FedEx Freight | Top rate start? What about the old timers?

PurpleSmurf

G’nap!!! G’nap!!!
Credits
So FedEx moved everybody up to top rate…talent retention is what they said. Ok, that’s fine…what about me? Guys like me have been here well over a decade. No hazmat pay for covid, benefits getting worse and worse, etc. what will FedEx do for those who have been here for an eon. Missed family dinners, missed homework help, late to my own birthday celebration years ago with friends. Dedicated to this job, shouldn’t the job show return appreciation?

I don't get what the issue is. It's not like they're bumping everybody up to 4 weeks vacation or more sick time. It's not like they're pushing you to the bottom of the bid to retain talent.

I've missed plenty of events, my benefits are getting worse and I didn't get any hazard pay either.

What is it that you think FedEx should be doing for people that have been here for eons? You're time in gets you first picks of available assignments. It gets you first pick of scheduled vacation. It gets you more vacation time.

Seems fair to me.

XPO DID the same, a guy off the street today makes the same as me, been here 35 years. Oh well, we need a way to find, hire and keep the “Good” drivers. I’m all for it then.

I don't get what the issue is. It's not like they're bumping everybody up to 4 weeks vacation or more sick time. It's not like they're pushing you to the bottom of the bid to retain talent.

I've missed plenty of events, my benefits are getting worse and I didn't get any hazard pay either.

What is it that you think FedEx should be doing for people that have been here for eons? You're time in gets you first picks of available assignments. It gets you first pick of scheduled vacation. It gets you more vacation time.

Seems fair to me.
Basically this.

Why all of a sudden are tneured employees entitled to something "extra"? As a former tenured driver, I'd have had zero issues with a new to the company, but experienced driver starting at top pay.
Driving is a trade job. Same as a plumber, welder, electrician, ect. Go try hiring a welder with 15yrs of experience, and say you're starting him at the bottom of a pay grade. He's going to give you the finger.

Don't get me wrong. All drivers at Fx need a 10% pay bump, but has less to do with tenure as it does getting Fx guys back in line with COL and inflation, and is irrelevant to this discussion.

Fx has taken the first step towards acquiring tallent with the hire on at tope rate.
Now, the next step is to take care of the tenured guys, and retain the tallent by dropping the lowest 2 GDP located pay grades, and doing a minimum 10% raise.

Let Fx fvck around, and announce a shameful $1.10hr raise this year, and you're going to see a driver exodus.

Basically this.

Why all of a sudden are tneured employees entitled to something "extra"? As a former tenured driver, I'd have had zero issues with a new to the company, but experienced driver starting at top pay.
Driving is a trade job. Same as a plumber, welder, electrician, ect. Go try hiring a welder with 15yrs of experience, and say you're starting him at the bottom of a pay grade. He's going to give you the finger.

Don't get me wrong. All drivers at Fx need a 10% pay bump, but has less to do with tenure as it does getting Fx guys back in line with COL and inflation, and is irrelevant to this discussion.

Fx has taken the first step towards acquiring tallent with the hire on at tope rate.
Now, the next step is to take care of the tenured guys, and retain the tallent by dropping the lowest 2 GDP located pay grades, and doing a minimum 10% raise.

Let Fx fvck around, and announce a shameful $1.10hr raise this year, and you're going to see a driver exodus.

I understand all of that, but I don't get why some senior guys act like they're losing something or getting less than over this expedited bump to top rate.

In my opinion, it's a step in the right direction with a "rising tide lifts all ships" type of deal. I could understand getting mad about a sign on bonus or guaranteed minimum pay, but that's not what's happening.

It's a silly thing to be offended by.

Is this top rate bump in effect at all service centers or just certain areas? I didn't hear nothin' at my location.

I dont have a problem with starting them at top pay if they have the experience to justify it. I do have a problem with the guy was hired off the street and can't back up getting top pay. Also, the sign on bonuses need to stop, thats a clear indiction our compensation isn't enough.. The thing is our to pay isn't competitive and our benefits suck and people know it. You are not going to steal drivers from other ltls, that can be productive day 1, offering less pay and time off than they already get plus expensive healthcare that doesn't cover anything. Fedex needs to bring us all up with a strong compensation package, but they won't and they will start to loosing drivers faster than they can get them.

So FedEx moved everybody up to top rate…talent retention is what they said. Ok, that’s fine…what about me? Guys like me have been here well over a decade. No hazmat pay for covid, benefits getting worse and worse, etc. what will FedEx do for those who have been here for an eon. Missed family dinners, missed homework help, late to my own birthday celebration years ago with friends. Dedicated to this job, shouldn’t the job show return appreciation?
Our seniority is what retains the rest of us. Better runs, more vacation time with better dates to choose from. They don’t need to offer you any extra pay, because your seniority allows you to make more than you would get almost anywhere else. New guys with no seniority have nothing to lose by quitting to try another company if they don’t like it here.

I understand all of that, but I don't get why some senior guys act like they're losing something or getting less than over this expedited bump to top rate.

In my opinion, it's a step in the right direction with a "rising tide lifts all ships" type of deal. I could understand getting mad about a sign on bonus or guaranteed minimum pay, but that's not what's happening.

It's a silly thing to be offended by.
The rising tide isn’t raising all ships tho…

So what I think I hear from PS is not so much a gripe about new guys making top scale as much as what about the guys who have been carrying this operation for years! Nonsense raises and the usual :shit:ty treatment. We need to remember that when the teamsters held sway everyone got paid top scale. I shaped at many teamster jobs in the 70s, always making top scale. The problem now is the teamsters are no longer a threat to the top dogs at FXF. They prove that every year with the garbage raises. You realize that regional carriers are paying 4 to 5 cents a mile more than FXF! Small timers, amazing. Unfortunately the company is being run by college graduates. Albeit, the ones who graduated at the very bottom of their class! I've heard many high school graduates say on their way to college, I can't wait to get my business degree so I can go to work for a trucking company! So, yeh, none of them ever said that. So that's where we are at, people who don't know the business, stuck in a job they don't want but in charge nonetheless. God Bless us all. It's not going to get better anytime soon PS.

The chirping says wait until October. We'll see what happens.

At bare minimum, it shows that FedEx is realizing they're having a problem with driver retention.

Here's hoping to beneficial changes.
I’m not bothered by them starting at top pay, everyone else is.I wish we had a 20 or 25 year pay scale or something like that for the long timers.

Since when did they bump everybody to top rate?

About a month or so ago for us.
You realize that regional carriers are paying 4 to 5 cents a mile more than FXF! Small timers, amazing. Unfortunately the company is being run by college graduates.

Who pays 5 CPM more? Most I've seen is 2-3 CPM. Those same carriers pay a lot less for task pay and won't pay for delay because your load isn't ready. OD pays 8 dollars for drops and hooks. Saia pays 15 minutes of your hourly rate.

I've spoken to a lot of companies because I'm curious to see what they offer. I've been underwhelmed.

If they got the insurances under control, they'd be ahead of the game, but from info I've received from other companies it's all the same and in some companies it's worse/more expensive. The only company I spoke to that offered better/cheaper insurance is PepsiCo, but the pay was a lot lower than FedEx. I was making more on year 1 as a CDSA.