FedEx Freight | Unionize

Apples to oranges. UPS parcel competition is FedEx ground. Hit the back button twice to see how much completion FedEx freight has.

UPS got in bed with the teamsters at a time when they had no choice, I researched the history. Look into it and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also, the teamsters didn't help the hundreds of employees laid off in Taylor, PA when UPS decided to do a workers advisement.

You need more than what you're arguing here if you want to sway anyone. You need to think in terms of what other companies are offering and the UPS thing is old.
well a lot of fedex drivers left and went to UPS Parcel. So the UPS thing is not old. It's actually pretty relevant.

well a lot of fedex drivers left and went to UPS Parcel. So the UPS thing is not old. It's actually pretty relevant.

Anybody that wanted to go to UPS already went. It's old and FedEx will never have the relationship with the teamsters that UPS has and people at FedEx despise the teamsters. Read the room, people aren't going with this.

The union dues that I pay monthly ($65.00 per month) are not used for political donations as some may think. The Teamsters have a PAC called DRIVE that you can make personal donations to, but this is a choice you make and is not required.

19BE7F8B-4BFC-4A46-B017-08AAE4468B35.md.png
Why can’t the other union ltl company left standing (from my tax dollars) contribute to the pension fund? Am I mistaken or did yrc finally start paying into the fund again? You would think they could at least buy some decent equipment with all the money they are not paying in

Here is what I am not able to follow: most union ltl carriers with exception of ABF and Tforce (we will see how they fare) have either gone belly up or were bailed out from that fate. Union ltl carriers dominated the industry 30 years ago with the exception of AF. Why go backwards? If unions are good for ltl then why didn’t they flourish and continue to dominate?

Why can’t the other union ltl company left standing (from my tax dollars) contribute to the pension fund? Am I mistaken or did yrc finally start paying into the fund again? You would think they could at least buy some decent equipment with all the money they are not paying in

Here is what I am not able to follow: most union ltl carriers with exception of ABF and Tforce (we will see how they fare) have either gone belly up or were bailed out from that fate. Union ltl carriers dominated the industry 30 years ago with the exception of AF. Why go backwards? If unions are good for ltl then why didn’t they flourish and continue to dominate?union

Here is what I am not able to follow: most union ltl carriers with exception of ABF and Tforce (we will see how they fare) have either gone belly up or were bailed out from that fate. Union ltl carriers dominated the industry 30 years ago with the exception of AF. Why go backwards? If unions are good for ltl then why didn’t they flourish and continue to dominate?

Reason why you ask? Its the thousand upon thousands of dollars that corporations dumped into anti-union propaganda. There were only half rights in the propaganda. The rest of it were lies.

A one-man hit job by Bill Zollars and a recession at the worse possible time was the downfall of the YRCW companies. I know the recession affected every company, but not every company was in the middle of merging as one company when the recession hit. Not just two companies merging, but five total companies merging. When these companies were operating separately but still owned by Yellow, they were doing just fine until the recession and the merging. Check out the operating ratio for 2004 and 2005 when Roadway Express was reported separately as well as the regionals (Holland, NewPenn, and Reddaway).Then compare that to 2008 and 2009 (after merger of Roadway/Yellow). The recession was hard on all, but especially hard on the YRCW companies because of this poorly timed merger.

E7D87F1F-8CEA-4686-B94B-069BC5497A15.md.jpg 9E4788AF-240C-42B3-8DBE-EE009924EBE3.md.jpg 9811635D-AE6C-425B-B6FC-6D5553257E90.md.jpg

Oh I don't know about that. Never say never. I borrowed money to purchase my house 43 years ago. That house is today worth more than 10 times what I paid for it. :smile new:
Just out of curiosity, what was the interest rate back then (1979) for a home loan? If I remember correctly, it was around 12%. Can you imagine buying a home today at that interest rate?

Last edited:
That's true, but I suppose I should have said is borrowing more money than your business is worth....
And, with a B minus or even a C rating. The money Zollars was borrowing was at an inflated interest rate because of their poor credit rating if I remember correctly. Borrowing that kind of money at inflated interest rates is extremely risky to say the least. The out come is proof positive of that.

Jut out of curiosity, what was the interest rate back then (1979) for a home loan? If I remember correctly, it was around 12%. Can you imagine buying a home today at that interest rate?
If I remember correctly I got my original mortgage at 9% in mid-1978 when I got my commitment. Rates began rising shortly after that. As time went by and I built equity and interest rates lowered I refinanced at lower rates and ultimately refinanced with a home equity loan which bypassed normal mortgage loan fees.
That's true, but I suppose I should have said is borrowing more money than your business is worth....
Nothing wrong with borrowing to pay for an asset which will increase in value (home, etc.) but borrowing to pay for an asset that decreases in value (automobile, etc.) is something I never did.

I expect a return on my investment. You don't get a portion of my paycheck unless I get MORE back in return. Period. Bottom line.

Prove to me that I'm not simply giving you MY money that will eventually trickle up to the Democrat coffers.

The stage is definitely ripe for the union to come in, but I expect results, and people held accountable if they are not met.

Otherwise, FU. Keep walking, Jack.
Also, the teamsters didn't help the hundreds of employees laid off in Taylor, PA when UPS decided to do a workers advisement.
That was at the Dunmore location next to ww Norton it used to be Emery. Not the package division in Taylor….