XPO | Smoking in the trucks and on the yard!

Automatic termination in canada. In ontario and quebec, it's illegal to smoke in a truck that you do not own. They now consider the cab of a tractor a workplace. If you own your own truck and are by yourself, you are ok. No passengers allowed. $10.000 fine for the first offence. The company does not allow it canada wide. Dcmilkwagon, it's been company policy for over a year now. Ask your SCM to pull it up for you. If we get a truck that went down for service, and if it comes back smelling of smoke or has ashes in it, we have to get the FOS and call linehaul to document it before we take the truck. Draconian... maybe. But I'm a non smoker, and don't mind it at all. We have smokers working for us, and they are very respectful to the rest of us.

Automatic termination in canada. In ontario and quebec, it's illegal to smoke in a truck that you do not own. They now consider the cab of a tractor a workplace. If you own your own truck and are by yourself, you are ok. No passengers allowed. $10.000 fine for the first offence.

There you go all the whiny babies can transfer to Canada, it appears they will fit right in up there. They won't even have to go to an SCM, they can call the mounties to let them investigate, oooops $10,000 fine! :stirthepot:

If you don't want the mess of others in your tractor, get a truckload job!

There you go all the whiny babies can transfer to Canada, it appears they will fit right in up there. They won't even have to go to an SCM, they can call the mounties to let them investigate, oooops $10,000 fine! :stirthepot:

Ain't no disguising the fact .... that's the most intelligent, well thought out reply on this thread yet. Still secretly holding out for that NASA position one day aren't we???

hahahahahahhahahahahahahaha.....and hahahahahaha

Show me where it is illegal to smoke in our company trucks.....

I don't know what state you're in, but Ohio passed the law several years ago.
ANY truck not owned by you is considered a "workplace" and therefore is covered by the "no smoking" law.
If you need details, it's Chapter 3794 of the Ohio Revised Code.
Here's a link http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3794
Here's a link to all states and their laws http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans_in_the_United_States

Last edited by a moderator:

How about this? "If you want to make a mess and stink up a truck, YOU get a truckload job"! We'll stay here.

I mentioned in an earlier thread here that I bid off line-haul for 2011 for the first time in a while citing "knocking the butts" as one of the main reasons for doing so. Having quit before and starting again like an idiot, I know it will be much easier for me to quit since I won't really be driving much. After reading this thread, I suppose I will now give up on that goal and simply turn in my resignation Monday. A lot of drivers will move up a slot too so I guess it's a win win right..

Isnt it "scary" someone could blow cigarette smoke into the cab of a truck......flick some ashes everywhere and the blame get placed on another driver? Said driver parks his truck and goes home only to come back to work the next day being accused of smoking in company equiptment. False accusations have happened b4!

Isnt it "scary" someone could blow cigarette smoke into the cab of a truck......flick some ashes everywhere and the blame get placed on another driver? Said driver parks his truck and goes home only to come back to work the next day being accused of smoking in company equiptment. False accusations have happened b4!

Yep, your exactly right, a few years ago, we had a new FOS that tried to write me up for leaving one of the trucks unlocked. I refused to sign it, I did however write in the drivers remarks section that I was refusing the LOI because there were over 100 people at our terminal that had a key to that truck, and that the FOS needed to prove to me beyond a reasonable doubt that it was me that left it open and not someone else. I handed it back to him, he read what I wrote on it, crumpled it up and threw it in the trash, he has never tried that again with me or anyone else that I am aware of.

How about this? "If you want to make a mess and stink up a truck, YOU get a truckload job"! We'll stay here.

You have it all backwards my friend. All of the petty whiners in our barn come from a truckload job of one kind or another. They cry to management if someone leaves a soda bottle or chip wrapper in a tractor. People are going to forget things in the truck from time to time. Our #1 whiner(who came from CFI) brought up in VVT that trucks were too trashy.Trust me I've been around the block, our trucks aren't that bad. If you want to be a freightman deal with it. If you want a truck that's perfectly clean, go get a truck driving job, remember A MONKEY CAN DRIVE A TRUCK!:clappy:

I say we fire all drivers who smoke, then when they are all gone we fire all who use chewing tobacco, then when those are gone we fire all drivers who drink alcohol, then when they are gone we fire all of those that......this company is turning into a bunch of liberal, whinny cry-babies....

Con-way management likes to see drivers stick it to other drivers.That way they do not need to deal with are a team
that stick's together.Even management knows you can't trust a RAT.:GrowUp:

You have it all backwards my friend. All of the petty whiners in our barn come from a truckload job of one kind or another. They cry to management if someone leaves a soda bottle or chip wrapper in a tractor. People are going to forget things in the truck from time to time. Our #1 whiner(who came from CFI) brought up in VVT that trucks were too trashy.Trust me I've been around the block, our trucks aren't that bad. If you want to be a freightman deal with it. If you want a truck that's perfectly clean, go get a truck driving job, remember A MONKEY CAN DRIVE A TRUCK!:clappy:
Gosh, I hope I can one day aspire to be a real "freight man". Thank you for helping me set my goal. Until then, I will still expect common courtesy from my fellow driver. As far as a soda bottle or chip wrapper, that's not what the post is about. No one "forgets" cigarette stink in a truck. You're right, our trucks aren't that bad. They would be a little better if certain ones didn't stink like an ashtray.

I say we fire all drivers who smoke, then when they are all gone we fire all who use chewing tobacco, then when those are gone we fire all drivers who drink alcohol, then when they are gone we fire all of those that......this company is turning into a bunch of liberal, whinny cry-babies....

Amen to that!

How about a new twist. I can't stand all of you non smokers. You go into the drivers room and you either smell Bengay because you are so sore from doing all of that work or you put on so much man purfume the place smells like a gay bathhouse.

How about a new twist. I can't stand all of you non smokers. You go into the drivers room and you either smell Bengay because you are so sore from doing all of that work or you put on so much man purfume the place smells like a gay bathhouse.

It is good to know you know what a gay bathhouse smells like. I will not turn my back on you.:452::nut_kick:

It's simple, Policy states " NO SMOKING ON OR IN COMPANY PROPERTY " also for all of you that's been here awhile you remember a period we went through about 8 to 9 years ago when in many of the trucks you would have to kick the trash out of the way just to get in the truck. A letter was sent from XGO (after drivers started to complain) about truck cleanliness that was read at atleast 2 of our then Thursday meetings and we even had people writen up for it. So For the ones who don't get it, it's simple NO SMOKING IN THE TRUCKS AND IF YOU BROUGHT IT WITH YOU WHEN YOU GOT IN THEN TAKE IT WITH YOU WHEN YOU GET OUT. Clean up after yourselves, No one wants to clean up after you.......