat

I don't think there is anything left in San Mateo except support staff...It's all Michigan on the leadership side now..

WELL SAID RAT
I wish you the best of luck you have a great insight you will do well.........I'm at that age I am just tired of it all, but at least I can leave with my dignity

WELL SAID RAT
I wish you the best of luck you have a great insight you will do well.........I'm at that age I am just tired of it all, but at least I can leave with my dignity

Unfortunately my friend...so am I...

During my DL LH I talked with a 23 year vet of CW...he said he a had the chance to take another job...at $20+/hour that was affiliated with the IBT and he wasn't sure what to do...

My response???...

Get the hell out while you can...

And this was a really pathetic response on my part!

I didn't feel good about telling him this...but it is the truth!!!

The days of glory being an LTL driver are over with!!!

Anyone with half a brain can see this...just look at what we have lost in the last ten years...

Sad!!!...Very sad indeed!

Rat

only casualties...

I agree rat,but this is just a question,arent the guys close to retirement that have 20+ YEARS going to be close to what they should be at retirement,With the pension froze and not much of a match to thier 401,wouldnt they be better getting out now? With the exception of a pay check,what do they have to gain towards retirement,assuming they are eligable for medicare.Now a guy like me who is in his late fourties,hopes the economy will turn around,and the better jobs will start opening,so i will be able to get out.At mt age it will be tough to start over(only have 8 yrs here)but the way things are going,why would anyone want to stay.Every reason I had to take this job,and its more of a dock job than a driving job is gone. Trucking is all I have ever done,with 26 yrs experiece and a clean record you would think I could get on some where decent if and when this so called economy turns around.we recovered after 9\11 and we should recover now.Happy Easter to All.Spend time with youre familys after all that is y we do what we do.

Unfortunately my friend...so am I...

During my DL LH I talked with a 23 year vet of CW...he said he a had the chance to take another job...at $20+/hour that was affiliated with the IBT and he wasn't sure what to do...

My response???...

Get the hell out while you can...

And this was a really pathetic response on my part!

I didn't feel good about telling him this...but it is the truth!!!

The days of glory being an LTL driver are over with!!!

Anyone with half a brain can see this...just look at what we have lost in the last ten years...

Sad!!!...Very sad indeed!

Rat

I agree rat,but this is just a question,arent the guys close to retirement that have 20+ YEARS going to be close to what they should be at retirement,With the pension froze and not much of a match to thier 401,wouldnt they be better getting out now? With the exception of a pay check,what do they have to gain towards retirement,assuming they are eligable for medicare.Now a guy like me who is in his late fourties,hopes the economy will turn around,and the better jobs will start opening,so i will be able to get out.At mt age it will be tough to start over(only have 8 yrs here)but the way things are going,why would anyone want to stay.Every reason I had to take this job,and its more of a dock job than a driving job is gone. Trucking is all I have ever done,with 26 yrs experiece and a clean record you would think I could get on some where decent if and when this so called economy turns around.we recovered after 9\11 and we should recover now.Happy Easter to All.Spend time with youre familys after all that is y we do what we do.

I would love to believe the recent changes weren't aimed at the folks here with years of service and seniority. However, its just a little too obvious.

And you are exactly right in questioning the lack of reasoning to continue on. Some will...some won't...everyone of us has to make their own choice. We will make choices based on what we feel is good for us and our families. I wish everyone making those choices the best wisdom God has to offer because its is going to be damn hard to do.The choices are few and consequences potentially severe.

When one eliminates the emotional factors in all this and sets down and rationally contemplates all these things...one conclusion keeps comong up (at least for me anyway)...

What reason is there to stay in this business (LTL and not just Con-Way..but any LTL company).

There are too many LTL companies...too many drivers...too many trucks...too many trailers...and too many facilities in a market lacking good paying freight. Everyone is cutting everyone else's throat, pricing the bottom out of the market. Cutting rates to the bone...and therefore gutting the lion's share of what good freight was out there.

The current macro-economy in the LTL community of companies is set to implode. Every LTL company is in survival mode. Everyone looks at everyone else through the microscope searching for weakness.

At some point all this is going hit critical mass. We, as an industry, cannot continue to cut each others throat and survive. There is entirely too much pressure (some of it self induced) in the LTL market...and something must give at some point. Where that point may be is anyone's guess...but you don't have to be a Wall Street analyst to know it isn't in the too distant future.

Some of the smaller regional LTL companies aren't going to make it...and perhaps some larger ones as well...

The body count is going to be high...many many casualties...many lives turned upside down and changed forever. It has already started, but is far from over.

If some LTL carrier on the national level bellies up or calls it quits (and don't think this won't happen!) then things will be even worse...too much freight and not enough capacity in the extreme short term is just as bad. If not properly controlled...trying to handle the influx of a sudden increase in volumes can be devastating. Hopefully, level heads will prevail...but I am not holding my breath!

So back to the original question...is it time to get out of the LTL biz?

Yeah...I think so. I am a little older than you are but have alot of good working years ahead of me. I am not prepared to bet my future on what I think may be on the horizon. We all have to make our choices as our conscience dictates. I don't foresee this job getting better anytime soon...most likely it will get worse!

But then again...it could all change tomorrow!

If you can do it...take the money and run. Go find some other position to supplement your livelihood...have a little fun...maybe even get your life back!

Rat :TR10driving03:

I would love to believe the recent changes weren't aimed at the folks here with years of service and seniority. However, its just a little too obvious.

And you are exactly right in questioning the lack of reasoning to continue on. Some will...some won't...everyone of us has to make their own choice. We will make choices based on what we feel is good for us and our families. I wish everyone making those choices the best wisdom God has to offer because its is going to be damn hard to do.The choices are few and consequences potentially severe.

When one eliminates the emotional factors in all this and sets down and rationally contemplates all these things...one conclusion keeps comong up (at least for me anyway)...

What reason is there to stay in this business (LTL and not just Con-Way..but any LTL company).

There are too many LTL companies...too many drivers...too many trucks...too many trailers...and too many facilities in a market lacking good paying freight. Everyone is cutting everyone else's throat, pricing the bottom out of the market. Cutting rates to the bone...and therefore gutting the lion's share of what good freight was out there.

The current macro-economy in the LTL community of companies is set to implode. Every LTL company is in survival mode. Everyone looks at everyone else through the microscope searching for weakness.

At some point all this is going hit critical mass. We, as an industry, cannot continue to cut each others throat and survive. There is entirely too much pressure (some of it self induced) in the LTL market...and something must give at some point. Where that point may be is anyone's guess...but you don't have to be a Wall Street analyst to know it isn't in the too distant future.

Some of the smaller regional LTL companies aren't going to make it...and perhaps some larger ones as well...

The body count is going to be high...many many casualties...many lives turned upside down and changed forever. It has already started, but is far from over.

If some LTL carrier on the national level bellies up or calls it quits (and don't think this won't happen!) then things will be even worse...too much freight and not enough capacity in the extreme short term is just as bad. If not properly controlled...trying to handle the influx of a sudden increase in volumes can be devastating. Hopefully, level heads will prevail...but I am not holding my breath!

So back to the original question...is it time to get out of the LTL biz?

Yeah...I think so. I am a little older than you are but have alot of good working years ahead of me. I am not prepared to bet my future on what I think may be on the horizon. We all have to make our choices as our conscience dictates. I don't foresee this job getting better anytime soon...most likely it will get worse!

But then again...it could all change tomorrow!

If you can do it...take the money and run. Go find some other position to supplement your livelihood...have a little fun...maybe even get your life back!

Rat :TR10driving03:

You hit thenail right on the head,and its not only ltl cutting prices,ive seen it happen in truckload,,lost a very good job to schnieder back in the early 90"s,due to price cutting,and it wasnt a small company i was working for,for me I am still working the same amount of hours,and the amount of money i make hasnt gone up that much. I can make my 5% up by working 3 more hours,but again more work=less pay