XPO | Rumor Mill: It's going again!

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and speculate that it won’t last. Why?...with xpo’s premium rates, the piling on of additional accessorial charges: residential delivery, and lift gates services, there’s no way this will last. The freight bill will be higher than the cost of the freight itself. Kinda like the other day when I looked at buying an m/t 55 gal drum from Uline. $70 for the drum and $125 to get it delivered to my house. No thank you.
Large accts have those fees waived; you just don’t see it down here at driver elevation

It looks like a forklift would have a hard time getting on one of those. ( if we're talking about the kite )

If the point of a mini-pup is to have a less tall trailer for fewer clearance issues , wouldn't there have to be tractors that are low profile too?
It is too small for forklifts and it’s intended to be used with our little mini city tractors...

g3TFhwA.jpg

But in reality, no one with enough seniority to bid a dedicated city tractor is going to want to do residential liftgate deliveries. It’ll get left for some newbie who has to slipseat a road tractor.

It is too small for forklifts and it’s intended to be used with our little mini city tractors...

g3TFhwA.jpg

But in reality, no one with enough seniority to bid a dedicated city tractor is going to want to do residential liftgate deliveries. It’ll get left for some newbie who has to slipseat a road tractor.

You'd think those mini tractors would be permanently paired to a mini trailer.

It looks like a forklift would have a hard time getting on one of those. ( if we're talking about the kite )

If the point of a mini-pup is to have a less tall trailer for fewer clearance issues , wouldn't there have to be tractors that are low profile too?
The straight job that I used to drive was 12’8”, if I remember correctly. Low enough to get under 98% of the city bridges that I encountered when I was assigned with one to do p&d.
Having said that, I can’t imagine needing a vehicle lower than that specifically geared to making lift gate residential deliveries out side of a metro area in the the countryside or suburbs where all underpasses are at least 14’ and higher.
Am i missing something here?

The straight job that I used to drive was 12’8”, if I remember correctly. Low enough to get under 98% of the city bridges that I encountered when I was assigned with one to do p&d.
Having said that, I can’t imagine needing a vehicle lower than that specifically geared to making lift gate residential deliveries out side of a metro area in the the countryside or suburbs where all underpasses are at least 14’ and higher.
Am i missing something here?
I can understand single family home delivery , how the heck do you do a residential delivery to a downtown hi rise building

Why the mini pup? Doesn’t Fedex Freight have enough liftgate straight jobs that will take care of all their liftgate deliveries?
I have seen one of the pups at XMI they were loading it in one of the NJ doors. It was 12'8" and you had no problem getting a forklift in it

XPO has those at some locations too. They pull it with a city tractor with the fairing removed
When I work at RED STAR we had 2 12'8" trailer like that. They were great when you had office building because some of there dock were in the parking garage and going in there with a 13'6" was asking for trouble.

I can understand single family home delivery , how the heck do you do a residential delivery to a downtown hi rise building
I used to drive into a tunnel that lead to loading docks and elevators for a multi storied downtown shopping mall. Maybe hi rise apartment complexes have something similar.
BTW, that hi rise mall went out of business cause you had to pay for parking and the suburbs built ground level malls with free parking. So who in their right mind would want to fight down town city traffic and pay parking to shop? Not me !

I used to drive into a tunnel that lead to loading docks and elevators for a multi storied downtown shopping mall. Maybe hi rise apartment complexes have something similar.
BTW, that hi rise mall went out of business cause you had to pay for parking and the suburbs built ground level malls with free parking. So who in their right mind would want to fight down town city traffic and pay parking to shop? Not me !
Now no one going to the ones with free parking either.
https://www.businessinsider.com/cbl...-for-bankruptcy-ahead-of-black-friday-2020-11

Yeah, everybody is shopping from the comfort and convenience of their homes online. e-commerce is growing @ an exponential rate year over year. You called it FBN...Brick and mortar retail is quickly going the way of the dinosaur.
Hate to see them go because there are lots of thing I want to touch and feel before I buy....The one big problem is most lot lizards don't allow it :438:

Yeah, everybody is shopping from the comfort and convenience of their homes online. e-commerce is growing @ an exponential rate year over year. You called it FBN...Brick and mortar retail is quickly going the way of the dinosaur.
don't need a mask and a gun to rob a store. All you need is a pickup truck and a UPS or FedEX truck to follow

Hate to see them go because there are lots of thing I want to touch and feel before I buy....The one big problem is most lot lizards don't allow it :438:
Yeah, that’s what my wife says... she wants to do the touchy-feely, lookie-see thing b4 she pulls the trigger on a purchase. I guess that’s kinda true with me too. When out shopping with the wife to buy clothes for myself she always tells me, “Go to the dressing room and try it on to see if it fits”.

Yeah, that’s what my wife says... she wants to do the touchy-feely, lookie-see thing b4 she pulls the trigger on a purchase. I guess that’s kinda true with me too. When out shopping with the wife to buy clothes for myself she always tells me, “Go to the dressing room and try it on to see if it fits”.
Now take the wife to Victoria's Secret and tell her the same thing.....