XPO | Raise this year?

A P&D driver for XPO has seen a lot more duties added to them over the last few years. Do any other companies carry measuring tapes? Cameras? Two or three different pros? Driver facing cameras talking to you? ( sounds corny , I know but add things up and it can be aggravating )
This is something that is never considered when making a comparison to peers at other carriers.

Inflation is not why we get raises. The why is because the competitor also gives annual cost of living raises, but that still doesn't make the company responsible for causing inflation nor does it make it obligated to offer compensation. The raises could be more accurately described as a key part to an undocumented driver retention program.
Sorry, I’m not sure I follow your logic . The raise we get annually are COLA (cost of living Adjustment). Nearly all companies give these raises to keep their pay in line with inflation. Companies do cause inflation through raising prices of goods or services rendered. Even Xpo has a hand in rising inflation. Yes, even if Xpo doesn’t give their employees raises they would still have to raise rates because other cost would still rise. If employees compensation did not keep up with market prices employers would find themselves without a satisfactory number of employees. In years of low inflation we have seen as low as 1.5 % COLA . companies are not required to give COLA ( unless under contract) but do so to remain competitive Or they would soon be out of business . Don’t confuse merit raises with COLA.
Companies do not give raises out of generosity but rather out of necessity.

Last edited:
If we had received a bigger than usual raise from XPO should we give credit to the company?

XPO purchased how many terminals? Also XPO purchased a new mainframe computer. XPO is also purchasing lots of new tractors and making more trailers. A year ago the stock was around $36...now $121. XPO seems to be thriving. All things a company headed in the right direction should do.

If the company is doing well and improving. And the people make up the company...
What's your O.R. % in 2023 vs say 5yrs ago?

I w
Inflation is not why we get raises. The why is because the competitor also gives annual cost of living raises, but that still doesn't make the company responsible for causing inflation nor does it make it obligated to offer compensation. The raises could be more accurately described as a key part to an undocumented driver retention program.
I'll say that partly right. XPO could give no raise and there would be no mass quiting of employees. Yes some would walk but many would stay. To prove my point how many have stayed since you lost paid health insurance, pension plan, and bonuses just to name a few. Yet you job responsible have increased. I know a few that are just there to get to the rule of 85 to get their couple hundred dollars a month. Each company is trying to out do the other and attract new drivers and to maybe pull some out of other carriers. You get what you pay for and when you do a flat across the board low raise you get flat low quality employees.

I am serious. 3.5 to 3.9 % is average for 2024. We beat average by .1 % . It’s a $1.48 for us.
inflation average for the year 23 was 3.5 %
You show me ONE item that only went up in price by 3.5%.
On top of the completely fabricated #s, you're currently paying about 30% more to exist day to day, than you did 18 mo ago.

So, let's assume that 3.5% is true.
Unless you got a 34% raise over the last 2 or so years, you are BADLY behind, as is everyone.
Every LtL driver should be at least at the new UPS contract's rate.

It's not that UPS is paying more, they simply kept pace with inflation, whereas others did not.

It's not that UPS is paying more, they simply kept pace with inflation, whereas others did not.
Yes, this is 100% factual . Most people don’t know this but UPS drivers get an inflation bump in their schedule contractual pay raise if inflation is at a certain benchmark for the year. Example if they are scheduled to get a raise in their 2nd year of their contract the contract let’s say $1.00 raise if inflation is above a certain amount that raise goes up Pretty cool huh ? But,they’re a union shop with workers that stick together. We are non union by majority choice and that’s that. I don’t think it’s is fair to compare us to UPS. Most of us have accepted that we are a non union company and that how it will remain.

Last edited:
Yes, this is 100% factual . Most people don’t know this but UPS drivers get an inflation bump in their schedule contractual pay raise if inflation is at a certain benchmark for the year. Example if they are scheduled to get a raise in their 2nd year of their contract the contract let’s say $1.00 raise if inflation is above a certain amount that raise goes up Pretty cool huh ? But,they’re a union shop with workers that stick together. We are non union by majority choice and that’s that. I don’t think it’s is fair to compare us to UPS. Most of us have accepted that we are a non union company and that how it will remain.
They get that great hourly pay , PLUS PLUS Cadillac ins & a pension . A friend of mine having retired from UPS I think 8 years ago collects $4,800 a month pension .

Sorry, I’m not sure I follow your logic . The raise we get annually are COLA (cost of living Adjustment). Nearly all companies give these raises to keep their pay in line with inflation. Companies do cause inflation through raising prices of goods or services rendered. Even Xpo has a hand in rising inflation. Yes, even if Xpo doesn’t give their employees raises they would still have to raise rates because other cost would still rise. If employees compensation did not keep up with market prices employers would find themselves without a satisfactory number of employees. In years of low inflation we have seen as low as 1.5 % COLA . companies are not required to give COLA ( unless under contract) but do so to remain competitive Or they would soon be out of business . Don’t confuse merit raises with COLA.
Companies do not give raises out of generosity but rather out of necessity.
My logic, OK. Before I go further I want to first talk about the term, COLA. That's what we assume these raises are, although I don't ever remember a company rep. calling them that. I think it's more accurate to say we get raises because our competition gets raises and the company wants to retain it's base of talent. Regarding companies causing inflation, I think price hikes are not the cause, rather the symptom which you indirectly point to when you said regarding XPO operating costs, "they would still have to raise rates because other cost would still rise." To say companies cause inflation is to oversimplify the problem. The facts are companies raise prices in response to inflation which is caused by irresponsible monetary policy(continued spending and printing of money), and in this special case, increased consumer demand resulting from COVID era giveaways, the inaptly named, 1.9T Inflation Reduction Act, and an out of control fed raising the prime rate to control the artificially generated rate of economic growth. As to the rest of your post, I agree. There aren't merit raises, at least not for hourly as they are mostly for management in the form of bonuses. And I never stated we get a raises out of generosity, so I agree with your last sentence also.

Got to say if all the drivers got was 4% then that sucks. With all the add ::shit:: they keep adding to drivers duties. The federal regs, cameras in your face, and digital tracking on MM, stop per hr, and location. Working in freezer or sweat shop docks. You guys should have gotten at 6+

Got to say if all the drivers got was 4% then that sucks. With all the add ::::shit:::: they keep adding to drivers duties. The federal regs, cameras in your face, and digital tracking on MM, stop per hr, and location. Working in freezer or sweat shop docks. You guys should have gotten at 6+
Also forgot about not being paid shift differential pay like the dockworker

cool 4% for drivers is great as this years goes.
No, no it's not.

It's a damn good thing you guys only drive trucks, because basic economics is NOT your strong suit.

You'd need a minimum of a 30% raise to get you to the overall level you were at in 2019.

Enjoy your $1.50ish an hour. Congrats, now you're only $9hr in the hole!