XPO | President Obama and President John L

He is highly educated, and makes no apologies for it, it didn't come at the end of a silver spoon...he has worked his way through the system, and he believes in every single employee...I know we have discussed arrogance on these boards, apathy for the employees, etc...If I thought that was him, I would be gone...I'm staying...I may be grumpy, but I ain't a quitter..

He would never have to apologize to me for being educated,god bless him,and i will do as you say i am not quitting this either,,he sounds like he is going to be a good leader,,,DAVE M WAS NO Leader on men and woman,he thought he was king

You're forgetting 'Brucie"...he belongs in that catagory as well...maybe more so!

Dave M. has had his moments...just not 'Master and Commander' materiel...

John requires no 'Dog and Pony' show for his benefit. He has inherited some very bad situations and practices...of which I believe in time will be rectified. I met the man...I do believe he is sincere and is forced to do things he finds distasteful...some of which I vehemently disagree with but I have no control over.

Give the man a year...and I believe you may just see a difference in the way things may become as opposed to how they are now!

Keep in mind his boss is Stotlar...so he has to appease him as well as the board of directors...not an enviable position...

Some of the priima donnas in this company may just have rude awakening coming...we'll see...

And BTW some of you here would have a cow if you knew who recruited him...

The man studied at Cambridge University...not your average Con-Way exec....

Rat :bowdown:

How long has he been our prez?

We were fortunate to have John in the west from 98-05, as a VPO and then as President...They were very good years.. You would be hard pressed to find a manager who wouldn't go to the end of the earth for him...I am sure there are a few, but not many..I have never found one...
I think his biggest attribute is his willingness to lead by example...Those that broke freight by his side at an FAC while he was a VP will vouch for that...
He always took time for every employee who had a question...If he didn't have the answer immediately, he went and got it and got back to the employee..If he felt he wasn't getting everything from a service center, he would speak to the manager, offer advice, encourage and motivate, put himself in those shoes, and find resolution, then progress...
He learns about your family, then keeps inquiring about them...He is as competitive as they come, whether in business or in life...In the west we still give him a hard time about his 4 game suspension from a men's hockey league for riding a guy face first into the glass after the guy high-sticked him..He'd do the same to a competitor in business if the opportunity arises...
Yeah, I'd fight for him..He is a family man, and a doting father to a little girl..
He loves DSRs, and his favorite things are meeting them at FACs, and doing the recognition awards, the 1-2 million mile parties..He is just blown away at what drivers accomplish on the road for us and for themselves..
Obviously, his job in a unified version of our company is much much different than when he led our component...for us in the west, it's a sad thing, because he used to hit every service center at least once a year...That would certainly be alomost an impossibility now, and that makes me sad for those of you that may not get the opportunity..
He has a bunch of pressure to succeed, and during a reall tumultuous time in our country's history...So I make it my business to do everything I can to support him in that endeavor..If I fail, he fails, and I cannot accept that from myself..

Thank you, much appreciated. Basically all I knew was his name. Gives me some hope.

We were fortunate to have John in the west from 98-05, as a VPO and then as President...They were very good years.. You would be hard pressed to find a manager who wouldn't go to the end of the earth for him...I am sure there are a few, but not many..I have never found one...
I think his biggest attribute is his willingness to lead by example...Those that broke freight by his side at an FAC while he was a VP will vouch for that...
He always took time for every employee who had a question...If he didn't have the answer immediately, he went and got it and got back to the employee..If he felt he wasn't getting everything from a service center, he would speak to the manager, offer advice, encourage and motivate, put himself in those shoes, and find resolution, then progress...
He learns about your family, then keeps inquiring about them...He is as competitive as they come, whether in business or in life...In the west we still give him a hard time about his 4 game suspension from a men's hockey league for riding a guy face first into the glass after the guy high-sticked him..He'd do the same to a competitor in business if the opportunity arises...
Yeah, I'd fight for him..He is a family man, and a doting father to a little girl..
He loves DSRs, and his favorite things are meeting them at FACs, and doing the recognition awards, the 1-2 million mile parties..He is just blown away at what drivers accomplish on the road for us and for themselves..
Obviously, his job in a unified version of our company is much much different than when he led our component...for us in the west, it's a sad thing, because he used to hit every service center at least once a year...That would certainly be alomost an impossibility now, and that makes me sad for those of you that may not get the opportunity..
He has a bunch of pressure to succeed, and during a reall tumultuous time in our country's history...So I make it my business to do everything I can to support him in that endeavor..If I fail, he fails, and I cannot accept that from myself..

Ever try to type when you're laughing?
This is the funniest piece of satire I've read in a long time!!!!

I think we should start calling HIM "What-A-Guy". Kinda rolls off the tongue...

He loves DSR's? And his favorite things are meeting them in the middle of the night (FAC)?

He's blown away by the driver's accomplishments?

Here's my fav;
If I fail, he fails, and I cannot accept that from myself..
Now this quote is good and should be made into a plaque to be mounted at Ann Arbor. It's got a Jack Kennedy thing going on... Very inspirational. What-A-Guy will be held in history along with Patton, Sherman, and Washington!

You're about to be promoted, aren't you?!? Good for you, but too bad for us, because SNL really needs some good writers.

And you say that Conway employees think for themselves. THAT's funny too.

You and me both...I got 15-17 years to go, so if this lasted a year, I might still be ok...I feel badly for the folks within 5 years...that's a tough pill to swallow..

Many of us will find little comfort in
anyone " FEELING BADLY " for what we were promised and worked hard for .

CNW made their CHOICES to TAKE ALL of
the MANY employee compensations concessions. CNW CHOSE NOT to HONOR ,
INTEGRETY , COMMITMENT , VALUES ,ect.

Actions speak louder than words .

Just4Thought

Sustainability Iniative

::shit:: I here that all the time. What are we trying to sustain, the multi-million dollar bonuses being given to DS,JL, and Board of Directors? Check insider trading posting on MSN financial page for 1/26/09. Where were the concerns about sustainability then? Why are they forcing us to play cards to make a living?

Ever try to type when you're laughing?
This is the funniest piece of satire I've read in a long time!!!!

I think we should start calling HIM "What-A-Guy". Kinda rolls off the tongue...

He loves DSR's? And his favorite things are meeting them in the middle of the night (FAC)?

He's blown away by the driver's accomplishments?

Here's my fav;
Now this quote is good and should be made into a plaque to be mounted at Ann Arbor. It's got a Jack Kennedy thing going on... Very inspirational. What-A-Guy will be held in history along with Patton, Sherman, and Washington!

You're about to be promoted, aren't you?!? Good for you, but too bad for us, because SNL really needs some good writers.

And you say that Conway employees think for themselves. THAT's funny too.

Damn, and I was so sure I was going to get 100% support on this, too...I somehow was misled...
Say what you want, that's what the boards are for, but at the same time it affords me that equal opportunity...And in this case, I am going to say I am infinitely more qualified to talk about the man than you are...nothing personal..

Damn, and I was so sure I was going to get 100% support on this, too...I somehow was misled...
Say what you want, that's what the boards are for, but at the same time it affords me that equal opportunity...And in this case, I am going to say I am infinitely more qualified to talk about the man than you are...nothing personal..

Infinite is a lot! That would place my experiences and learned opinions at a level below yours that could never be quantified. That's a really low level.....if there was such a level. But there can't be because it is not finite. I could take that personally, but I won't because I strive to be tolerant of those with such strong faith and convictions.

If you were misled, it would have happened as a result of someone else misleading you and that would probably have to be one of your superiors. Or maybe a family member. Regardless, it would be someone you have confidence in. For the sake of this point lets call that person What-A-Guy. HE gained your confidence and mislead you into believing that HE was the second coming of the Supreme Omnipotent Corporate Presidents.....OK, forget what HE told you HE was but HE did say that all around you, people would agree that HE is great and all goodness.

So there is where your expectations were dashed; that all do not see the second coming as you do. This all sounds too over-the-top so I doubt you were misled...maybe delusional? Delusions are something that people can experience without the help of others.

Con men are called con men because they gain your confidence.

Infinite is a lot! That would place my experiences and learned opinions at a level below yours that could never be quantified. That's a really low level.....if there was such a level. But there can't be because it is not finite. I could take that personally, but I won't because I strive to be tolerant of those with such strong faith and convictions.

If you were misled, it would have happened as a result of someone else misleading you and that would probably have to be one of your superiors. Or maybe a family member. Regardless, it would be someone you have confidence in. For the sake of this point lets call that person What-A-Guy. HE gained your confidence and mislead you into believing that HE was the second coming of the Supreme Omnipotent Corporate Presidents.....OK, forget what HE told you HE was but HE did say that all around you, people would agree that HE is great and all goodness.

So there is where your expectations were dashed; that all do not see the second coming as you do. This all sounds too over-the-top so I doubt you were misled...maybe delusional? Delusions are something that people can experience without the help of others.

Con men are called con men because they gain your confidence.

It is easy to pass judgments on those you don't know, especially when you have just been whacked with the takeaways...I will simply say it isn't fair to do so, but you are seeing only one thing right now, and not unjustly...remember, I had the very same things taken away..I just know some things right now that you don't, so this argument could go on forever, with only one of us knowing better..and we'll just end up pissed off and exhausted...not worth it..be safe if you're running tonight..

It is easy to pass judgments on those you don't know, especially when you have just been whacked with the takeaways...I will simply say it isn't fair to do so, but you are seeing only one thing right now, and not unjustly...remember, I had the very same things taken away..I just know some things right now that you don't, so this argument could go on forever, with only one of us knowing better..and we'll just end up pissed off and exhausted...not worth it..be safe if you're running tonight..

This has been my point all along...

I think Con-Way is nuts for some of the recent changes...and the focus of those changes were incorrect (but maybe that is just me!)

You have the priviledge of knowing things the rest of us can only guess about...OK..fair enough!!!

But I have to believe he is the right man for the job...I have no choice!

I can't fathom anyone of our recent leaders being able have the foresight and ingenuity to handle this...

Perhaps maybe we should get behind him...support him...and see what falls out of the trees. What do we have to lose???

Rat:shift:

Are you his Mother? Attorney?......Or More?:kiss2:

If none of the above apply then let the man speak for himself right here on the boards if need be.

My opinion may not mean much,but I am going to give john L
a chance,anything is better than that dave m,hell a 5th grader could of got more acomplished than he,he was the kind of guy that would of flown in a private jet to tell you about the cuts,and bthat terminal better of had fresh paint when he got there,I seen and heard himtalk to my tm like he was garbage(and i an no fan of my tm but it wasnt deservred)so the arrogece come from the top to us and stops withno one......So I TRUCKER1962 says i will give them till next easterand i will watch the stock returns.and if yhe shareholders make money than so shoulod we,,if not u will see me on anoyther company thread,,,,,good luck to allu

I think Con-Way is nuts for some of the recent changes...and the focus of those changes were incorrect (but maybe that is just me!)

You have the priviledge of knowing things the rest of us can only guess about...OK..fair enough!!!

I can't fathom anyone of our recent leaders being able have the foresight and ingenuity to handle this...

Perhaps maybe we should get behind him...support him...and see what falls out of the trees. What do we have to lose???

Perhaps if CNW HAD good , great , knowledgable ,
perceptive , LEADERSHIP , they would have been
more enlightened and avoided the PRESENT problems.

These LEADERS were not nor are they NEW HIRES .

The WARNING SIGNS were all CLEARLY POSTED .

Just4Thought

The executives know how much debt we carry, the way theses changes took effect make us feel like WE are paying for poor business decisions.

Perhaps if CNW HAD good , great , knowledgable ,
perceptive , LEADERSHIP , they would have been
more enlightened and avoided the PRESENT problems.

These LEADERS were not nor are they NEW HIRES .

The WARNING SIGNS were all CLEARLY POSTED .

Just4Thought

Keep in mind these changes were corporate wide to one degree or another...

Makes me wonder just how much or how little impact John L. had in the decison making process...and how much was Doug S. and the board of directors involved in the decision making process...

Just food for thought!

rAt:shift:

Hi folks....Just got back from la. with my daughter and had a great time conway didn.t exist.....found out about losing my four weeks of vacation and I finally thru in the towel, Ive added up my loses and I am angry. I've taken all I can and then some. Approx. 15% paycut (5%in pay ,5%in retirement for 401,3%in transition .)My retirement at 65 is around 700 per month at my age 60, I can't recover. I know John and box boss you are right he is a good man but he works for a worthless board of directors. As older drivers we have been screwed and I for one didn't like it. I have always been against the union but right now I am against the board. I have been blessed in my life to work with a co. whose founder and pres. treated us very well. I worked in mgmt. for a few years but it became to political after the owner retired and I quit and came to work for conway, what they did was sell me a bill of goods . I've always given 110 % and people who know me will tell you the same. I'll still give it my all even with my broken down body......I will still give the customers great service and hold my head high, but if I were the board of directors I would only say one thing to them YOU ARE WRONG..........