Yellow | Proud & True, Orange & Blue ---Roadway nostalgia thread (former Roadway posting only

Any one know High Pockets (retired} who drove out out of Carlisle PA ? I used to drink coffe with him when he stopped at the Passion Pit .I drove for Trash Can out of Camp Hill P.A.

Any one know High Pockets (retired} who drove out out of Carlisle PA ? I used to drink coffe with him when he stopped at the Passion Pit .I drove for Trash Can out of Camp Hill P.A.

I think he passed away a few years ago. After he retired. Maybe someone else can say for sure. I will ask around when I get to work today. I should be able to find out. If I remember he did a heart attack while mowing his yard. I think he was living in W.Va.

I think he passed away a few years ago. After he retired. Maybe someone else can say for sure. I will ask around when I get to work today. I should be able to find out. If I remember he did a heart attack while mowing his yard. I think he was living in W.Va.

I was wrong on this. I talked to another driver tonight about Mr "High Pockets". He did have a heart attach a while back, He is still alive and kicking. He's doing much better. He still lives in the area.

It was "To Tall" that passed while mowing. Sorry about that High Pockets.

I might be able to get you contact info if you want it?

I'm a retired yrc driver,started at yellow,but I remember back in the mid 70s I was a bullhauler running cattle to west Texas,all across 40 I ran with many Big R drivers these were some of the funniest and best drivers I can remember.We had lots of fun and yes they kept up with our big trucks and sometimes ,if you were not watching, one would pass you. After they cut their trucks back we kind of lost touch with them,but they would holler at us and we were always glad to hear from them. I think runnin with them is why I wanted in the freight business so when yellow came to town in 82 I went to work for them as Big R was not in our area yet. I retired in Oct of this year and many good friends , both yellow and roadway,that i miss every day.
Good luck and Merry Christmas to all.

I was wrong on this. I talked to another driver tonight about Mr "High Pockets". He did have a heart attach a while back, He is still alive and kicking. He's doing much better. He still lives in the area.

It was "To Tall" that passed while mowing. Sorry about that High Pockets.

I might be able to get you contact info if you want it?

Thanks and i looked up his phone ##

pride of the fleet

[size=+2]Why not many would work for Roadway[/size]
roadway_ford_coe1.jpg

Ahhh, do I remember those C model cabover Fords. Matter of fact #16022 was the one I drove, the pride of the fleet. Man do I remember getting the finger and curse at (F*%!, You Roadway) all the time from toll booth clerks and 4 wheelers with pax with all there windows down at a red light.

Used to give them "the gas face"everytime with those toxic diesel fumes pouring out pulling off in first gear (eat my dust)........:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I like it that the Roadway guys have their own form talken about the old days and I would like to be able to do the same for the Yellow Freight guys also , the only problem is I tried to put something together but [call me stupid ] I haven't figured out how to make up a subject on trucking boards . Need help/.

New Thread

I like it that the Roadway guys have their own form talken about the old days and I would like to be able to do the same for the Yellow Freight guys also , the only problem is I tried to put something together but [call me stupid ] I haven't figured out how to make up a subject on trucking boards . Need help/.

Just log in and on the page with all the other threads there is a button above all of them that says new thread. Click on that button and then start your thread. Yellow Nostalgia would be a good name for it or what ever you want to call it so long as it is easy to understand what it is about. We're all freight teamsters here, remember, so DON'T make it to cryptic.:biglaugh::duh:

Even though I'm not former Big R I found this pic of a real old Roadway Mack and thought I'd post it...
This old pic is supposed to be kinda rare because it's in color.

Even though I'm not former Big R I found this pic of a real old Roadway Mack and thought I'd post it...
This old pic is supposed to be kinda rare because it's in color.

Great looking truck. Think it's an L Model, but not sure..a little before my time. Why can't anybody make a decent looking tractor today?

Great looking truck. Think it's an L Model, but not sure..a little before my time. Why can't anybody make a decent looking tractor today?

I believe your right on the L Model. I'm with ya on the good looking trucks. Those old Macks looked great. My favorite truck was the next generation,
the B models. First truck I ever drove was a B-61 and I still think those little round fender Macks are the best looking!

things i remember from the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's at roadway
- bill spitznagel as president -- good freight guy
- linehaul driver "clyde" with bowler hat running into 111 each night
- p&d drivers ( a few anyway ) wearing roadway uniform shirt with black bow ties
- RPS being created from scratch to compete with UPS
- 2 strikes -- late 70's and mid 90's -- each with supervisors and teamsters hangin out
together playin' cards just to pass time through the night
- the provonzono's from local 560 in union city
- the old REXAN machine-- complete with error bell -- with linehaul dispatch routes
- "the duke" ( bill c.) linehaul cood @ 135
- alot of good friends

[size=+2]rat nostalgia [/size]
fg_roadway_express_7.jpg

fg_roadway_express_1b.jpg

roadway09.jpg

[size=+2]nice Autocar [/size]
rdwy42505.jpg

[size=+2]wow I got a new International the year before I retired [/size]
lone5.jpg

[size=+2]International trucks came a long way [/size]​

how 'bout this for big r pride? white pine driver b.j. drove over the three and four-million mile mark. could have had his own tractor at three million miles. chose to drive whatever you handed him. his brother was a true gentleman also.

To the Joe , I remember driving those old Super Power Whites and also had one of those old round nose stainless steel Fruehauf trailers . Man those old Whites were hot in the summer and loud . They were old even then but we still had a few that were still in service . I was a city driver for Akron Chicago for a few years back in the day in Chicago . That one picture at the terminal looks like an early 50's model Auto Car and also that terminal looks like the 51st. street and St. Louis ave. terminal in Chicago

<snip>
That one picture at the terminal looks like an early 50's model Auto Car and also that terminal looks like the 51st. street and St. Louis ave. terminal in Chicago

It seems to look more like a Federal than an A-car to me. Love the old pics though! :clap:

Yeah , they all kinda looked the same but does anyone know if that's Chicago's 51st. terminal ? They had two docks over there the one dock belonged to Motor Cargo out of Akron , then when C F bought Motor Cagro Roadway grabed it up one for inboun and the other for out bound . this was around 1955 or so maybe a little later . Still can't figure why they closesd an inter city terminal just to have to truck it all back 50 60 miles . lot of stem miles . fuel cost etc.