TForce | talked to some more UPSF sleeper drivers today

truckinus

TB Veteran
Credits
I asked if they had signed their Union cards yet and did they realize all of the advantages of the Teamsters. I was told they got paid the same as we do and my pension wasn't protected. Where do these guys get this crap from? I informed them that we get paid for every minute of wait time and our pension is extremely protected and around double what UPSF offers. I believe I'm right on this? This was in SLC,UT. How are things going there? Doesn't sound very good to me?

truckinusa said:
I asked if they had signed their Union cards yet and did they realize all of the advantages of the Teamsters. I was told they got paid the same as we do and my pension wasn't protected. Where do these guys get this crap from? I informed them that we get paid for every minute of wait time and our pension is extremely protected and around double what UPSF offers. I believe I'm right on this? This was in SLC,UT. How are things going there? Doesn't sound very good to me?

Salt Lake terminal for MC was an open shop union terminal up until a year ago when the union decided not to represent them any longer. Don't know for sure the reason why, heard that they did not have enough on the union side to represent. You might have talked to an employee from somewhere else.

You know honestly, It could be worse. I can think of more than a few places to work that don't have what we have.

steve5 said:
You might have talked to an employee from somewhere else.
I know we stop at SLC to fuel, so on top of all the teams getting freight at SLC....there are a ton of teams stopping for fuel. It is the last fuel stop(at a terminal) on the way to California.

Valerie said:
My husband runs to SLC every week. It will probably be very hard to get him pumped up about the union.

I think there won't be many terminals go the way of Reno and Indy. Which is good. UPSF will stay mainly nonunion.:bananapowerslide:

I think most of the terminals will be signing cards FOR the Teamsters Union. Unlike some of you most people will recognize the advantages of being organized with a contract and having bonafide representation.:1036316054:

Skeeter said:
I think there won't be many terminals go the way of Reno and Indy. Which is good. UPSF will stay mainly nonunion.:bananapowerslide:
Sorry to bust your bubble Skeeter. Terminals are falling like dominos. The funny thing is that the south are starting to organize. It comes down to bear facts and brass tacks. When you get hit in the wallet, you might think differently. Let a gypsy take out your bid run and see how you feel.

truckinusa said:
I'm just trying to get everyone pumped up about the union, but not seeing too much excitement.
I hope that their is not to much excitement YET!! The whole idea of this (from the teamsters) The plan is to negotiate a STRONG contract in Indianapolis, and with that contract we can answer many of the potential questions that Ups Freight drivers would have about joining the union, Hall said. The contract will be the tool we use to successfully organize other terminals.

So my question is this: Why is everyone trying to get represented now, rather than waiting for this STRONG contract to be drafted and agreed apon? The message that you are sending by doing this is: You don't have to work so hard to get us a STRONG contract, You already have us. The way I see it, Is just wait and let the teamsters get that STRONG contract and the rest will fall into place. The teamsters have a plan. Let them do it. The teamsters know that in order to successfully organize "O" they need to get us a contract that we can't refuse. But if you all jump the gun, They won't have to work so hard at getting that strong contract and can just settle for the best that they can with UPS. There is no loss in waiting for this contract to be drafted and agreed apon. Even if you are represented you still have to wait for this contract to be drafted and agreed apon. If you get represented now before the contract is agreed apon you take the risk of the "O" games. You also take the risk of not getting your annual wage increase. But if you wait and the contract is as good as they claim you will see the domino effect and in numbers we are stronger and the risk of the "O" games will not exsist.

Good post BusterNite. I think they can go a long way working on the contract first and then who knows, there may be many that will decided they are in favor of the union.

Valerie said:
Good post BusterNite. I think they can go a long way working on the contract first and then who knows, there may be many that will decided they are in favor of the union.

I get the impression,( and is only my opinion of coarse) That there is alot of closet union people in this company in fear of thier job being lost, simply by opening thier mouth.

I also get the impression that when the contract does come out, alot of these people will be sighning. Because they can and not because it makes scence.

BusterNite said:
I hope that their is not to much excitement YET!! The whole idea of this (from the teamsters) The plan is to negotiate a STRONG contract in Indianapolis, and with that contract we can answer many of the potential questions that Ups Freight drivers would have about joining the union, Hall said. The contract will be the tool we use to successfully organize other terminals.

So my question is this: Why is everyone trying to get represented now, rather than waiting for this STRONG contract to be drafted and agreed apon? The message that you are sending by doing this is: You don't have to work so hard to get us a STRONG contract, You already have us. The way I see it, Is just wait and let the teamsters get that STRONG contract and the rest will fall into place. The teamsters have a plan. Let them do it. The teamsters know that in order to successfully organize "O" they need to get us a contract that we can't refuse. But if you all jump the gun, They won't have to work so hard at getting that strong contract and can just settle for the best that they can with UPS. There is no loss in waiting for this contract to be drafted and agreed apon. Even if you are represented you still have to wait for this contract to be drafted and agreed apon. If you get represented now before the contract is agreed apon you take the risk of the "O" games. You also take the risk of not getting your annual wage increase. But if you wait and the contract is as good as they claim you will see the domino effect and in numbers we are stronger and the risk of the "O" games will not exsist.
Nice post and outlook but you are wrong about the Teamsters not having to work hard on this if everyone signs on. All the other union companies are watching this contract because ours is coming up in 2008. YRCW is looking diredtly at this before begginning talks. So this is very important to 300,000 other freight members and all of the whole LTL business.

christopher3573 said:
Nice post and outlook but you are wrong about the Teamsters not having to work hard on this if everyone signs on. All the other union companies are watching this contract because ours is coming up in 2008. YRCW is looking diredtly at this before begginning talks. So this is very important to 300,000 other freight members and all of the whole LTL business.

Regardless as to weather we become union now or not , the upper echelon of the union should be negotiating a strong contract anyway, because of what this contract represent's. Do not forget the teamster's need member's. They have lost quite a few in the past umpteen years scince deregulation. And I am quite sure the other union freight co's. and nonunion co's. are looking at this with a magnifying glass. They would be stupid not too.

Skeeter said:
At this point I think your right. But I'm wondering with the big hiring frenzy they might have possible lowered the percentage of people willing to vote in the Union.

SlowRide said:
At this point I think your right. But I'm wondering with the big hiring frenzy they might have possible lowered the percentage of people willing to vote in the Union.
We had three new hires and all three signed cards. One Teamster on sabatical, and two nebbies out of truckemup school.

christopher3573 said:
Maybe so, But a separate contract within Upsf wont do much good for all others that are under the NMFA.

Accelerator said:
Regardless as to weather we become union now or not , the upper echelon of the union should be negotiating a strong contract anyway, because of what this contract represent's. Do not forget the teamster's need member's. They have lost quite a few in the past umpteen years scince deregulation. And I am quite sure the other union freight co's. and nonunion co's. are looking at this with a magnifying glass. They would be stupid not too.
We all can think, or believe anything we want, But lets take all the guess work out of it and lets read the contract. I don't believe UPS is concerned with all the other freight company's that are waiting and watching for this great contract. After all its UPS that has to agree to the terms of this contract.

christopher3573 said:
The better the contract the harder it will be to get UPS to agree to it. If the teamsters want to give us this unbelievable contract because everybody is watching thats great. But will UPS feel the same way? I doubt it. There are so many ins and outs its best to wait and read the agreed apon contract and only then we will know exactly what we are buying.

Accelerator said:
I get the impression,( and is only my opinion of coarse) That there is alot of closet union people in this company in fear of thier job being lost, simply by opening thier mouth.

I also get the impression that when the contract does come out, alot of these people will be sighning. Because they can and not because it makes scence.
And not reading a contract and just sighning because they can: this is what got NEMF such a great contract!!!!

I am hearing alot about all the terminals that have sighned cards and have the majority. But I don't see any under teamster representation. Are the teamsters holding these cards and not going public with the results until the contract has been agreed to?