Yellow | Question for 10%ers in cities with 2 terminals.

yrcreject

TB Lurker
Credits
In cities that are keeping both the Roadway terminal & Yellow terminal...10%ers have to choose which one to bid to. Which are you choosing, & your reasons??

Picked Yellow, (Still haven't decided whether or not to report-- 5 more days to decide.)

Figured I have a better chance to get 5 starts in during a 7 day week at Yellow (breakbulk) vs a 5 day week at Roadway (city driving). Miss being called for even one, miss out on a 40 hour check.

Plus, I've always worked Yellow's rules. For Instance, at Yellow, laidoffs work before OT, like the Contract says. I'm told at Roadway/Indy, OT works before Laidoff. Different sets of rules, same city; people intermixed learning new rules. Gonna be a nightmare......Like I said, not sure any of this is worth quitting another job for.....Good Luck to All!

Roadway, not by choice

I am pretty much the bottom guy called back from layoff. My choices were percenter at Roadway Seattle or pass and stay on layoff and go to the bottom of the layoff list.

In Seattle, percenters were supposed to be in a pool that 3 terminals could use. They changed it to each terminal has their own percenter. The combined seniority list will only continue with laid off members. Thus the top laid off could be recalled to any of the 3 terminals.

In St. Louis our percenters and laidoff will be available at both barns depending on where they are needed.
Same here in Norfolk there will be no lost of seniority if a vacancy is available alaid off man will fill (transfere) even if he bidded to other barn

In kcm we merged boards, and we are bidding our jobs as we speak. We were told we will keep the work rules at both terminals as they are now. Since the 342 terminal does not have 10% you cannot work at 342 as a 10%, only the kcm terminal. For about a month 10% is not were u want to be as it has been slow. Come March 1st 10% can only work at kcm, while laidoff can be called for both terminals. If i had a choice of being the very bottom of 10% or the number 1 laidoff man I would rather be laidoff, so i would have work calls for both, not just one. ( example; top laidoff is working 4- midnite at kcm they run low on work at kcm for midnite no 10% can get in, but they have extra at the 342 terminal at midnite who do the call the laid off man who is punching out at the kcm terminal to come in at 342.)

I agree with lexmark, it's FAR better to be the #1 laid-off right now, than being 10%. If I was, I could watch from afar as YRC sorted out their troubles. Instead, I'm called back; am leaning towards taking my 2009 vacation on the 60% rule (If I can), and going on down the road, putting all this behind me...???.....

Salt Lake has merged boards and layed off. We have 302 on the roster and only have jobs for 225. The Yellow terminal is the breakbulk and the Roadway terminal is the P&D operation. Lay offs can work at either terminal by seniority and classification. A CDL is real important right now. We bid jobs 2/23.

In Indianapolis, Yellow is the breakbulk and Roadway is the end of line terminal. Both facilities will have P & D. There are 423 teamsters jobs and 330 bids. One would be better off to bid a percenter at a breakbulk. Constant flow of freight. End of line terminals, however, once freight runs out, jobs done. May be hard to get all your starts.

Lexmark I hope our local fixes that where our percenters can work at either barn. All we have is our seniority and the way it is now they are taking it from you. It doesnt make sense that layoffed people can work both barns but regulars cant. You guys should also be able to bid back and forth weekly if a better bid comes up at the other location instead of yearly.

In cities that are keeping both the Roadway terminal & Yellow terminal...10%ers have to choose which one to bid to. Which are you choosing, & your reasons??

I don't work for either company. But, I have a question.
If Yellow and Roadway are merged together wouldn't there be only one board?(for city) And then the percenters be called by senority and then be told which barn to go to?
Sounds like a total cluster f**k if you ask me.

In Denver there is an annual bid. At that time you can choose the break(Yellow) or the EOL(Roadway). If you get a letter of layoff, you can go to the other location if you have seniority to bump in. Otherwise you can be worked as a percenter and not get a full week in at your location while a junior man is working steady at the other location. I'm retired but I always lived with the idea that the only thing that separated me from anyone else on the board was my seniority. This concept is lost here. Now you don't even have that. On top of that the manager at the break, the former Roadway manager, has said that nobody from the EOL better try bumping in at the break, because it ain't gonna' happen. You gotta' love it, right?:Flame-On:

one big happy family...right

And how does he propose to stop it if a man has the seniority to do so?

And how does he propose to stop it if a man has the seniority to do so?

I know you have had managers who love to spout off big threats and strut around telling everybody who is king. Those are the ones who are the most fun to bring down. Non-union employees have no idea how gratifying it is to take these kind of tyrants down a notch or two. I loved working for managers like this. I would go the extra mile to put them in their place. You have to be very patient, but oh how fun it is when you finally nail them hard. This is when being a steward is all worth it.

Talking loud and saying nothing

I know you have had managers who love to spout off big threats and strut around telling everybody who is king. Those are the ones who are the most fun to bring down. Non-union employees have no idea how gratifying it is to take these kind of tyrants down a notch or two. I loved working for managers like this. I would go the extra mile to put them in their place. You have to be very patient, but oh how fun it is when you finally nail them hard. This is when being a steward is all worth it.

Oh yeah I got one who is a big bag of hot air, let them talk their talk. I just jot down what he says and let him sink himself cause he doesn't know the contract like he claims he does. The fun part now is they come to the stewards now before they do something.:smilie_132:

I know I am partial

to my terminal(Yellow philly or 152 lol) but I have to say our stewards are top notch they really keep on top of things with our terminal....making them follow the rules......:smilie_132:

I don't work for either company. But, I have a question.
If Yellow and Roadway are merged together wouldn't there be only one board?(for city) And then the percenters be called by senority and then be told which barn to go to?
Sounds like a total cluster f**k if you ask me.

Last I heard, here in Portland the two terminals will both have a separate percenter list, and percenters would not be called in seniority order to work whichever barn needs people. The reason I was given is that since one barn is a city op and the other a breakbulk, it would be more useful to have percenters who are CDL qualified make up the percenter list at the city op. The barns are about five miles apart.

It all seems strange to me, and I don't think the deal is final yet.