FedEx Freight | So your interested in coming to FDXF for a driving job?

I would apply at a bowling alley and engrave bowling balls with TB on them and polish them.
Skip - people - cell phones - ignorant management - traffic - DOT - doctors. Just Smokestack
and my balls.
You might try the golf course.
D D may get you hooked up with Red, I hear he's looking for a ball washer.

You're making a lot of assumptions.

There is ZERO indication that Fx, or the LtL world is wanting to grow.
Also, we're on the cusp of a recession. At Fx specifically, it's a crap shoot as to what they have planned for Freight. You really want to walk on to a job with that much uncertainty?

All of that is not factoring in advancements in tech that will almost certainly eliminate long haul jobs within a decade.
Maybe that will happen. But as long as their automobiles controlled by humans the need for drivers will continue to grow. We have been sold a bill of goods about autonomous semis. NOT likely to happen I the next 30 years. I mean we have the nations highways clogged up with drivers who were not born here. But they are coming her to work as truck drivers. To me that sounds like opportunity.
Is it an opportunity for a better life from wherever they came from or because Americans don’t want to work anymore? Only time will tell.
As far as FDX not wanting to grow… well that is ALL they want to do is grow. They raised rates and volume went up Huh.shunned major shippers and huh they came back. My career is about over but LTL is only going to grow from here. FDF and OD will be the only 2 left standing.

Old Dominion s insurance is worse than ours. I think you're confusing them with Saia.

Our equipment isn't bad. I've done a few prehire test drives that made me thankful for FedEx equipment.

Moral is pretty low. Raise was a bust, our bonus got left behind when the OM took off and our insurance is disappointing for a company the size of FedEx.

At Estes, you'll be sitting for free until your trailer is ready. I have a friend that left FedEx and went there. He's pretty happy, but I'd get a call every night saying he was sitting for 2 or 3 hours waiting on his trailer. Old Dominion pays delay after an hour. They also did economic terminations when things got slow. Walk in one day to be told you're terminated and your benefits cease at 1159 PM.

I'd take FedEx over either one. I'd also take FedEx over Saia. I don't want a camera in my face the whole time I'm driving.

My only warning with people coming here is that being on the bottom sucks and depending on the building it might take some time to get something decent. Prepare for lots of dock work and learn how the politics here work. Once you learn how to push back on purple shirts, they'll never bother you.

As for favoritism, that does exist. I'd advise sending an email to the driver advisor and employee relations about it. You want a paper trail so that you can prove your case when you have to. They'll also stop playing that game with you because they'll know you're going above their head on that and documenting everything.
Curious as to what you mean by your bonus got left behind?

Fine,
Remove the automation aspect, and it's still a pretty bleak "career".
Pilot/Flying J are going in halfers now with a company to build a port for self driving trucks in Villa Rica GA. some being built in Texas as well as California. It wont be 30 years away. Maybe 2030 but its coming whether we like it or not. Of course it will be said its all because of safety. Wont have to worry about human error. Well what about being hacked then you have a 80,000 pound killing machine on the roads. I bet insurance is going to astronomical for one these tractors.

Pilot/Flying J are going in halfers now with a company to build a port for self driving trucks in Villa Rica GA. some being built in Texas as well as California. It wont be 30 years away. Maybe 2030 but its coming whether we like it or not. Of course it will be said its all because of safety. Wont have to worry about human error. Well what about being hacked then you have a 80,000 pound killing machine on the roads. I bet insurance is going to astronomical for one these tractors.

That's nothing new. They've all been investing in these companies for over a decade. Companies like tusimple, Aurora and Locomotion have been getting different trucking companies to give them money for over a decade. They've made no progress for the endless supply of money they had and today there's no money. Investors rather put their money in bonds with guaranteed returns instead of these tech gurus that have produced nothing. And again, that's before getting into all the infrastructure problems and costs associated with that aspect.

That's nothing new. They've all been investing in these companies for over a decade. Companies like tusimple, Aurora and Locomotion have been getting different trucking companies to give them money for over a decade. They've made no progress for the endless supply of money they had and today there's no money. Investors rather put their money in bonds with guaranteed returns instead of these tech gurus that have produced nothing. And again, that's before getting into all the infrastructure problems and costs associated with that aspect.

He puts my thoughts together pretty well on the self driving truck stuff.

You guys worrying about self driving trucks are worried about the wrong thing. What industry do you think these guest voters that have been getting dropped off all over the country are going to be trained to do? The government isn’t going to remove or exterminate them so as the taxpayers squeal that the illegals need to start working and paying taxes and supporting themselves, they’re going to need jobs that even the dimmest of bulbs can handle.

“I’ve got job security! I’m a truck driver. They can’t export my job.” No, but they can import others to do it, for much less than you’ll do it for.

You guys worrying about self driving trucks are worried about the wrong thing. What industry do you think these guest voters that have been getting dropped off all over the country are going to be trained to do? The government isn’t going to remove or exterminate them so as the taxpayers squeal that the illegals need to start working and paying taxes and supporting themselves, they’re going to need jobs that even the dimmest of bulbs can handle.

“I’ve got job security! I’m a truck driver. They can’t export my job.” No, but they can import others to do it, for much less than you’ll do it for.
Interesting perspective

They should probably focus on perfecting autonomous passenger vehicles before we hand over control of 40 ton trucks to the 1’s and 0’s.

Just go on YouTube and look up how advanced that technology is, fails and successes, and you’ll understand that we are at least another 15+ years away. It’s not the automation that’s the problem, it’s the brain dead, distracted and ignorant steering wheel holders (cars and trucks both) that those who program these systems have to account for and keep safe.

The amount of computing power and algorithms required is enormous, but I’m sure that one day soon that computer will fit in a car or truck instead of a research campus or college.

More likely your going to see trucks "platooning" than full autonomous with a driver in a lead vehicle and one or two unstaffed vehicles following. Much of the equipment infrastructure is already there (and fitted)with adaptive cruise and forward facing cameras, and with just a few already existing technology installments and it could be rolled out tomorrow.

More likely your going to see trucks "platooning" than full autonomous with a driver in a lead vehicle and one or two unstaffed vehicles following. Much of the equipment infrastructure is already there (and fitted)with adaptive cruise and forward facing cameras, and with just a few already existing technology installments and it could be rolled out tomorrow.
FedEx Freight and Volvo did a platooning demonstration in 2018 in North Carolina.