SAIA | Samsara Cameras

It doesn’t obstruct the view, no worse then your dirty windshield, XM receiver, or GPS in the window. I get the excuse about it, would love to use it too, but everyone knows better so I wouldn’t insult anyone’s intelligence with that excuse. The Samsara cameras are about a third the size of the Lytx cameras to boot.
Just wait till California finishes it’s pilot with Geotab on using telematics to eliminate the need to do emissions tests, and insurance companies penalize companies for not having cameras. EVERY carrier will have it in one form or another.
Here’s the real truth. You text and drive, watch you tube videos, surf the net, and your pissed that your not going to be able to do it anymore and your struggling to not admit it and coming up with excuses. I did too. I did all of that. Quit claiming it’s something else. You know eliminating distracted driving will prevent more accidents the a little 2X3” camera will ever cause. Just admit it and go to work for some mom or pops log hauler for half the money.
Although I never liked them. They do help with safety and for insurance companies that’s the bottom line.

It doesn’t obstruct the view, no worse then your dirty windshield, XM receiver, or GPS in the window. I get the excuse about it, would love to use it too, but everyone knows better so I wouldn’t insult anyone’s intelligence with that excuse. The Samsara cameras are about a third the size of the Lytx cameras to boot.
Just wait till California finishes it’s pilot with Geotab on using telematics to eliminate the need to do emissions tests, and insurance companies penalize companies for not having cameras. EVERY carrier will have it in one form or another.
Here’s the real truth. You text and drive, watch you tube videos, surf the net, and your pissed that your not going to be able to do it anymore and your struggling to not admit it and coming up with excuses. I did too. I did all of that. Quit claiming it’s something else. You know eliminating distracted driving will prevent more accidents the a little 2X3” camera will ever cause. Just admit it and go to work for some mom or pops log hauler for half the money.

Eliminating distracted driving is not the issue, I’m all in favor of driving only or using hands free and not watching movies while driving. That’s a given. What I’m not in favor of is carriers being alerted any time something is considered “distracted” driving. If it’s going to tattle on me every time I yawn after being up all day and then being required to drive all night because that’s when the company needs me... I've got a big problem with that. I can manage my fatigue, and I don’t need someone babysitting me and telling me how to do the job. I can do that fine by myself thank you.

Eliminating distracted driving is not the issue, I’m all in favor of driving only or using hands free and not watching movies while driving. That’s a given. What I’m not in favor of is carriers being alerted any time something is considered “distracted” driving. If it’s going to tattle on me every time I yawn after being up all day and then being required to drive all night because that’s when the company needs me... I've got a big problem with that. I can manage my fatigue, and I don’t need someone babysitting me and telling me how to do the job. I can do that fine by myself thank you.

But not everyone is able to, or we would never have anyone falling asleep while driving. Do you think that there is a single driver that fell asleep behind the wheel that hadn’t said the same thing you just did? It’s like saying “It’s not if you’ve fell asleep driving but when your going to fall asleep driving.” I’ve nodded off and caught myself, I’ve ran into the shoulder, I’ve just been lucky. I was lucky for 35 years, not everyone is. No one gets used to being tired.

But not everyone is able to, or we would never have anyone falling asleep while driving. Do you think that there is a single driver that fell asleep behind the wheel that hadn’t said the same thing you just did? It’s like saying “It’s not if you’ve fell asleep driving but when your going to fall asleep driving.” I’ve nodded off and caught myself, I’ve ran into the shoulder, I’ve just been lucky. I was lucky for 35 years, not everyone is. No one gets used to being tired.

This is an industry wide problem that will not be solved by monitoring and reprimanding/terminating drivers, turning it into a revolving door employer.

This is an industry wide problem that will not be solved by monitoring and reprimanding/terminating drivers, turning it into a revolving door employer.
I agree. It’s all in how the company uses it. There are many that use it correctly. Saia hasn’t been one of them. That’s the issue, not the tech. Make that argument and you might make headway but if you keep up the with the BS you won’t make any headway. Most people are just pissed that they won’t be able to text and get online while driving but won’t admit it.

Turnover is a major cost! MAJOR! It contributes to accidents and many other operational factors. You have that in your favor. Hopefully they will eventually understand that if they were more like OD in their business model they could improve the operation ratio by at least 2 points and maybe even more.

Constantly switching drivers from days to nights and nights to days is what causes so much driver fatigue IMO. Carriers stop that they will see less wrecks.
I agree with you there.... when I had a schedule I was a lot least fatigued, than when I'm in the system (wild) driver.

A9l2DaO.jpg