XPO | Rebid

Most LTL don't have drivers work the dock that much. Dockworkers do that. At my barn the biggest gripe for years has been too much dock work. In the next few years we will go to 100% dockworkers on the dock at the big terminals. We already have ALOT at my barn and I have no doubt more are coming. That being said, I can2 image why management would not work a driver on the dock and sit a dockworker at home when things slow down. Dock help is much easier to find than experienced, qualified, professional drivers.

If drivers just drive 10-12 hours or whatever a night an dockworkers just load an do dock work all night would be great but not every terminal has good runs is the problem an there isn't enough dockworkers at every terminal due to numbers an motor moves per hour

Most LTL don't have drivers work the dock that much. Dockworkers do that. At my barn the biggest gripe for years has been too much dock work. In the next few years we will go to 100% dockworkers on the dock at the big terminals. We already have ALOT at my barn and I have no doubt more are coming. That being said, I can2 image why management would not work a driver on the dock and sit a dockworker at home when things slow down. Dock help is much easier to find than experienced, qualified, professional drivers.

Management doesn't look beyond the end of the nose on their face, dockworker gets paid less per hour, so there's your answer.

Some terminals have already started rebids. St Louis has already started, Charleston, Florence KY has already started. Supposed to be done by thanksgiving.

Bids are ongoing as we speak. Vacations too. I feel for the OP to a degree; you want day linehaul. It's a gamble. I stay on nights, far and away the more stable bid. I still work as much or as little as I want, take pto if it's offered to give a junior guy a run... It has slowed dramatically on days.

As for not getting rid of dock workers, have you talked to your TM or HR person? If work slows, the order is: temps go first, then outside carriers, then company dock workers, and then drivers last.

As for not getting rid of dock workers, have you talked to your TM or HR person? If work slows, the order is: temps go first, then outside carriers, then company dock workers, and then drivers last.

Has this ever happen in Con-way history? I'd like to see this order of cut happen. Who would enforce it? Local management? Yeah right!

And this Jacobs fella don't care about the union threat at all. He just drives around them. If you don't want to work, he will let you not work. Go ahead and walk out. Strike if you care to. He will leave you hang yourself. Con-way is dead. It's dead.
He can't 'drive around them' if 'them' is company-wide. Even if one 'region' voted it in, it would still derail his operation. XPO is nationwide, not region-wide.

Things are getting worse,Im 1 month behind on my mortgage.Ive been here 17 years.If I dont run day linehaul I go In the city,lucky to get 5 to 6 hours.They wont let go the dock workers so I can work more.Most of them been here 1 year,starting this year.I feel like we should rebid and start new bids now with this big change.Ive paid big dues to Con-way to get disrespected by numbers,numbers,numbers.I cancelled all my vacation all year just to take 10 hours PTO day so I would get paid.
This here is a great reason why we need a union. These dock workers are getting treated better than the driver. At our barn, we have drivers not getting 8hrs. a day and dock workers getting overtime. It is so slow right now, these dock workers should be laid off. We were told when this dock worker crap started that dock workers would be sent home before drivers, its not happening. Time to organize and get some rules at this place!

Bids are ongoing as we speak. Vacations too. I feel for the OP to a degree; you want day linehaul. It's a gamble. I stay on nights, far and away the more stable bid. I still work as much or as little as I want, take pto if it's offered to give a junior guy a run... It has slowed dramatically on days.

That was the Con-way order. Is it the XPO order of things ?

He can't 'drive around them' if 'them' is company-wide. Even if one 'region' voted it in, it would still derail his operation. XPO is nationwide, not region-wide.

XPO is global. Ask the guys in SoCal. He don't care.

Company wide ? Right. They couldn't get three terminals. Whatever. If that's your dream. Go ahead and keep dreaming.

This here is a great reason why we need a union. These dock workers are getting treated better than the driver. At our barn, we have drivers not getting 8hrs. a day and dock workers getting overtime. It is so slow right now, these dock workers should be laid off. We were told when this dock worker crap started that dock workers would be sent home before drivers, its not happening. Time to organize and get some rules at this place!

Nice rally cry. Con-way is dead. So are their promises. Organizing won't bring it back.

:6817:
Things are getting worse,Im 1 month behind on my mortgage.Ive been here 17 years.If I dont run day linehaul I go In the city,lucky to get 5 to 6 hours.They wont let go the dock workers so I can work more.Most of them been here 1 year,starting this year.I feel like we should rebid and start new bids now with this big change.Ive paid big dues to Con-way to get disrespected by numbers,numbers,numbers.I cancelled all my vacation all year just to take 10 hours PTO day so I would get paid.
Oh my gosh your in a bad way, Im surprised the team don't step up and help you out, as far as dock workers go you have been kicked to the the curb without any concern for your time served, its not about you or me its about the money, but who needs a third party let alone a(Union) they will be fair, right!:growup::6817::lmao::lmao:

I'm not convinced that either you or the guy who started this thread, who's quote I posted above yours, is telling us the truth.

Upnorth , this order that things were/are supposed to go in - (no offense or picking a fight) But were does this pecking order come from that puts drivers on top? To be fair you answered a version of this back in September -
It's suppose to go:
Temp workers
Conway dockworkers
Dsr's

Dsr's should be the last to be sent home.

Is it like the your start time bid in the city , were if it's altered ( start time pushed back because of late freight , for example ) you CAN go to human resources and stop it from happening?

And Highspeeds , yes , Con-way Inc is gone. For those of us that remain or have survived until now we've been told we have a year of policies and practices being the same. If anyone that comes to this board sees otherwise ( as far as major changes that are handed down by XPO Logistics ) PLEASE - SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THE REST OF US.

Last edited:
Upnorth , this order that things were/are supposed to go in - (no offense or picking a fight) But were does this pecking order come from that puts drivers on top? To be fair you answered a version of this back in September -

Is it like the your start time bid in the city , were if it's altered ( start time pushed back because of late freight , for example ) you CAN go to human resources and stop it from happening?

And Highspeeds , yes , Con-way Inc is gone. For those of us that remain or have survived until now we've been told we have a year of policies and practices being the same. If anyone that comes to this board sees otherwise ( as far as major changes that are handed down by XPO Logistics ) PLEASE - SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THE REST OF US.

The only thing I see regarding this is this,

JiGhgGp.jpg