FedEx Freight | The Union Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There you go!! What has what kind of car your planning on buying have to do with the Fed Ex Union debate, personally I think you should buy a Yugo!!! Fits your personality to a T!

Simple if you follow along. Some people refuse to do business with union companies whenever they have an alternative. That should be a valid concern.
Volvo just announced that it was moving a plant to the US, creating thousands of jobs here.....oh yeah and they are moving it to a RTW state and are thumbing their nose at the UAW. So, Volvo just moved up that list of possibilities for me. Made in America, Union-Free. How much better can it get?

Simple if you follow along. Some people refuse to do business with union companies whenever they have an alternative. That should be a valid concern.
Volvo just announced that it was moving a plant to the US, creating thousands of jobs here.....oh yeah and they are moving it to a RTW state and are thumbing their nose at the UAW. So, Volvo just moved up that list of possibilities for me. Made in America, Union-Free. How much better can it get?

I think you know just because they are moving it to a rtw state does not automatically keep the union out, if the employees they hire want the union.

It's a very bid concern. I know customers that will not use unionized carriers. And that list grows larger each day.

I think you know just because they are moving it to a rtw state does not automatically keep the union out, if the employees they hire want the union.

Of course it doesn't automatically keep the union out. However, it certainly doesn't strengthen the union's position.

In fairness, I also realize there are folks who will only do business with union companies given the option. The longterm impact of such blind following is production of absolute crap quality (because your customers are buying anyway)....for instance see Big 3 quality of the mid-70s to late-80's. See also the wonderfully engineered machines that H-D puts out (/sarcasm) and the resulting lobbying for import tariffs on imports over 600cc back in the 80's. You know, if you can't compete with quality and value, tax the crap out of the imports. The unintended consequence was moving manufacturing plants here and incentivizing the japanese to enter the cruiser market...stealing a good portion of the cruiser market that otherwise was H-D's playground.

Last edited:
Of course it doesn't automatically keep the union out. However, it certainly doesn't strengthen the union's position.

In fairness, I also realize there are folks who will only do business with union companies given the option. The longterm impact of such blind following is production of absolute crap quality (because your customers are buying anyway)....for instance see Big 3 quality of the mid-70s to late-80's. See also the wonderfully engineered machines that H-D puts out (/sarcasm) and the resulting lobbying for import tariffs on imports over 600cc back in the 80's. You know, if you can't compete with quality and value, tax the crap out of the imports. The unintended consequence was moving manufacturing plants here and incentivizing the japanese to enter the cruiser market...stealing a good portion of the cruiser market that otherwise was H-D's playground.

You can have all the foreign junk you can buy. I refuse to buy any of it when i have the choice. I don't speak Chinese or any other language they already own the biggest part of this countries debt. Edit i think Japan now owns the majority of our debt.

Been

Been riding and racing H-D's for years with no problems other then ones I have created on myself! I have a Chevy pickup that I refuse to get rid of that has 250000 miles on it with only a fuel pump and brakes and a couple batteries, I'd say it's a pretty good product, I know of several running around with the same mileage on them ! Kinda blows that therory about Union made cars and products don't you think!

Been riding and racing H-D's for years with no problems other then ones I have created on myself! I have a Chevy pickup that I refuse to get rid of that has 250000 miles on it with only a fuel pump and brakes and a couple batteries, I'd say it's a pretty good product, I know of several running around with the same mileage on them ! Kinda blows that therory about Union made cars and products don't you think!

Nope, doesn't blow that theory out of the water at all. Every once in awhile man bites dog. Just look at any long term product reliability satisfaction survey and see where Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, GM and Ford fall overall relative to Honda, Toyota, Acura, Lexus...

I own a Ford motorhome, Corvette weekend car, and a Triumph motorcycle. All those vehicles are low mileage weekend/special occasion vehicles where I don't believe I had a better option for the niche I wanted to fill. However, I don't believe for a minute that any of them will last as many trouble free miles as my Japanese brand vehicles.

My father-in-law has a Chevy truck, he thinks it's a great truck (200,000+ miles) even though it's on it's 3rd transmission and that one's getting ready to fail . Just google 700R4 transmission issues. As far as H-D's go, customer satisfaction is high with the brand because of low expectations and a refusal to consider most anything else. Talk to some Victory riders, ask them how come they didn't buy a H-D?

As to racing H-D's....there isn't a class out there that I am aware of that doesn't handicap other makes to give H-D's a chance/edge. XR's are the only quality Harleys made.

It's a very bid concern. I know customers that will not use unionized carriers. And that list grows larger each day.

My bs meter is pegged on this one.

Train, you are "off the rails" on this one. And Crazy has quite the nose to sense BS.

You would be hard pressed to find ANY business in the US that does not use any Union carrier. If you could provide just one company name, I'd bet I could prove you wrong. Wanna play?

Nope, doesn't blow that theory out of the water at all. Every once in awhile man bites dog. Just look at any long term product reliability satisfaction survey and see where Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, GM and Ford fall overall relative to Honda, Toyota, Acura, Lexus...

I own a Ford motorhome, Corvette weekend car, and a Triumph motorcycle. All those vehicles are low mileage weekend/special occasion vehicles where I don't believe I had a better option for the niche I wanted to fill. However, I don't believe for a minute that any of them will last as many trouble free miles as my Japanese brand vehicles.

My father-in-law has a Chevy truck, he thinks it's a great truck (200,000+ miles) even though it's on it's 3rd transmission and that one's getting ready to fail . Just google 700R4 transmission issues. As far as H-D's go, customer satisfaction is high with the brand because of low expectations and a refusal to consider most anything else. Talk to some Victory riders, ask them how come they didn't buy a H-D?

As to racing H-D's....there isn't a class out there that I am aware of that doesn't handicap other makes to give H-D's a chance/edge. XR's are the only quality Harleys made.

Simple fix
Sell all your problem children and use the vote with your feet slogan.
Walk everywhere and make sure you have foreign made shoes on.
Maybe a Victory rider will stop and give you a lift........

Just look at any long term product reliability satisfaction survey and see where Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, GM and Ford fall overall relative to Honda, Toyota, Acura, Lexus...

You could also take a driver satisfaction survey of YRC, ABF, Holland, New Penn, and Standard Forwarding drivers......Compared to O.D, Saia, Conway, Fedex, and Estes drivers.

Browsing these forums I think we all know which group of these drivers actually enjoy working for there company.

Other than UPS parcel there is not 1 other company represented by the Teamsters that i would ever work for!

Can I get a AMEN!!!

Train, you are "off the rails" on this one. And Crazy has quite the nose to sense BS.

You would be hard pressed to find ANY business in the US that does not use any Union carrier. If you could provide just one company name, I'd bet I could prove you wrong. Wanna play?

SwampRatt,

Can I play? Can I play? Huh? You are "all wet" on this one SwampRatt. While I am out reading meters, or washing tractors every day I have the opportunity to interact with traffic managers as well. To some it is a very real consideration. Just as there are mentalities that will only buy Union-made or will boycott company X, Y or Z there are those who will not do business with those entities when presented with reasonable alternatives.

FedEx and Con-Way collectively have more revenue than all the Union carriers combined.

Even if you don't have any day to day interaction with the decision makers at these shippers doesn't it stand to reason that there is a percentage that won't use UPSF, YRCW, or ABFS because they are union? Just as there are those who won't use FedEx, CNWY, ODFL, etc. because they aren't union?

Why do you think some crap can like YRCW or ABFS has any business?

Last edited:
Simple fix
Sell all your problem children and use the vote with your feet slogan.
Walk everywhere and make sure you have foreign made shoes on.
Maybe a Victory rider will stop and give you a lift........

For my everyday vehicles I, my wife and my two girls all drive imports. As to my shoes, they are made in the USA. ;)

For my everyday vehicles I, my wife and my two girls all drive imports. As to my shoes, they are made in the USA. ;)
You are ALWAYS welcome to play. Really!

But the challenge to Train was to come up with a U.S. company that does not use ANY Union carrier. Let's play...

I will start with the low hanging fruit.....EX Industries.:mf swordfight:

I thought there were rules against posting real Shippers' names. I just re-read the rules posted here and didn't see such thing....however, given my recent "no questions asked" 10 day ban from an un-named overzealous moderator who misinterpreted a post of mine. I'm not taking any chances.

Last edited:
SwampRatt,

Can I play? Can I play? Huh? You are "all wet" on this one SwampRatt. While I am out reading meters, or washing tractors every day I have the opportunity to interact with traffic managers as well. To some it is a very real consideration. Just as there are mentalities that will only buy Union-made or will boycott company X, Y or Z there are those who will not do business with those entities when presented with reasonable alternatives.

FedEx and Con-Way collectively have more revenue than all the Union carriers combined.

Even if you don't have any day to day interaction with the decision makers at these shippers doesn't it stand to reason that there is a percentage that won't use UPSF, YRCW, or ABFS because they are union? Just as there are those who won't use FedEx, CNWY, ODFL, etc. because they aren't union?

Why do you think some crap can like YRCW or ABFS has any business?

So you don't have any proof to your claims your just assuming???? Know what happens when people assume?

Status
Not open for further replies.