Yellow | The Senior guys don't love us

you got it mud cat i got 8hrs lay over 3 weeks in a row. so i only run 2trips hogs still run 3 PS we laid 5 off

Ok buddy, knock off the making fun of the author of, "The Happy Hooker" on the ny times best seller list!!!:biglaugh:

PS: I'm waiting for KK to chime in about his days of chain drives and solid rubber tires!
Heard rumor too that he has an autographed copy of said book in his home safe!

Chain drives?....the only chains I worked with was when I was a stable boy at the Teamster barn, and they were used to chain down a load on the wagons so the kegs would not fall off.....the old timers would not do it as it was very dangerous....stable boys were a penny a dozen back then....a good team driver was hard to come by.....KK

I worked with guys who drove solid rubber tires and chain drives. They would have to oil the chain as they went down the road. They were great drivers, they could back up doubles. Rear boxes were pull trailers when they started, so they learned to back it in rather then break it and push it in with the front of the tractor. They considered it bad form to use chains and binders. When I started I got on the wrong side of the TM and was assigned tractor #1 "The Grey Ghost", a COE Peterbilt, to punish me. It had a brownie transmission, which is a twin stick 4 and 4, if you screwed up you had to pound on the linkage to free it up. Anyway, the joke was on the TM because I loved driving that tractor, it was a great horse, I drove it till I left to go to work for Roadway. The name of my first tractor at Roadway was "Rusty". The floor mat blocked a view of the road. When I was pulling doubles with Rusty, I was on the Road and in the Way.
I can relate to a lot of your post. The 1st "big truck" I ever drove was a 1957 Ford Cabover "Crackerbox" sleeper with my brother-in-law between So. Minn. and St Louis hauling Budweiser from the brewery to various distributors. It also was a "twin stick 4x4" with 318 Detroit. Didn't look so good, but it sure ran!! I was 22 yrs. old, fresh out of the Navy. I took as much time off from my machinist job to help out (no pay) running 2 man just to get some experience. That led to a teamster job in 1972 with All-American Transport, running team with my some times partner "Grey Ghost", an old timer in his sixties. We pulled doubles in cab-over team trucks, when 1st made legal in Mn. around 1973, and about 11 yrs. later through Wis. when made legal there. Those were the "good days" even though trying to sleep in rough riding short wheel base cab-overs was no picnic. The "Grey Ghost" I once knew is long gone now, as is my brother-in-law, but your post brought back a lot of memories. Too bad those days of mutual respect are gone. Thanks for the trip back in time.

Chain drives?....the only chains I worked with was when I was a stable boy at the Teamster barn, and they were used to chain down a load on the wagons so the kegs would not fall off.....the old timers would not do it as it was very dangerous....stable boys were a penny a dozen back then....a good team driver was hard to come by.....KK
I can also remember when Briggs Trasportation used their version of a "twin screw", a tandem axle tractor, front axle power, rear axle tag with a large rubber belt stretched between the two to power the rear tag.

The bottom line is there is no brotherhood in the teamsters it is an embarrassment what some of the senior guys are doing with working overtime. I hope they keep working it that means their not at home and jodi is coming in the back door when they leave....LOL

Greed has no boundries. There was a time when senior "men"(today its senior mee-sters, majority anyways)would band together to make sure that the most amount of fellow members would get their time in.
Today they'd flush you down the toilet and let you lose your home so as not to drive their 3 year old pickup truck 1 extra month!
Our throwaway society unfortunately now includes our "union" brothers.
The onion of today should enforce through stern measures that the 10 hour work rule is strickly enforced until things get better and not just for senior employees.
A butt kisser is a tough cookie to crumble sometimes but it most certainly can be done.

Sorry to agree that this is happening. Some of the road drivers at 402 feel that GREED is there rite. They don't log there delay time while waiting to be dispatched just so they can complete there run and get back on the board to run again the next day. If they were real teamsters they would log there trips as the law requires and be out of hours by the fifth or sixth day and junior men would not be getting laid off. It must be something in the south east because when I was in New Jersey (10 years) and Texas (11 years) the senoir drivers would look out for the junior driver by taking time off so they would not have long layoffs. I log my trips legal but get heat from dispatch for going to bed enroute when I run out of hours. If all the 402 road drivers did this the company would not look at the few that run legal as trouble makers. Its a shame when the members forget that we are a brotherhood, and we should always look out for our fellow workers.

Sorry to agree that this is happening. Some of the road drivers at 402 feel that GREED is there rite. They don't log there delay time while waiting to be dispatched just so they can complete there run and get back on the board to run again the next day. If they were real teamsters they would log there trips as the law requires and be out of hours by the fifth or sixth day and junior men would not be getting laid off. It must be something in the south east because when I was in New Jersey (10 years) and Texas (11 years) the senoir drivers would look out for the junior driver by taking time off so they would not have long layoffs. I log my trips legal but get heat from dispatch for going to bed enroute when I run out of hours. If all the 402 road drivers did this the company would not look at the few that run legal as trouble makers. Its a shame when the members forget that we are a brotherhood, and we should always look out for our fellow workers.
VERY GOOD POST, I could not agree with you more. It used to be that way (taking care of the junior guys) in the upper midwest, too. For the most part, anyhow. There always seems to be 1 or 2 who think greed is their "right" and don't mind stepping on others to fatten their wallets. One can only hope "what goes around, comes around" and they will get the same treatment sometime. The Teamsters of today, for the most part, just don't get it. The organization is divided now, no comraderie any more, and headed for the toilet. I'm afraid it is too late to turn things around. Blame the members. For the me-me-me attitude now. For not being involved in chosing good BA's and leadership. For forgetting what the "BROTHERHOOD" part of the Teamster logo means. Blame the stewards and the BA's for not constantly reminding members (both new and long-time) what that term is supposed to mean.

Did you ever think that these senior men were in your junior shoes at some point in time.
They just sucked it up and now its their turn.
Your time will come....

Did you ever think that these senior men were in your junior shoes at some point in time.
They just sucked it up and now its their turn.
Your time will come....
Your time will come.....................................For what? To let greed rule again, and do to somone else what you hated when it was happening to you? So it continues. The decline of the "brotherhood" keeps on it's downward path, showing no sign of slowing down. We are our own worst enemies.

I did not hate it, I understood the word seniority.
The decline of the " Brotherhood " is due to the younger me me me and their lack of involvement in THEIR UNION. Add in the poor turn out for the recent elections
Your time will come.....................................For what? To let greed rule again, and do to somone else what you hated when it was happening to you? So it continues. The decline of the "brotherhood" keeps on it's downward path, showing no sign of slowing down. We are our own worst enemies.

What's the point with this thread?seniority is what it is.
It's called "taking care of the other guy". Repaying a kindness. Paying it forward. Didn't you have some others giving you a hand or advice or maybe dropping a trip to help you out when YOU were on the bottom of the totem pole? If you were or are working out of the Chicago barn, probably not, so I can understand why the idea is foreign to you. That is one place where it's all "dog eat dog". It's not like that everywhere.

I did not hate it, I understood the word seniority.
The decline of the " Brotherhood " is due to the younger me me me and their lack of involvement in THEIR UNION. Add in the poor turn out for the recent elections
I do agree with most of what you say, but it is not just the younger ones. They just do what they see others doing. A hand up is remembered, so is a slap down.

Seniority is fine, everyone agrees with that, its the abuse of it that pi$$es people off and when I would see some of these senior guys whip it out of a holster on their hip like a gun just to screw a junior guy I'd always tell them what a dick they were being.
Use it for what its there for, bids, vacations, new equipment(that one is actually a courtesy), but just to mess with a junior guy because you can!!!
Thats not what "union" is about!
But I guess we lost that quite some time ago!

I read in, "wild bill zollars" autobiography that when he first met you, you were shoveling horsepies at the stable!

I'm guessing that in your present job, that experience has come in pretty handy! The shoveling part I mean!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

It's called "taking care of the other guy". Repaying a kindness. Paying it forward. Didn't you have some others giving you a hand or advice or maybe dropping a trip to help you out when YOU were on the bottom of the totem pole? If you were or are working out of the Chicago barn, probably not, so I can understand why the idea is foreign to you. That is one place where it's all "dog eat dog". It's not like that everywhere.
Taking care of the younger guy? Paying it forward? I once took a day off so the next guy down could work. After three weeks went by and he didn't say a word to me about it I asked him if he knew I did it. He said, "yes". That was it, "yes". Not, "thank you", not, " I appreciate you doing that for me", just, "yes" he knew I did it for him. It was as if he deserved and expected it. From that time out it's screw him, he can fend for himself, all I expected in return was a, "thank you", not a cut of his pay, not that he could do the same for me, just, "thank you", but it was too much to ask of him, so screw him. Then there's the guy who wants to take his pick of overtime. Low in seniority, doesn't want to work OT on certain tasks, but wants it on others. Screw him too. If he needed the work he'd want all he could get. Beggars can't be choosers. I find that most people's actions are a result of something that has happened to them somewhere down the line. Don't just blame the guy for what he does, maybe ask him if there's a reason for it.

Taking care of the younger guy? Paying it forward? I once took a day off so the next guy down could work. After three weeks went by and he didn't say a word to me about it I asked him if he knew I did it. He said, "yes". That was it, "yes". Not, "thank you", not, " I appreciate you doing that for me", just, "yes" he knew I did it for him. It was as if he deserved and expected it. From that time out it's screw him, he can fend for himself, all I expected in return was a, "thank you", not a cut of his pay, not that he could do the same for me, just, "thank you", but it was too much to ask of him, so screw him. Then there's the guy who wants to take his pick of overtime. Low in seniority, doesn't want to work OT on certain tasks, but wants it on others. Screw him too. If he needed the work he'd want all he could get. Beggars can't be choosers. I find that most people's actions are a result of something that has happened to them somewhere down the line. Don't just blame the guy for what he does, maybe ask him if there's a reason for it.
What DID you expect, a kiss on the lips ??? You must be a real joy at Christmas, keeping track of all those who did not call or come around and say 'THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU' . Apparently that one missed "thank you" really screwed up your life from that moment on. Try just helping someone out without expecting ANYTHING in return. It gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, it really does !!! If it don't, call Dr. Phil.