ABF | The Day After the contract vote fails!

nothumbleenough

TB Lurker
Credits
As a guy who worked for almost a year in these boards advocating for some sort of relief for ABF considering the load they have been covering on the pension by paying many millions of dollars for teamsters who never worked at ABF deserved them some sort of goodwill.
Well, not so much goodwill granted them by the negotiating committee did on the TA. The black hole of 6% subcontracting, the loss of one weeks vacation and 7% decrease in pay are hard to stomach. I can't see this passing considering pretty much every angle has a poison pill.

Seems logical we pressure Hoffa right now for an all ABF negotiating committee to roll out on the day after the vote fails. No strike authorization vote as a measure of good faith and smart tactics. But real rank and file folks from both the road and city to bring this agreement home. I have on pretty good authority there is no plan B with the International if and when the vote fails.

Ideas for this rank and file committee would be welcome. Please contribute with your thoughts and ideas.

Do you guys understand loosing 6% of your work plus going from 75% of a lane to 60% of a lane.

Only 60% of the lane nation wide Southern conformance will loose 15% of all bids!!!!!

Turn bids only get to bid on start times not where you turn!!!!

No more bids on unbalanced lanes

This is in southern supplemental

Linehaul to vote yes on this is *******!!!

When the vote fails, you will vote again, and maybe again, then you will be sold....this deal is done, stick a fork in it!

I vote for Docker from the dock, Muler from the city, and last but no least Papajohn.

The men you recommend are on record that any concession is unacceptable. Let us get a couple of facts straight this very second. #1 The company has lost 200 million the last 5 years. You can't change history. Going forward, some sort of H-o-p-e has to be given to those making the decisions at Corporate. If there is none, turn out the lights the party is over. They will use the tools available to them to chart a different course that doesn't involve Teamsters. Pensions will fail, men become unemployed and families will suffer. The job market for a former union truck driver isn't very good. Hate to blow anyone's ego away, but this is a reality.

#2 The men not interested in any concession are now making the argument they want what is fair? Ignore them, they are looking at this problem subjectively, not objectively. Real problems are in play and it relates directly to ABF no longer being profitable in the LTL industry. Ask them what they are willing to give up, and the conversation will run dry. They have come to these threads with one agenda, and that is to reject any offer. If you doubt my point, ask them what they are willing to concede to a company that has been unprofitable for over 5 years. You better suck up some of that pride and realize if you want a job something significant must change.

Thanks Truxforer, I agree with you about Muler and Docker, I think they would make excellent negotiators.

Excellent negotiators find common ground...I don't perceive you guys compromising on anything....but you believe ABF must do something to remain competitive? Anyway, the players are who they are, they have struck a deal, there will be no strike, wildcat or otherwise, and they have an optional buyer lined up......it's nothing personal, it's just business

Thanks Truxforer, I agree with you about Muler and Docker, I think they would make excellent negotiators.

Yeah, that's who you guys need. A couple of overly aggressive "my way or the highway" negotiators. I seem to recall them BOTH abusing and demeaning members HERE. I can only imagine what sort of labor negotiators they would be.
Then when the going got tough, BOTH resigned their memberships. That was an insight into character.
I don't think that some of you ABF teamsters can count. The current TA is the result of a previous negotiation. You folks remember the "beg back"? IMO neither ABF or the Teamsters have a fall back position. I wish you the best, but you're not going to like it over here at YRCF!

I vote for Docker from the dock, Muler from the city, and last but no least Papajohn.

The men you recommend are on record that any concession is unacceptable. Let us get a couple of facts straight this very second. #1 The company has lost 200 million the last 5 years. You can't change history. Going forward, some sort of H-o-p-e has to be given to those making the decisions at Corporate. If there is none, turn out the lights the party is over. They will use the tools available to them to chart a different course that doesn't involve Teamsters. Pensions will fail, men become unemployed and families will suffer. The job market for a former union truck driver isn't very good. Hate to blow anyone's ego away, but this is a reality.

#2 The men not interested in any concession are now making the argument they want what is fair? Ignore them, they are looking at this problem subjectively, not objectively. Real problems are in play and it relates directly to ABF no longer being profitable in the LTL industry. Ask them what they are willing to give up, and the conversation will run dry. They have come to these threads with one agenda, and that is to reject any offer. If you doubt my point, ask them what they are willing to concede to a company that has been unprofitable for over 5 years. You better suck up some of that pride and realize if you want a job something significant must change.

#1 Many are not 100% convinced on how much money has been lost; a private firm should look at the books. We have never seen the books; we have just taken it as word. Going forward as you say, can and will do the same as you have just described if this contract is passed or not. If a bad contract is passed what exactly do you think will happen to the Pension Funds? I understand that ABF is only going to pay for ABF Members, but we are still in the same group as every other teamster that has retired. What do you think will happen to the pension funds? I like the idea of ABF only taking care of ABF members, but not in this current form. If it was going to happen then, then all pension plans should combine, or we should be put in the new Hybrid Pension Plan, or pull out of the pension plans altogether, and do what UPS has done with their employees.
In a worst case scenario(I don’t think this will happen), ABF does as you say, and Pensions do fail, men and women become unemployed what do you think will happen to the Freight, somebody has to move the freight we are moving now. They will not be able to do it with their workforce. This means they are going to have to hire. If this passes in current form members will be losing their jobs anyway. Proposed work rules will affect every single teamster in some form, and the company will use each one of these supplements to their benefit.
#2 This is negotiations, If I WAS willing to give any concessions, I am not going to put it on here what I am or am not willing to give up. That would be for a later date. The IBT has done a terrible Job with both ABF and UPS/UPS FREIGHT contracts. We need a team that will be looking out for our best interest….
I will say the IBT has made sure this TA has affected every one of us in some form. Makes you wonder if this is by design. They sure are trying to push this thru, but they will not be surprised if this contract doesn’t pass.

What Happens Now Will Affect Every One Of Us In The Very Near Future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND THAT IS REALITY

Excellent negotiators find common ground...I don't perceive you guys compromising on anything....but you believe ABF must do something to remain competitive? Anyway, the players are who they are, they have struck a deal, there will be no strike, wildcat or otherwise, and they have an optional buyer lined up......it's nothing personal, it's just business

Hay I had a guy tell me the exact same thing you are saying last night. We vote it down yellow steps it. The problem is I loose my job even if I vote yes. Panther is gonna get all my freight ill get no work. It's just choosing how u want to die.

What you don't like Muler and Docker?

What's Wrong albag, can't you answer the question?

I like to know what your interest here is anyway, are do you just liking being a troll, or do you just like to visit other company threads and start trouble.

Please tell me why do you not like Muler and Docker, I really like to know

Last edited by a moderator:
Hay I had a guy tell me the exact same thing you are saying last night. We vote it down yellow steps it. The problem is I loose my job even if I vote yes. Panther is gonna get all my freight ill get no work. It's just choosing how u want to die.

Are you guys not running out of hours every week now? They are going to supplement the existing relay operation. Older hands will be retiring. You will move up. And how many times have you heard contractors with any company talking at the truck stop, "Man them company drivers, they got it made! They give us all the weekend, holiday, BS runs.....that's because the company drivers do have it made! You guys need to understand that YRCW is in union busting mode, and this is ABF's last stand.