Yellow | Trump bailed out YRC

.....news flash.... non unions pay all drivers the same too.....

No sir. They don't. They are free to start you at whatever wage you negotiate at hiring. You are free to negotiate raises as you wish. The vast majority, with the same amount of time at the company, will make the same rate but there are exceptions.

Not talking about new hires and the geographical differences we have going on now but no way should there be a 11 dollar an hour swing. Now they have lowered and raised paycap few times to keep it shrouded in mystery. As I am sitting in platform engineering class..no raise inferred or expected. Lucky plucked from a few from across the country. Has to do w recent layoffs. No I am not going to be a platform engineer at the end of class lol other duties as assigned

Last edited:
Umm since I am the lone female in a male dominated field yes. We all need to be paid the same period #over it yes thankfully they do run their f ing mouths. Not like I haven't been knowing for years and azz wipe My numbers run circles round their azzes. I'm over it 10 years ago over it lol. Our numbers only controlled shift bids...I ended that this year. We aren't having those anymore not mandatory anyway.
I really was not considering that factor.

I don't think Unions work for everyone. personally I couldn't work for one now. Used to be a Steward IAM. God don't tell Tri...not great w lunches or breaks. Only thing saving me is living in a RTW state or my sup could crawl up my bum 🤔 but I take my half hour ot almost every day 😅 or am I on TB lol at my desk 😅

Unfortunately having employees that perform same functions need to be paid the same. unfortunately people can’t keep their mouth shut about their pay and this causes employees to feel they are being taken advantage of when they feel they are worth more, which in turn ruins morale and productivity.Unfortunately productivity can’t be rewarded proportionally to the worker. One good thing about mileage pay is the hard runner will make more per hour than the other who is always in the truck stops.
Catch 22 all around.
WOW, I should
Unfortunately having employees that perform same functions need to be paid the same. unfortunately people can’t keep their mouth shut about their pay and this causes employees to feel they are being taken advantage of when they feel they are worth more, which in turn ruins morale and productivity.Unfortunately productivity can’t be rewarded proportionally to the worker. One good thing about mileage pay is the hard runner will make more per hour than the other who is always in the truck stops.
Catch 22 all around.
WOW, I should know one should never discuss their salaries with others.
Years ago, I had a friend whose boss called him in and told him what a fine employee he was, you're doing a great job, people like you make our company.
We are going to reward you with a .10 per hour raise.
As you know, we never discuss our pay with others.
My friend said, "Oh hell no, I'm just ashamed of it as you are"
They called him in the next morning and fired him.

WOW, I should

WOW, I should know one should never discuss their salaries with others.
Years ago, I had a friend whose boss called him in and told him what a fine employee he was, you're doing a great job, people like you make our company.
We are going to reward you with a .10 per hour raise.
As you know, we never discuss our pay with others.
My friend said, "Oh hell no, I'm just ashamed of it as you are"
They called him in the next morning and fired him.
So your contention is that he was fired solely for his statement?

No sir. They don't. They are free to start you at whatever wage you negotiate at hiring. You are free to negotiate raises as you wish. The vast majority, with the same amount of time at the company, will make the same rate but there are exceptions.
These bigger LTL carriers most certainly do not negotiate with drivers, they have pay scales just like the union companies.....

All great points here..
This is where my personal philosophy is very different from many here.
I do not think all drivers are equal. Paying equally is a race to mediocracy and all too often death to a company.
I suspect the culture at ABF is better than Yellow (I may be wrong as I never worked there)
But there is a reason things are somewhat better at ABF.
Culture equates to something..
I much prefer to compensate better employees for performing better work..
So, with that mind set, a 20 y/o full of P&V and can run like a Deer, should be paid more than a 50 y/o, who put 30 years in and the body is all beat up and can't do what he used to? Was told by a Steward back in the 80's, don't be a dog or a dasher, keep it in the middle, you want to run like a fool, buy your own truck

These bigger LTL carriers most certainly do not negotiate with drivers, they have pay scales just like the union companies.....
They do have pay scales and they can and do negotiate with drivers, depending on their current need. Not every driver with 20years LTL P&D experience, 1M miles accident free gets hired by a new carrier and starts at the bottom of the pay/vacation scale.

My experience tells me that there really is no exception to the top scale rate, it's where you start and how quickly you ascend to the top scale that has some variance.

So, with that mind set, a 20 y/o full of P&V and can run like a Deer, should be paid more than a 50 y/o, who put 30 years in and the body is all beat up and can't do what he used to? Was told by a Steward back in the 80's, don't be a dog or a dasher, keep it in the middle, you want to run like a fool, buy your own truck

That depends on the job. Sometimes you are paying for production, sometimes you are paying for experience. Oftentimes some combination of both.

What do you think?
Well, my thought is that maybe there were other reasons for terminating him besides the comment. Even in Right to Work states, there has to be cause to terminate someone I would think. Maybe there was more than just the comment and it was construed to be insubordination, I don’t know.

Well, my thought is that maybe there were other reasons for terminating him besides the comment. Even in Right to Work states, there has to be cause to terminate someone I would think. Maybe there was more than just the comment and it was construed to be insubordination, I don’t know.

Nope. Employees at will can be fired without cause at any time. What you can't do is fire them for a cause that is against the law.

This part of your comment makes perfect sense chappey!
"don't be a dog or a dasher, keep it in the middle, you want to run like a fool, buy your own truck"
And that's part of the reason I've been advocating for others on another forum to stop and take a lunch and normal breaks instead of running like fools all day long. Oh well, I tried. :idunno:

Nope. Employees at will can be fired without cause at any time. What you can't do is fire them for a cause that is against the law.
Well I am pretty sure firing someone for discussing pay in Colorado would get you jammed up and we are a RTW state. How horrible 😢 if not . Seems like some people on here just don't give a F about people. I have a rep as being cold hearted. No wonder the world is jacked. Anyway. I can get out of here class is done. I can go kill some brain cells hope everyone stays safe. With old man on swings no dinner duty for me!!!

This part of your comment makes perfect sense chappey!
"don't be a dog or a dasher, keep it in the middle, you want to run like a fool, buy your own truck"
And that's part of the reason I've been advocating for others on another forum to stop and take a lunch and normal breaks instead of running like fools all day long. Oh well, I tried. :idunno:
Tri, thanks, I've seen it and I'm sure you have to, guys running threw they lunch and breaks to beat the clock, work 7 get paid for 8, heroes until they get in an accident or get hurt, I don't get it.