XPO | The Problems

Sorry, I'll try harder...

yrc_07_sml.jpg

Hmmm, don't see any of ours on there....yet.
That too is limited by contract.....I guess you don't remember CW Deferred service? We had it, maybe it just wasn't profitable enough cause that's what is the most important.

Sorry, I'll try harder...

yrc_07_sml.jpg

Hmmm, don't see any of ours on there....yet.

Ya they use rail on inbalanced lanes with loads going west and railing empties back. We may not like it but it's good business. It's the PTS trucks running loads both ways between Break bulks that's pissing the road men off.

As a 19 year dsr at Conway I'm asking seriously what are the issues that folks have here that a union will solve? My gripes are the over use of subservice haulers, I don't agree with Lean, I don't believe in the Optimizer, and the last raise was an insult. The union might address two of the four of my issues. What are yours? Don't use broad brushstrokes like "This company sucks," or "They're screwin' me." Not trying to be for or against, just trying to comprehend. Press on
Having so much smoke blown up your back side that your undies get stained, Oh yea I know what your gonna say and its not that!****:LMAO::fingure::smilies-19296:

I love how people complain about cameras. There are 2 instances in Fort Worth over the past month that not only saved 2 drivers their jobs but probably paid for the cameras company wide with the savings in court/legal fees and/or a settlement.
Both involved passenger vehicles running red lights and getting hit by a con way Dsr. One resulted in a death. Immediately the Dsr was exonerated due to the video and back on the job next day.
Keep evolving or die. Cameras are here to stay and if you do what you are supposed to they may save you someday if something like this occurs.

That's the main difference between union trucking and non - its much tougher for them to bully you. We all know there is a lot of threats and intimidation tactics used in this biz. Hell, there are a million ways for a pissed off dispatcher/ TM to screw with your life just because of the "variable" nature of our work. Change your start time, your run, your truck etc...

That's the main difference between union trucking and non - its much tougher for them to bully you. We all know there is a lot of threats and intimidation tactics used in this biz. Hell, there are a million ways for a pissed off dispatcher/ TM to screw with your life just because of the "variable" nature of our work. Change your start time, your run, your truck etc...[/QUOTE

People are only bullied because they let themselves be pushed around.
there are ways to fight back but the first step is being a man and willing to stand up.

I love how people complain about cameras. There are 2 instances in Fort Worth over the past month that not only saved 2 drivers their jobs but probably paid for the cameras company wide with the savings in court/legal fees and/or a settlement.
Both involved passenger vehicles running red lights and getting hit by a con way Dsr. One resulted in a death. Immediately the Dsr was exonerated due to the video and back on the job next day.
Keep evolving or die. Cameras are here to stay and if you do what you are supposed to they may save you someday if something like this occurs.

I'm sure the cameras have been a good thing in a couple of instances. That being said, I don't like the way they are using them to "coach" the drivers. They act like the world is going to come to an end because a driver is 3 seconds behind a car instead of 4. I have been operating a CMV for 35 years and have never been involved in a CMV accident. Then they have a "coach", and I use that term loosely, that has had a CDL for less than 3 years and has rolled a set during that time, try to lecture me? Hell I've driven more miles in reverse than that snot nosed, Gluteus Maximus kissing punk has driven forward. Soon they will be writing people up for these indiscretions, then running the drivers off when they receive so many LOI's for their driving "habits". 12 seconds of video and they think this is the way you drive for 10 hours a day. The damn camera never catches the good stuff. just like our personnel files, only bad stuff gets saved, not the good.

Off topic-

More than once in a group meeting our RM has told us Con-way is THE ONLY company that offers a retirement. Really.

He informed us there is NO PLAN to reinstate the company match of the 401k ( after 2 quarters in a row of a below 95 OR )
Said this was said by previous president so it doesn't count

He said he's happy with his healthcare coverage so you should be too.

Unless there are people in management that "get it" , it will get worse before it gets better.

Dust off your resumes and pay off your bills and keep your CDLs clean. Have a Plan B.
You guys do understand the you don't have to contribute to the 401k to get money ..dont you? they give it to us depending on how long you've worked here.. they give us money every week without a contribution from us. Not many do that. I get 4% every week (every qtr. actually) with no contribution from me. Not many do that. That is good. So no the match probably wont return.

I like the camera for that reason..but the insecure "tough" guys will always hate them...

I'm sure the cameras have been a good thing in a couple of instances. That being said, I don't like the way they are using them to "coach" the drivers. They act like the world is going to come to an end because a driver is 3 seconds behind a car instead of 4. I have been operating a CMV for 35 years and have never been involved in a CMV accident. Then they have a "coach", and I use that term loosely, that has had a CDL for less than 3 years and has rolled a set during that time, try to lecture me? Hell I've driven more miles in reverse than that snot nosed, Gluteus Maximus kissing punk has driven forward. Soon they will be writing people up for these indiscretions, then running the drivers off when they receive so many LOI's for their driving "habits". 12 seconds of video and they think this is the way you drive for 10 hours a day. The damn camera never catches the good stuff. just like our personnel files, only bad stuff gets saved, not the good.

Your right, they never should've started "coaching" people..should've started with good stuff..they sold it the wrong way..that's for sure.

Thanks your the bestest cxx driver..... Now give me the % pulled by non Conway enployees?

Just looking at the arrivals screen for a particular SC, I'd say about 20%. I'm sure lower in some places, but probably higher on the west coast. (freight running to and from west coast, not particularly west coast proper). there is not a lot of stuff between TX and CA.

I think it is funny they spend all that money and the OBR's and the cameras. 1/2 of the OBR's at our terminal don't even work. Now they are going to buy new OBR's to put into the trucks. What's that going to cost them. Maybe if they were to buy the right equipment in the first place they wouldn't have to spend twice the money. I am not against having the cameras. What I am against is having it pointed at me. In my opinion that is against the 4th ammendment. Oh, I forgot, Bush and Ovomit took away the Bill Of Rights from the Constitution.

I really couldn't care less about the in cab camera pointing at me. What I don't like is the company administering progressive discipline from video clips collected by the camera. A clause in a contract could be drafted to say that the cameras can stay, but the company shall not discipline a driver for anything that happens in cab, other than obviously destructive stuff. That would mean that while we are driving, we can do the following things with impunity. We can put a cell phone to our ear, look at our handheld device, eat, and leave our seatbelt off. I also do not like that we cannot have access to a printed employee handbook which details what we can be dispilined for and how that discipline will be administered. All that being said, I don't think these things will be high enough on the priority list when it comes to contract negotiations and the stuff that we would get in a contract, would IMO, place an uneceassary financial burden on the company and cause it to ultimately become less competitive. One of the things I have come to enjoy about working for Con-way is the feeling of security I get, knowing that we are cash rich company that can easily compete with union LTLs. At this time, if it comes to my barn, I'm still a "NO" vote.