SAIA | Samsara Cameras

A9l2DaO.jpg
I thought FMCSA regulations state, no part of the windshield can be obstructed in the line of the wipers blades? The whole inside of the cab looks distracting.

After listening to what y’all have to say, I’m beginning to think I’m not a good fit at Saia. I don’t need someone calling me every time I yawn. They’d be calling me 50 times a night first night out of the week.
yep! I'll just ride this out till they force me into a truck with this BS camera and then I'll start looking for a new job. I may even purposely yawn continuously just to f with them in the meantime. So be it

It also alert dispatch when truck sits idle more than 10 minutes. Can track you live time and can see all your gauges just as if they were in the truck themselves. It takes 2 seconds to pull up any tractor in the system.

yep! I'll just ride this out till they force me into a truck with this BS camera and then I'll start looking for a new job. I may even purposely yawn continuously just to f with them in the meantime. So be it
If you guys are right about the details, I'm outta here too. They've gone far enough already, now they want to go further.. F that, they can find another career burgerflipper to hire as a dock-to-driver candidate to replace me. Im sure I'll find a new job with my squeaky clean 15 years of experience.

The president of the company said in the 3rd qtr conference call he liked the useage of contract carriers. So between him and the V.P of safety, they may run this company into the ground.

Last edited:
The president of the company said in the 3rd qtr conference call he liked the useage of contract carriers. So between him and the V.P of safety, they may run this company into the ground.
Its all about the $$$. Contract carrier team was 9 hours late out of Chicago with 27 guaranteed bills on their trailer, TM was about too have melt down :duh:. Company team left hour later out of Chicago, beat the Contract carriers team by 10 hours.

Where I work has Samsara tablet e-logs, but no cameras so far. I like their easy e-log set up. Supposedly we’re getting Forward Facing cameras coming in a year or two. Eventually, insurance and lawyers will have everyone using in cab cameras. Good news for me- I’m 66 yrs old. When in cab cameras watch me, I can wave bye to it.

Where I work has Samsara tablet e-logs, but no cameras so far. I like their easy e-log set up. Supposedly we’re getting Forward Facing cameras coming in a year or two. Eventually, insurance and lawyers will have everyone using in cab cameras. Good news for me- I’m 66 yrs old. When in cab cameras watch me, I can wave bye to it.
I’ve used the Samsara elog and it’s great. Outward facing is fine. Inward facing, I’m ok with so long as it only records events if they’re triggered. But this thing that can track “distracted driving” and tattle on me... that’s a bridge too far.

I thought FMCSA regulations state, no part of the windshield can be obstructed in the line of the wipers blades? The whole inside of the cab looks distracting.

Both Lytx and Samsara have an exemption until 2025. They can place cameras up to 4” below the upper wiper line or up to seven inches above the lower wiper line.

Both Lytx and Samsara have an exemption until 2025. They can place cameras up to 4” below the upper wiper line or up to seven inches above the lower wiper line.
So driver vision possibly obstructed is ok until then? Until one of these anti truck lawyers gets a case where they say otherwise. That would be interesting.

So driver vision possibly obstructed is ok until then? Until one of these anti truck lawyers gets a case where they say otherwise. That would be interesting.

It doesn’t obstruct the view, no worse then your dirty windshield, XM receiver, or GPS in the window. I get the excuse about it, would love to use it too, but everyone knows better so I wouldn’t insult anyone’s intelligence with that excuse. The Samsara cameras are about a third the size of the Lytx cameras to boot.
Just wait till California finishes it’s pilot with Geotab on using telematics to eliminate the need to do emissions tests, and insurance companies penalize companies for not having cameras. EVERY carrier will have it in one form or another.
Here’s the real truth. You text and drive, watch you tube videos, surf the net, and your pissed that your not going to be able to do it anymore and your struggling to not admit it and coming up with excuses. I did too. I did all of that. Quit claiming it’s something else. You know eliminating distracted driving will prevent more accidents the a little 2X3” camera will ever cause. Just admit it and go to work for some mom or pops log hauler for half the money.