FedEx Freight | Top rate start? What about the old timers?

My original reply was to PS and how I got how he felt about what about us guys. You know the poor bastards who survived AF to FX to FXF West or God forbid Watkins to FXF. We survived all our fearless leaders Nonsense and hare brained schemes. Did our job day in and day out. Now when they make more money than they have ever before, on your back and mine by the way, they are no longer concerned with paying commensurate with your skills. If you can find Steven Newhouse's book on the Watkins deal, you will understand why FXF won't pay anymore. Someone on these boards posted not too long ago that the CPM raise coming up would be half a penny. That should tell you all you need to know. We are just a number and our value is going down, once a year.
I bought that book years ago. Very insightful.

22 years here. I don’t expect any bump in pay. With this companies track record why would you? I’m just trying to do my best and ignore what all the other LTL’s are doing to show appreciation for their people in these times and just be happy with what i have here in contrast. This is still a decent job not including the health care part, that part is ridiculously bad and maybe they’ll address it hopefully. If they don’t they’re gonna continue to not only have staffing issues but also retention issues. The balls in their court

22 years here. I don’t expect any bump in pay. With this companies track record why would you? I’m just trying to do my best and ignore what all the other LTL’s are doing to show appreciation for their people in these times and just be happy with what i have here in contrast. This is still a decent job not including the health care part, that part is ridiculously bad and maybe they’ll address it hopefully. If they don’t they’re gonna continue to not only have staffing issues but also retention issues. The balls in their court

I don't see any other LTL companies doing anything for their current staff. Everything is for the people they're trying to get in the door. That's why FedEx had to bump them to top rate. Every other LTL company is willing to start you at top rate with a year of LTL experience.

The only employees (at least on these boards) that seem to be happy are the folks over at pittohio. Everybody else seems to be as angry and miserable as we are.

About a month or so ago for us.

Who pays 5 CPM more? Most I've seen is 2-3 CPM. Those same carriers pay a lot less for task pay and won't pay for delay because your load isn't ready. OD pays 8 dollars for drops and hooks. Saia pays 15 minutes of your hourly rate.

I've spoken to a lot of companies because I'm curious to see what they offer. I've been underwhelmed.

If they got the insurances under control, they'd be ahead of the game, but from info I've received from other companies it's all the same and in some companies it's worse/more expensive. The only company I spoke to that offered better/cheaper insurance is PepsiCo, but the pay was a lot lower than FedEx. I was making more on year 1 as a CDSA.
Saia pays 27 minutes. $12.xx. BTW I left soda pop for ltl after 20 years. Insurance is better & cheaper. Able to work 50% more for 2x pay. Pepsi offers $59k here, I’m over $70 ytd. I will disclaim that I’m second senior Linehaul.

AND it costs their employees ZERO a week for premiums. And 6 weeks vacation after 20 years. And they are making 30.17 an hour . And they made 826 million as a company….how does regional Pitt Ohio do so much more for drivers than worldwide conglomerate FedEx? FedEx needs to step up to the plate. Or sadly I may be on the other team soon..
Because they, like Dayton, want to properly move freight for profit. Your company, my company & others want to show #s that entice stock purchase.

Our seniority is what retains the rest of us. Better runs, more vacation time with better dates to choose from. They don’t need to offer you any extra pay, because your seniority allows you to make more than you would get almost anywhere else. New guys with no seniority have nothing to lose by quitting to try another company if they don’t like it here.
Depends on where you are. I have 23 years in the city, number 14 on a board of 90, and I still can't get a regular peddle route because the give them to the new guys. The new hires get treated much better than the old guys. I guess they figure we have been here too long to leave, and they need to treat the new guys really nice so they will stay.

The last we heard. They wanted us up to 87 city when daily plan calls for 60-62. They said they wanted 30 more road which I think we are close to 100 or so. Everyone at top scale but they want to cut as much o.t. as possible. I don't think we'll get more than .75/hr raise unless they find a way to cut ALL o.t. across the U.S. Our place has no desire to get us up to what other ltl's are at with pay. And we're half an hour or more from everything. Nobody wants to drive farther for less pay!

The old guys didn't get anything because they're not going anywhere. FedEx is only willing to give as much as the competition to retain drivers. The people that have been here less than 2 years because they're the ones leaving.

In 2021, everyone is just a number. The only numbers that matter are metrics and profits. Show me a company that treats you like family and I'll show you a company that can offer anything more than that.

The raise at every LTL company sucks. I've spoken to a lot of them during this craze for drivers and they're not offering much. Put in applications just to get their attention and ask what they're offering. I promise you'll feel the same way I do. They'll be talking and you'll be thinking "that's it?".

That's just the way it is now.
Actually there’s a lot of 15+ years drivers leaving. I know at least 20 drivers that have left with 15-20 + years in.

I have 17 years in. The only senior drivers we have leaving are the ones retiring. I want to transfer but it's more because the city itself here sucks. Plus the o.t. I like getting the 15-20 hours a week o.t. They want to cut all of our o.t. and if they do that's more incentive for me to transfer.

Depends on where you are. I have 23 years in the city, number 14 on a board of 90, and I still can't get a regular peddle route because the give them to the new guys. The new hires get treated much better than the old guys. I guess they figure we have been here too long to leave, and they need to treat the new guys really nice so they will stay.
Sounds like the 50s, nepotism, brothers-in-law, friends of the boss, got the gravy, seniority got the leftovers.