TForce | TDU good or bad?

There ya go "Overnite" ......

To run an election that is done by mail, to allow each nominee the opportunity to get their message out to the membership costs money. There are all kinds of ways the general election costs money. ALL of the campaign money must come from donations and the likes but to run an election costs money.

The bottom line is that some of the views and issues raised by TDU (NOT THE TDU) are valid. The problem is that in reality they are not there about those concerns. They are there to divide and get control of the IBT. The head of TDU isn't even a Teamster, never has been and never will be. [?B]

TDU = :BS:

Understand Overnite, I am not attacking you, I want to know where you are coming from.

I have heard all my life "Those that can't - imitate" - as in they (TDU) would/will always be second best - because they are imitating the very best.

Darkstar

Then YOU answer ......

TDU (Teamsters for a Democratic Union) - We're Teamsters for a DEMOCRATIC Union. That means the right to question what' going on in our union. It's called Free Speech in the U.S.A. It also means getting actively involved in the Teamsters - our union. An informed and active membership is our best bet at ORGANIZING to WIN - not just at UPS Freight but at other terminals and shops both union and non-union. If TDU was such a scurge for our unon and irrelevant, it wouldn't have lasted for over thirty years.

As to Overnite/UPS Freight, I welcome all the brothers and sisters in to our union - warts and all. Let them come in with open eyes. BTW, I walked the Overnite line many a night here in Detroit/Taylor and am proud of it. I would have gladly helped organize this round at UPS Freight - had I been asked.

And finally, once a Marine, always a Marine. I hold the same for any Teamster brother or sister. Once a Teamster, always a Teamster!

..... the questions I put to "Overnite".

Also, "I would have gladly helped organize this round at UPS Freight - had I been asked."
"And finally, once a Marine, always a Marine. (I am glad for you, give you that honor due, no questions there). I hold the same for any Teamster brother or sister. Once a Teamster, always a Teamster!"
....... Detroit Pete

1. You had to be asked to help? (Now, that statement is in direct contradiction to "Once a Teamster, always a Teamster" doesn't it?) Or does a TDU member NOT help out an IBT member "as a Teamster Brother/Sister"?!?

2. Did I say TDU was a scurge? No, I said that the Teamsters waded into the fray, fought the fight for the workers rights, dignity, then here comes TDU after the fact. Where is that not true? Where was TDU when all the organizing was going on countrywide the first time? One or two members, a token presence? Where has TDU been the VERY FIRST to lead an organization effort?

I stood out on a corner one night after I got off work and was surrounded by Teamsters trying to get me to see the truth they were telling me. I was young and dumb, but I sure got older and brighter after my company reintroduced themselves to me much to my disgust. Everything I had been told about them came home to roost in my face that day, and it came home hard.

TDU wants respect/dues from UPSF - get the heck out there and EARN it! Answer the questions - exactly what can TDU do for the workers of UPSF? Magic tricks? Anything worth having has to be fought over, won the hard way, or you never learn to appreciate it. TDU may have been started for a good reason, but it is a day late and a dollar short - just like APWA or whatever they call it.

Darkstar

Heres my two cents on the TDU.
They are a very good source of information I'll give them that much.

But they really hate the main line Teamsters,and are always trying to dethrone the Teamster leadership.

They were started for the right reasons way back when they wanted to have the union for the union members.
but now I just think they are trying to undermind everything the present leadership is doing,or trying to do.

Just my opinion of what I know about them,which really isn't a whole lot.

But they really hate the main line Teamsters,and are always trying to dethrone the Teamster leadership.

They were started for the right reasons way back when they wanted to have the union for the union members.
but now I just think they are trying to undermind everything the present leadership is doing,or trying to do.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one. If Hoffa said it was noon, TDU would argue that it was midnight. Anything to undermine the leadership, even at the cost of the membership.

.... and, that is why

.... I am asking Apostolic - they are like dark shadows hanging around until everyone has more or less left the building - and they come in and feed on the leftovers. Leftovers are, after all, leftovers. I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with them just popping up all of a sudden making people think they are simply the best. Teamsters own that title (you know, Tina Turner's "Simply The Best").

I mean, get real - show us the stats, show us the bargainings you have won, show us the money you have gotten for your members TDU. I will give TDU and APWA their own song too if they want it, but I don't think they want anymore "second best" stuff.

This is UPSF's first contract, but you can bet your sweet bippy the next one is going to be a doooozzzyyy! Save your coins boys and girls!

Darkstar :smilie_132:

FYI, It sounds as if some of you think TDU is a Union that represents it's own members. They are not. They are a group of Teamsters who will do anything to get their hands on power. They pay dues to the Teamsters and also pay dues to their own inner organization within the Teamsters. You will at some point see their rag of a publication laying around called "The Convoy Dispatch". As stated before, they don't care about the membership (forcing the IBT to spend millions on an election that one of their members had no chance to win) they only care about dividing, throwing stuff out on the internet or in print that employers get ahold of and user against us all, and weakening our ranks. These people are within our ranks already barking and spewing. I can usually spot them a mile away because they are not happy with anything unless they are in control, then they can do no wrong.

Uh-Huh!!

FYI, It sounds as if some of you think TDU is a Union that represents it's own members. They are not. They are a group of Teamsters who will do anything to get their hands on power. They pay dues to the Teamsters and also pay dues to their own inner organization within the Teamsters. You will at some point see their rag of a publication laying around called "The Convoy Dispatch". As stated before, they don't care about the membership (forcing the IBT to spend millions on an election that one of their members had no chance to win) they only care about dividing, throwing stuff out on the internet or in print that employers get ahold of and user against us all, and weakening our ranks. These people are within our ranks already barking and spewing. I can usually spot them a mile away because they are not happy with anything unless they are in control, then they can do no wrong.

.... now this is what I'm talking about. From the way the TDU is presented, an outside person would think (and since I do not really know much about anything) the TDU does it all for you, from birthing the contract, diapering it's fanny, feeding it, burping it, then wrapping it all up in pretty paper, presenting it to it's proud members!!

Instead, it is a membership within the Teamster rank and file. That ought to tell everyone everything they ever needed to know about the facts! How about YOU "Overnite" - did you know this??

Now we get down to the real nitty gritty!

(I am having a very, very hard time controlling my hands, so I had better get off my soapbox before I find myself banned!!)

... instead of going on and on about "where has the TDU done anything wrong" same ole, same ole - :

1. What makes you think TDU is the best route for everyone to take?

2. Exactly can TDU do for you that the Teamsters cannot do?

3. Have they promised you a better contract?

4. Have they promised you will receive your sacred "supplements" the next day after you vote TDU?

5. Have they pomised you everything the Teamster drivers, workers have already, starting the first minute you vote the TDU in?

6. Just, what exactly, has you turned on to the TDU? Instead of trouncing the Teamsters, let's see what ya got! It is a sad fact of life, my friend, that NOTHING in life that is worthwhile is FREE!

Doesn't the TDU sit back while the Teamsters join in the fray, fight for your and every other member of UPSF worker's rights and dignity to do a day's work for fair wages, then TDU comes in and rides the Teamster's coat-tails?

Tell us Overnite - did Tom L. spend any of TDU's money on his fruitless campaigning - or is the finger pointing just for the Teamsters?? - and since we do not know for a fact the Teamsters spen "dues monies" for Hoffa's re-election, it is a "moot point". Show us the paperwork that proves that fact.

Show us what ya got Overnite - because there is a skunk in this woodpile, and it is not wearing a Teamster jacket!

And, speaking of that - when we went thru the first round of orgainization all those years ago, it was not the TDU out there in rain, sleet, snow, heat, fighting for your rights and dignity, it was not TDU out there helping "O" workers - it was THE TEAMSTERS, Overnite, it was the Teamsters. And, I know that is a fact jack, because I was at work nearly everyday, I saw them nearly everyday. They wore Teamster jackets, they walked the walk, they talked the talk.

Again, what can the TDU do for you?

Don't try to flimflam your way out of this one Overnite - you started the thread - let us see what ya got!

Darkstar

I never said the TDU was good, better, bad or worse all I have said is I have mentioned them and a few people said they are evil and not to listen to them. I am asking what bad they have done. Where did I ever say they were good? Where have I trounced anyone? I don't have a clue of what you are posting 99% of it I never said, implied, thought, dreamed or even have a clue of where you are coming from. Maybe you should go back and read my posts you are putting words in my mouth and obviousily don't understand them.

To run an election that is done by mail, to allow each nominee the opportunity to get their message out to the membership costs money. There are all kinds of ways the general election costs money. ALL of the campaign money must come from donations and the likes but to run an election costs money.

The bottom line is that some of the views and issues raised by TDU (NOT THE TDU) are valid. The problem is that in reality they are not there about those concerns. They are there to divide and get control of the IBT. The head of TDU isn't even a Teamster, never has been and never will be.

TDU = :BS:

Don't back peddle, you said the TDU made the IBT waste millions, I didn't ask if an election cost money, I asked how the TDU made the IBT waste millions as you claim. If you think a person running against another in an election is wasting money then why have elections?

Yes, Darkstar I know the TDU are a group inside of the teamsters. It is like republicans and democrats.

Nope, nope, nope ......

Don't back peddle, you said the TDU made the IBT waste millions, I didn't ask if an election cost money, I asked how the TDU made the IBT waste millions as you claim. If you think a person running against another in an election is wasting money then why have elections?

Yes, Darkstar I know the TDU are a group inside of the teamsters. It is like republicans and democrats.

I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, never pretended to be. 99.5% of the drivers, office workers, etc do not have the time to go dumpster diving for the information they need, so they rely on what they can.

That being said, this whole situation came about due to you asking the question "TDU good or bad" - you did not bother to put the case before the group (i.e: The TDU are a group within the Teamster rank and file that are dissatisfied with the leadership, their policies, general business practices, so they have formed their own group to meddle, poke around. They pay dues to the "leader" of this group and also pay Teamster dues (( so here is the rub - why not form their own union, elect their own leader, quit paying double dues - unless they are afraid to. Afraid their Teamster side of benefits such as good insurance, pension, etc would be lost forever )), then all they do is cause division wherever they can, and Good Grief Charlie Brown, if you aren't smart enough to know they are not a legitimate full fledged stand alone union, then you deserve to be left out in the cold with your (you know what) hanging out.

And, you shoot yourself in the foot when you refer to the republicans and democrats - they are stand alone parties, DO NOT "reside" within one another. Separate groups completely, never united (even for the good of the country) and as "no-nignity Bush" is fond of saying "You are either with us, or against us".

And that, my friend, fits this situation like a handmade glove - either you are a full time Teamster, taking care of Teamster business, or you are an outsider pretending to be a Teamster. There is no in-between Teamsters, Overnite. If Orlando wants to decert from the Teamsters, so be it. Be prepared to take the consequences of that action. Do you really believe it will be "O" business as usual after Orlando decerts? There is no going back into fantsyland - those were the days, but they are long gone. Long gone from the day "O" was sold to UPRR. From that day, "Overnite" - there is a new kid on the block called UPSFreight, and it will rule.

If these malcontents TDU "members" as so dissatisfied with the IBT leadership, then be man/woman enough to step up, resign the membership, take your chances of survival without Teamsters to back you up, form your own union, get on with living.

No one except UPS owns UPSF - they will do what they darn well please with it, either get with how they want to run their truckline or retire, find another trucking job (good luck with that one). The old hard liners can either make the best out of what they perceive as a bad situation, or ruin the rest of their employment being bitter over something they had no control over. TDU is not a savior of the masses "Overnite" - is a wolf in sheep's clothing, existing for one reason and one reason alone. If anyone thinks anything different, then they join me in the "not the sharpest knife in the drawer" category.

Darkstar

Differences of Opinion

So......how do you propose opposition or differences of opinion get expressed in our union? How do members express their democratic right of free speech and the right to assemble? Don't we have a right to that in our union? That's why many members decide to sign up with TDU (Teamsters for a Democratic Union). To organize to make a difference in the union.

It seems like that happens beyond TDU and should. Every time members get together to talk among themselves about issues in the union OR, more importantly, when they decide to run against their current officers or the national officers in Washington. They form a slate and gather their supporters together to try to vote in their ideas and plans. That seems like democracy. Is the union some special case?

I've found over 30-plus years that working Teamsters are pretty sharp and can figure out whether or not TDU plays a good or bad role in our union. Many of us have the right to disagree on our anwwer to the Overnite question posed earlier in this thread. UPS Freight Teamsters will decide for themselves. They know their issues and whether TDU is of use of not.

Apples and Oranges .....

So......how do you propose opposition or differences of opinion get expressed in our union? How do members express their democratic right of free speech and the right to assemble? Don't we have a right to that in our union? That's why many members decide to sign up with TDU (Teamsters for a Democratic Union). To organize to make a difference in the union.

It seems like that happens beyond TDU and should. Every time members get together to talk among themselves about issues in the union OR, more importantly, when they decide to run against their current officers or the national officers in Washington. They form a slate and gather their supporters together to try to vote in their ideas and plans. That seems like democracy. Is the union some special case?

I've found over 30-plus years that working Teamsters are pretty sharp and can figure out whether or not TDU plays a good or bad role in our union. Many of us have the right to disagree on our answer to the Overnite question posed earlier in this thread. UPS Freight Teamsters will decide for themselves. They know their issues and whether TDU is of use of not.

TDU is free to do what they want. Only, do it in the light of day.

... but one question - has the TDU played a part in the division of the rank and file members of UPSFreight concerning decertification's? All of a sudden, here "Overnite" comes, on the heels of siding with the Orlando drive to decert, (using the "suppliments" as an excuse) asking about TDU. So that points to an early effort to infiltrate the unionization and cause problems.

These guys are fighting for their future here, they cannot be distracted by someone coming in and promising them the "pie in the sky" if they join the malcontent ranks of a "union within a union" - a "union" I might add, that does not bother to come out in the public open and state their objectives right up front.

Either you are a pure bred Teamster or you are not. Simple as that. You cannot have it both ways, get out and form your own union, tell everyone why they are doomed to stay with the IBT. Either you have the members, can stand on your own two feet, or you can't. Simple as that. Either you have the masses in your back pockets, can make a united union, or you can keep riding the coat-tails of the IBT, keep paying dues to a union you do not believe in.

Petition the Admins to give you your own place to post the pros and cons of your "union", come out in the open, or don't get pizzed when the truth comes out. Eventually it will, you know.

Kinda strange you pop up here to support "Overnite" all by yourself. Exactly what is your position with the TDU?? Enquiring minds want to know what your stake is in this fight.

Where, oh where, is the infamous "ONTeamster",
where, oh where has he gone??

We are done here. :smilie_132:

Darkstar

I know I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, never pretended to be. 99.5% of the drivers, office workers, etc do not have the time to go dumpster diving for the information they need, so they rely on what they can.

That being said, this whole situation came about due to you asking the question "TDU good or bad" - you did not bother to put the case before the group (i.e: The TDU are a group within the Teamster rank and file that are dissatisfied with the leadership, their policies, general business practices, so they have formed their own group to meddle, poke around. They pay dues to the "leader" of this group and also pay Teamster dues (( so here is the rub - why not form their own union, elect their own leader, quit paying double dues - unless they are afraid to. Afraid their Teamster side of benefits such as good insurance, pension, etc would be lost forever )), then all they do is cause division wherever they can, and Good Grief Charlie Brown, if you aren't smart enough to know they are not a legitimate full fledged stand alone union, then you deserve to be left out in the cold with your (you know what) hanging out.

And, you shoot yourself in the foot when you refer to the republicans and democrats - they are stand alone parties, DO NOT "reside" within one another. Separate groups completely, never united (even for the good of the country) and as "no-nignity Bush" is fond of saying "You are either with us, or against us".

And that, my friend, fits this situation like a handmade glove - either you are a full time Teamster, taking care of Teamster business, or you are an outsider pretending to be a Teamster. There is no in-between Teamsters, Overnite. If Orlando wants to decert from the Teamsters, so be it. Be prepared to take the consequences of that action. Do you really believe it will be "O" business as usual after Orlando decerts? There is no going back into fantsyland - those were the days, but they are long gone. Long gone from the day "O" was sold to UPRR. From that day, "Overnite" - there is a new kid on the block called UPSFreight, and it will rule.

If these malcontents TDU "members" as so dissatisfied with the IBT leadership, then be man/woman enough to step up, resign the membership, take your chances of survival without Teamsters to back you up, form your own union, get on with living.

No one except UPS owns UPSF - they will do what they darn well please with it, either get with how they want to run their truckline or retire, find another trucking job (good luck with that one). The old hard liners can either make the best out of what they perceive as a bad situation, or ruin the rest of their employment being bitter over something they had no control over. TDU is not a savior of the masses "Overnite" - is a wolf in sheep's clothing, existing for one reason and one reason alone. If anyone thinks anything different, then they join me in the "not the sharpest knife in the drawer" category.

Darkstar

Well I see a double standard in what your saying.

How can you say the rank and file are wrong for wanting change in there union and wanting a voice in it or a vote in the way things are run. You say they should just quit and go start there own union.

Thats funny the very people that were fighting to be teamsters becuase they wanted fair treatment and a say in the way things are done in there jobs can't have a say in the union, or they can't even have a vote for there officials. If they don't like the way things are being run in the teamsters then go find a new union.

That is the complete opposite attitude I would expect from a teamster, what happened to fight for your voice to be heard and fight for fair and equal treatment. Are they suppose to only expect this out of there employer and not the teamsters?

What case do you want me to present? I asked a question "good or bad" You came to this thread with the preconceived notions that I am pushing the TDU.

So far all you have said bad about the TDU is they forced an election. I think an election is a good thing that is a fair way to do things not just appoint people.

"no-nignity Bush" is fond of saying "You are either with us, or against us". And that is exactly what you are saying in your post.

I will post a response to you Orlando statement in that thread.

TDU is free to do what they want. Only, do it in the light of day.

... but one question - has the TDU played a part in the division of the rank and file members of UPSFreight concerning decertification's? All of a sudden, here "Overnite" comes, on the heels of siding with the Orlando drive to decert, (using the "suppliments" as an excuse) asking about TDU. So that points to an early effort to infiltrate the unionization and cause problems.

These guys are fighting for their future here, they cannot be distracted by someone coming in and promising them the "pie in the sky" if they join the malcontent ranks of a "union within a union" - a "union" I might add, that does not bother to come out in the public open and state their objectives right up front.

Either you are a pure bred Teamster or you are not. Simple as that. You cannot have it both ways, get out and form your own union, tell everyone why they are doomed to stay with the IBT. Either you have the members, can stand on your own two feet, or you can't. Simple as that. Either you have the masses in your back pockets, can make a united union, or you can keep riding the coat-tails of the IBT, keep paying dues to a union you do not believe in.

Petition the Admins to give you your own place to post the pros and cons of your "union", come out in the open, or don't get pizzed when the truth comes out. Eventually it will, you know.

Kinda strange you pop up here to support "Overnite" all by yourself. Exactly what is your position with the TDU?? Enquiring minds want to know what your stake is in this fight.

Where, oh where, is the infamous "ONTeamster",
where, oh where has he gone??

We are done here. :smilie_132:

Darkstar

What are you talking about? You have gone off the deep end, the last 2 posts you made here have 0 facts in them, your making this stuff up. There is noone here supporting the TDU. You should stop listening to that conspiracy radio show that comes on at midnight.

What's My Connection with TDU

Dark Star,

Enquiring minds wonder......

I was a card carrying Teamster in Local 299 from 1994-2003. I lost my job in 2003 after off and on layoffs at the subcontractor that had the Emery/Menlo contract in Detroit. The 19 Teamsters left voted not to take any more concessions for the subcontractor. A non-union company took over the work.

I paid dues for another six months but had to take a withdrawl card under the IBT constitution when I couldn't get work. I've worked for TDU since then. I've been a member of TDU almost as long as I've been a Teamster. I'm dedicated to an active, informed and involved membership and that's how I conducted myself in Local 299. That's why I was on the Overnite strike line many days and nights back in the day.

I've been an organizer for TDU full time since 2004. I welcome all the new UPS Freight brothers and sisters in to our union and look forward to assisting them in making our union stronger and more democratic.

I don't know "Overnite" or his history at UPSF but I hope to hear from him and other UPSF Teamsters if they have any questions about TDU (Teamsters for a Democratic Union) and what they can do to make the IBT their union.

Not at all, not at all......

What are you talking about? You have gone off the deep end, the last 2 posts you made here have 0 facts in them, your making this stuff up. There is noone here supporting the TDU. You should stop listening to that conspiracy radio show that comes on at midnight.

.... and the "deep end/conspiracy theory" someone always resorts to when they look for a quick way out.

Facts? The facts are in the answers made to the posts before:

The TDU is not a viable union in and of itself. It is a group that exists within the Teamsters, reaping benefits from the Teamsters, while keeping agitation stirred.
The TDU comes in after the fact, they do not start an orginazation drive, the TrueBlue Teamsters do that.
Etc, etc, etc ..... that that was know to "certain" people, wasn't it? Is it such a "common knowledge" as purported to be?

Good luck there "Overnite" , truly.

Darkstar

Yeah, and donkey fly .....

Dark Star,

Enquiring minds wonder......

I was a card carrying Teamster in Local 299 from 1994-2003. I lost my job in 2003 after off and on layoffs at the subcontractor that had the Emery/Menlo contract in Detroit. The 19 Teamsters left voted not to take any more concessions for the subcontractor. A non-union company took over the work.

I paid dues for another six months but had to take a withdrawl card under the IBT constitution when I couldn't get work. I've worked for TDU since then. I've been a member of TDU almost as long as I've been a Teamster. I'm dedicated to an active, informed and involved membership and that's how I conducted myself in Local 299. That's why I was on the Overnite strike line many days and nights back in the day.

I've been an organizer for TDU full time since 2004. I welcome all the new UPS Freight brothers and sisters in to our union and look forward to assisting them in making our union stronger and more democratic.

I don't know "Overnite" or his history at UPSF but I hope to hear from him and other UPSF Teamsters if they have any questions about TDU (Teamsters for a Democratic Union) and what they can do to make the IBT their union.

.... my friend, donkeys (and some say pigs) fly.

Hey Jeff, SmokeStack - can we get some flying pigs and flying donkey smilies? We're gonna need them! :biglaugh:

Darkstar

.... and the "deep end/conspiracy theory" someone always resorts to when they look for a quick way out.

Facts? The facts are in the answers made to the posts before:

The TDU is not a viable union in and of itself. It is a group that exists within the Teamsters, reaping benefits from the Teamsters, while keeping agitation stirred.
The TDU comes in after the fact, they do not start an orginazation drive, the TrueBlue Teamsters do that.
Etc, etc, etc ..... that that was know to "certain" people, wasn't it? Is it such a "common knowledge" as purported to be?

Good luck there "Overnite" , truly.

Darkstar

Your repeating the same stuff as you did in your other posts, noone said The tdu was a union, what agitation are they stirring?

Darkstar, you seem knowledgable, care to answer these questions.

1. What the Jackie Presser freight “relief rider" was.

2. Where the right for teamsters to vote on national officials came from?

3. Who helped the kroger workers get there pension when the IBT told them nothing could be done About it?

4. In 1988 when the department of justice slapped the IBT with a RICO suit, why would the TDU help the IBT get the case settled if there just a bunch of agitators?

5. How many lawsuits the TDU has filed or backed to get teamsters there pensions from the central states pension fund?

You are a master at sh!t slinging aren't you? Fishing for sympathizers of the TDU? Trying to decipher who is old guard or not. Always driving that wedge. Why can't you relax and let this thing play out? Half of the posters weren't even aware of the TDU until you brought it up. We don't need division right now. We need unity. Two weeks into this and you are promoting anarchy. Shame. Shame on the mess. Teamster Elvis out.... Ps. Overnite, whether you are aware of it or not, business agents, across this country, are busting their a$$es trying to make this a smooth transition. Fielding phone calls day and night from angry, confused Upsf employees. I commend their efforts at addressing their new members concerns. Bartender I'd like to buy a round for all the Teamster officials from the Atlantic to the Pacific, who are fighting for all of our futures. That is what I would like to hear you say sometime Overnite. And when they have smoothed us out, let's get Fed Ex next. That's got a ring to it doesn't it? Fed Ex Freight in 08' !! I like it. See Ya.....

My two cents on the matter for what it's worth. When we was Overnite the one's that wanted the union we always told them if you don't like Overnite go find another job.
Well, We are union now. If you don't like the union go find another job. You see how real easy all this really is.:1036316054: