Yellow | Question for 10%ers in cities with 2 terminals.

box lover , i am going to start work in charlotte nc yellow as of the 1st and i think its the same here . supposedly we will have a single senority board covering both the yellow break and rdwy city-inbound but they are showing us that they will be able to bid unassigned on 1 dock or the other .
i dont get it though , if its 1 board why not 1 unassigned list that would work either dock depending on where they need you.
good luck every1 this is 1 big mess

box lover , i am going to start work in charlotte nc yellow as of the 1st and i think its the same here . supposedly we will have a single senority board covering both the yellow break and rdwy city-inbound but they are showing us that they will be able to bid unassigned on 1 dock or the other .
i dont get it though , if its 1 board why not 1 unassigned list that would work either dock depending on where they need you.
good luck every1 this is 1 big mess

Buddy, you just hit the nail on the head. There is no good reason why they can't do it exactly like you just said. And it would benefit them as well. But my experience has been that they don't think of things that way. Their first impulse is to try and do it in a way that will screw over any and all subordinates, union and non-union. It is their sworn duty to try and make things as difficult as possible.

Buddy, you just hit the nail on the head. There is no good reason why they can't do it exactly like you just said. And it would benefit them as well. But my experience has been that they don't think of things that way. Their first impulse is to try and do it in a way that will screw over any and all subordinates, union and non-union. It is their sworn duty to try and make things as difficult as possible.

Exactly! If you suggest something that makes sense the company thinks we are trying to screw them. They are very slow learners. We just sit back and watch, let them try it their way, and go back to what was suggested in the first place. Hopefully for them everyone forgot that a Teamster suggested it.:duh:

I can not comprehend what kind of screw up this would present to management. They have a ruff time just calling for one dock and you want to throw in another.

Staying at breakbulk terminal in Ind. At least I know where the bathroom is. Joking aside I dont see how they can split the 10 percent board without viloating some senority. Whats to stop them from running a percenter off the yellow dock to make p&d stops and leaving the city guys at roadway sitting at home.

Staying at breakbulk terminal in Ind. At least I know where the bathroom is. Joking aside I dont see how they can split the 10 percent board without viloating some senority. Whats to stop them from running a percenter off the yellow dock to make p&d stops and leaving the city guys at roadway sitting at home.

They wouldn't run a guy off of a breakbulk dock to make p&d stops. It is a breakbulk dock. The city dock is a p&d dock. This is a non-issue. The point is, if there is work at one or the other, seniority should prevail, period. It is not that hard to administer. They have computers nowdays, for chr*** sake. Why have we come this far technologically if nobody can benefit from it?

In St. Louis our percenters and laidoff will be available at both barns depending on where they are needed.

ZMAN Explain to me what you mean by a percenter. I think you mean a new man who has not reached full rate yet. In the New England area thats a new word to us but out in the mid west I have heard it mentioned alot. Help me out and get me educated. Thanks alot!!:duh:

ZMAN Explain to me what you mean by a percenter. I think you mean a new man who has not reached full rate yet. In the New England area thats a new word to us but out in the mid west I have heard it mentioned alot. Help me out and get me educated. Thanks alot!!:duh:

Percenter is a guy on a 10% bid. Has nothing to do with wages.

He's writing in shorthand for 10 percenter; 10%er.

The local cartage contract for Central States, allows 90% of active employee's guaranteed 40 hrs and a bid start time. 10% are not and are "on call". This might be different in New England or other parts of the country.

Thanks for explaining it for me. I guess I wasn't thinking about the different parts of the country having different rules when I just put percenter down.

The local cartage contract for Central States, allows 90% of active employee's guaranteed 40 hrs and a bid start time. 10% are not and are "on call". This might be different in New England or other parts of the country.

And after 10 years with Yellow, here I am, back down to a 10%er starting March 1. Means I'm spending the next few years of my life on call. No life. Hope my wife sticks it out again. Ain't life grand? :ranting2::puke::hide::hissyfit:

I hear you yrcreject. I spent the last four years on call, and it's a lousy way to live. I'm single and it nearly drove me insane. Now I don't even have a 10% bid!

Out of curiosity:

What days off do percenters get at your barn or is your place a MON-FRI operation?

How many start times are there?

At Portland 875, we officially had WED, THU off. We also had six start times.

What a nightmare, good luck!

And after 10 years with Yellow, here I am, back down to a 10%er starting March 1. Means I'm spending the next few years of my life on call. No life. Hope my wife sticks it out again. Ain't life grand? :ranting2::puke::hide::hissyfit:

Well, if you've got 10 yrs in and you didn't want to be on call then why did you bid 10%? You are at 326/KCM right? I know guys with 5 yrs or less holding a bid job.

Well, if you've got 10 yrs in and you didn't want to be on call then why did you bid 10%? You are at 326/KCM right? I know guys with 5 yrs or less holding a bid job.

Uh..no, I'm not in KCM. And I didn't bid 10%; it was the only thing left. They are keeping 2 terminals here, & between the 2 terminals, there is one seniority list; 10%ers have to bid which barn to go to. The list is so big & the Roadway guys have so much seniority, that I was lucky to even get a 10% bid. I'm almost at the bottom, & we still have over a hundred (approx.) guys on layoff. 9 years was the cutoff here. And then I had to bid 10%er over at the Roadway terminal because I would have been so far down on the Yellow list that I'm not sure I would have been working consistently. I walked the new dock yesterday to introduce myself & learn the layout & systems over there, and I must say that the guys there were VERY welcoming & upbeat, unlike the Yellow terminal. That was nice. Even though I realize that I'm lucky just to have a job right now, I'm having a little pity party for myself, mourning the loss of the job I loved, being exchanged for sitting by the phone & no life. I'm just lucky to have the wife I do....so many guys end up divorced over this life. :boohoo::hissyfit::sadwavey:

I hear you yrcreject. I spent the last four years on call, and it's a lousy way to live. I'm single and it nearly drove me insane. Now I don't even have a 10% bid!

Out of curiosity:

What days off do percenters get at your barn or is your place a MON-FRI operation?

How many start times are there?

At Portland 875, we officially had WED, THU off. We also had six start times.

What a nightmare, good luck!

I had to switch from Yell to Roadway barn. They are a M-F operation, but I was just informed today that they started a 3:30 pm bid on Sunday, so that's when I go on call. I'm still not sure about the start times, although it sounds like it's every 4 hours. There are no days off; when you're sitting by the phone...that's your time off I guess. Sounds like the only for sure time off is Sat night. :hissyfit:

Copley gets 'forced' employees

Copley (Akron), Ohio is getting employees that are being forced there from Cleveland, Ohio. Our customers will be seeing alot of smiling faces, won't they? :duh:

on call with no call

....There are no days off; when you're sitting by the phone...that's your time off I guess. Sounds like the only for sure time off is Sat night. :hissyfit:
You have days off...you just don't know when till they're gone!!:nutkick: