Yellow | The Senior guys don't love us

I'm quite sure it is an entirely different situation for dockman, but when 309 was a Roadway terminal the extra board was a first in first out wheel. When the merger occurred our extra board became a seniority (hog) board. A wheel allows ALL drivers on the wheel to work equally. I must be feeling a bit ill because I agree with turboj that seniority is for fringe benefits and bidding. I do NOT lord my seniority over junior men but I have a bid and I run it.

I started over 3 times in my 34 years at different carriers. So I do know what it is like at the bottom. Guess I learned real good about seniority. I guess you could go by non- union seniority, brow nose your way into more hours !!
It's called "taking care of the other guy". Repaying a kindness. Paying it forward. Didn't you have some others giving you a hand or advice or maybe dropping a trip to help you out when YOU were on the bottom of the totem pole? If you were or are working out of the Chicago barn, probably not, so I can understand why the idea is foreign to you. That is one place where it's all "dog eat dog". It's not like that everywhere.

Their is nothing wrong about using your whiskers to work.
I'm quite sure it is an entirely different situation for dockman, but when 309 was a Roadway terminal the extra board was a first in first out wheel. When the merger occurred our extra board became a seniority (hog) board. A wheel allows ALL drivers on the wheel to work equally. I must be feeling a bit ill because I agree with turboj that seniority is for fringe benefits and bidding. I do NOT lord my seniority over junior men but I have a bid and I run it.

What DID you expect, a kiss on the lips ??? You must be a real joy at Christmas, keeping track of all those who did not call or come around and say 'THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU' . Apparently that one missed "thank you" really screwed up your life from that moment on. Try just helping someone out without expecting ANYTHING in return. It gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, it really does !!! If it don't, call Dr. Phil.
"What did I expect?" A thank you. That's OK, I didn't have to give up a day's work for the man and his failure to say "thank you" cost him later. Then when he acted like he expected me to give it to him he really sealed it up. Anytime someone goes out of their way for me I make damn sure to show them I appreciate it, that was how I was brought up, maybe you were brought up thinking others have to divvy up for you. I'd bet that your failure to recognize those who helped you out over the years has cost you plenty.

Is that one of the "entitlement" things the Republicans keep talking about???

I agree with the wheel being the best way to run a fair extra board. I went to Denver in about 1990 to work for Northwest Transport (later re-named Nationsway), after Jones (JTL) closed. At that time they ran mostly all sleepers , pulling all doubles and triples and ran 99% of them out of Denver, gone for 7-10 days. When I signed on I was #935 on their true wheel open/sleeper board. You had to be avail. for a work call twice a day or you would be passed by and have to wait for the wheel to go all the way around again. I was surprised how well it worked. No bickering about seniority. Even at #935 I always got work every night I was home. When the work got a bit slow, the wheel slowed for everybody, no hog board. It was a good place to work, but the 58 mph co. speed limit (with tattle tales) was too much to take, especially in the mtns. I left & went to work for Yellow (big mistake) before moving on to another union co., retiring in fall of 2007 with 38 yrs. pd. in. Moral of story: I've paid my dues, I respect seniority, I hate hog boards, don't like sleepers, appreciate a helping hand, not afraid to admit I don't know everything, I respect the other drivers (especially the ones that run the mountains out west all the time!!)and it makes me feel good to help out a junior man even if I don't have to. I hate to see what the companies AND the union has become. End of story.

"What did I expect?" A thank you. That's OK, I didn't have to give up a day's work for the man and his failure to say "thank you" cost him later. Then when he acted like he expected me to give it to him he really sealed it up. Anytime someone goes out of their way for me I make damn sure to show them I appreciate it, that was how I was brought up, maybe you were brought up thinking others have to divvy up for you. I'd bet that your failure to recognize those who helped you out over the years has cost you plenty.

Is that one of the "entitlement" things the Republicans keep talking about???
I appreciate every thing people do for me and try to say "thanks" for it every time, but I also know that people have "bad days" and don't feel all that friendly towards anybody. (God knows, I've had plenty of them). On days like that, sometimes "doing the right thing" gets forgotten, although unintentional. I learned a long time ago in this business you can't be thin-skinned. Let the unimportant things slide. If someone intentionally and repeatedly screws you or talks bad about you, especially behind your back, that's a different story. Then it's time for a face-to-face, get it out in the open, and deal with it. I've done that in the past with a big tough dude that just loved to fight. He threatened to kill me more than once (and I believed he could and would), but we eventually became the best of friends because I guess he saw I respected him, but wouldn't back down and be intimidated like others were. In MOST cases, you can either carry a grudge forever or just get over it or deal with it and go on. As for the "entitlement" comment, I don't know WHAT that was about. You must be having a "bad day". LOL

Also blame all the ones that didn't vote at all. Just look at the turnout at the latest election. Most of those that didn't vote will never admit it. I don't know how they look at themselves in the mirror.

ummm- have you looked at them?? Seems to me they don't even own a mirror the way some of them look...LMAO