TForce | smokin in the south

peteb2006

TB Lurker
Credits
we just hired 9 more dock workers and 3 more drivers... TM said today starting next month we get BB&B back.. this month last year BB&B gave us 3400 shipments, now thats bill count, TM says at least 3-4 more drivers will be hired in the next 2-3 weeks.... we're smoking in GVL...go, go, go UPSF

how is your terminal doing?

Hey southergrits, Do you know if BBB is going to be nationwide? We are slamed up here too with a ton of freight. They are adding 2 more P&D and a few dock guys. Not bad for March when everyone else is laying off.

Nice to know, but wheres the equipment to drive? They holler if we rent about the cost, but we are down to nothing. Deadline a road unit for repairs, and down the road it goes into the city no matter what step of authority you tell.

I know that the Bed Bath & Beyond Stores that are in my terminals delivery area,has hated us not doing all of their deliveries.
Every receiving manager has told me that getting other trucking companies to deliever was a bad mistake that their corporate made.

They like us coming in early,but then they have to receive the rest of their deliveries from Estes,Roadway,ABF,Yellow,and Fedex ground.

They say we only have 16% of their freight at this time.

Being a city driver I have no way of knowing about what the BB&B's think in the rest of our UPS Freight system?

But as far as the four stores my terminal services.
I really think they miss the good service we give them,along with the friendly drivers that unload,and ask where they'd like their pallets staged in their recieving areas.

Sounds like the old Overnite management is still running this ship tomcat?

Their old way of doing things is like the chicken,and the egg therory.

We have to have more business at our terminals to justify having more equipment in our terminals inventory.
But how can we grow our business if we don't have the equipment avaliable?

we just hired 9 more dock workers and 3 more drivers... TM said today starting next month we get BB&B back.. this month last year BB&B gave us 3400 shipments, now thats bill count, TM says at least 3-4 more drivers will be hired in the next 2-3 weeks.... we're smoking in GVL...go, go, go UPSF

how is your terminal doing?

Well I work the dock on occasion, and the last thing I want too see is that crap, I realize there is worse things we could be hauling, everything is broken down and takes a long time too recover when we are trying too make city cut's.

I also cannot stand the odasity of these people watching you pull some of these pallets off of the truck, some are heavy, some are awkward, hard too move in general, and they stand there and watch you struggle with the damn things at time of delivery.

When this occured at one of the BB&B I delivered too, the recieving MGR'S helper was going too give me a hand and this MGR. says to her helper "thats his job let him do it" .

At this time I was a little irate and I had too tell her " If you do not give me a hand I am going too put the pallet back into the truck and leave" .

She did call dispatch on me, but I am not pulling my nads for anyone including dispatch. My dispatcher told me if I was'nt going too do it he was going too send me home, so I told him the same as I told her, got back into the truck after they helped me out, and drove back too the terminal with the rest of the load, punched out and went home.

On the way out the door the dispatcher was running after me and apoligizing, I went home anyway.

We have 10 stores here in the ntheast. and they are all the same way, they say it is a liability issue as too why they do not enter the truck. It's phucking crap as far as I am concearned.:butt kiss:

Well Accelerator the receivers I deliver to stand and watch me as well as you.
But I ask them for help when I think I need it to pull their skids off,and they come on my trailer to push.
They've never given me any argument.

Maybe its just because I'm an old dude,and they don't want me to kick the bucket while I'm in their store?

But I'm always smiling,and joking with them whenever I make this delivery.
They've always seemed more than happy to help me whenever I asked.

Maybe its different,in other parts of the country,but I really don't mind delivering to our BB&B's.

Well Accelerator the receivers I deliver to stand and watch me as well as you.
But I ask them for help when I think I need it to pull their skids off,and they come on my trailer to push.
They've never given me any argument.

Maybe its just because I'm an old dude,and they don't want me to kick the bucket while I'm in their store?

But I'm always smiling,and joking with them whenever I make this delivery.
They've always seemed more than happy to help me whenever I asked.

Maybe its different,in other parts of the country,but I really don't mind delivering to our BB&B's.

Well APO. maybe the " Kicking the bucket " theory works for you, but not elsewhere, I just think it is plain common courtesy too help someone without being asked if you see someone having a hard time, with anything. I hope the new contract if it happens say's end of the trailer....

Hey Accelerator that reminds me of when I worked for CF, we delivered Wally World. They would stand there and watch you bust your butt pulling skids off at their docks. Most of what we delivered was displays, long heavy skids, not fun by your self. So I know what you are saying brother, it stinks!!! And another good one is Joann Fabric that one stinks also.

Stimpy now that you bring it up Wal-Mart docks must be like that everywhere.

The receivers claim Wal-Mart's insurance won't cover them on outside vendors trucks,or trailers.

We don't get much for them other than American Greetings which isn't usually that bad.

Although now that you've posted about them not helping us.
Can we say we can't come into the receiving area of your building,because we won't be covered.
When you've unloaded your stuff you can sign my bill at the back door I'll be waiting here?

I know we'd never get away with that,because we would have a stand off,and this freight would be undeliverable.

Stimpy now that you bring it up Wal-Mart docks must be like that everywhere.

The receivers claim Wal-Mart's insurance won't cover them on outside vendors trucks,or trailers.

We don't get much for them other than American Greetings which isn't usually that bad.

Although now that you've posted about them not helping us.
Can we say we can't come into the receiving area of your building,because we won't be covered.
When you've unloaded your stuff you can sign my bill at the back door I'll be waiting here?

I know we'd never get away with that,because we would have a stand off,and this freight would be undeliverable.

I've done that very thing Apostolic. I wasn't a very popular guy that day at that stop but I made my point.

These customers are getting worse and worse every day. I had a customer tell me he could not go onto my trailer so I grabbed my jack and dropped the skid on the tail of my trailer and told him it was a tailgate delivery and if he wanted me to go any farther with it there would be inside delivery charges.

I'm not usually like that and have no problem working with people but sometimes you just have to put your foot down to these companies that want the driver to do more and more of their own work.

I have actually delivered to one foodservice warehouse that not only wants us to sort and segregate the freight but they also want us to wrap the freight when we are done. The worst part is that the receiver will not help at all. He just leans on his cart and watches.

Things are just getting out of hand now. :chairshot:

We have a standing appoinment at a grocery general merhandise warehouse south of Rochester.
Everything is Sort,and seg.
by all drivers from the trucking companies that deliver there.
Now heres whats interesting about charging for handling their products.
Everytime we deliver there we charge more per case to touch their stuff putting it on their pallets,than anyother trucking company.
Us UPS Freight drivers have to write the number of cases we touch on the DR's of every shipper,and circle,it with our first name.

This grocery outfit back charges the shipper for us touching the product,because they say it should come in ready to be stored in their warehouse.

The shipper tells the trucking companies that haul their product,that if they want to continue to haul their product,not to charge them sort,and seg.

So I call this practise the assesorial charge circle.
We do all of this extra work for nothing, but we have to go along with the process.

Talk about customers getting away with having it their way.
This grocery warehouse really knows how to get their way.

This chain of grocery stores has a neat slogon they are always advertising,to their customers.
(EVERY DAY YOU GET OUR BEST)

I've done that very thing Apostolic. I wasn't a very popular guy that day at that stop but I made my point.

These customers are getting worse and worse every day. I had a customer tell me he could not go onto my trailer so I grabbed my jack and dropped the skid on the tail of my trailer and told him it was a tailgate delivery and if he wanted me to go any farther with it there would be inside delivery charges.

I'm not usually like that and have no problem working with people but sometimes you just have to put your foot down to these companies that want the driver to do more and more of their own work.

I have actually delivered to one foodservice warehouse that not only wants us to sort and segregate the freight but they also want us to wrap the freight when we are done. The worst part is that the receiver will not help at all. He just leans on his cart and watches.

Things are just getting out of hand now. :chairshot:

I could not agree with you more CFER, someone does have to put thier foot down.

Dispatchers and TM'S alike want to know exactly what we are doing on a regular basis , but time for this and that at a customer adds up after a while, and it only stands to reason after a while, If you do everything for the customer, who will do your job?

Most people at BB&B are usually younger than I but for the most paet are just as capable as I too move pallets, Failure for help on thier part does not constatute an emergency on mine.

These people want you to do more for them ,too make thier day easier, and that is a farse.
If you cant stand the heat , get out of the kitchen....

I think this doing everything for the customer without being rewarded with more money is the reason UPS checked out BB&B when we were being rebranded.

They said we want to be paid more for all the extras we are required to do having this account.
But BB&B said nope we are used to you doing it free,if you charge any more we will have other trucking companies service us.

Now this is just my opinion,but I could be right on with this idea.

I think this doing everything for the customer without being rewarded with more money is the reason UPS checked out BB&B when we were being rebranded.

They said we want to be paid more for all the extras we are required to do having this account.
But BB&B said nope we are used to you doing it free,if you charge any more we will have other trucking companies service us.

Now this is just my opinion,but I could be right on with this idea.

Regaurdless as too wether UPS get's paid big buck's or not, is no excuse for the abscence of common courtesy, I do not care what anyone thinks.

If you see a 75 year old lady outside shoveling snow ,would you stand there and watch ,and is most likely haveing a hard time? Or would you help out?

If you see a 75 year old lady outside shoveling snow ,would you stand there and watch ,and is most likely haveing a hard time? Or would you help out?

No, I would probably take some action on her with my fellow neighbors. 10 to 1 she slips, 5 to 1 she kicks the bucket.....:hysterical:

Regaurdless as too wether UPS get's paid big buck's or not, is no excuse for the abscence of common courtesy, I do not care what anyone thinks.

I would stand and watch and wait for her to fall, Then I would steal her shovel.:hysterical: