ABF | Update on Discharge tied to Fred

Never said teamsters are lazy. If I did that would include me. I think your misconstruing what I'm saying. All I'm saying is a new employee walks in to a shop and adapts to whatever the rules are. An employee that's been with the company 20 + years has a bigger issue with any type of change. For example, combining breaks, 10 min breaks, logging breaks on PDA , ect,,,, an old hands first response is " that bull crap, it's none of their buisness. We shouldn't have to do this, we never used to do it that way." As a new hire would just do it and roll on his way without bitching. That's what I mean by adjusting to change. I see it everyday

The problem with that Rollin is you start down the proverbial slipper slope. Suppose every new employee accepted less and less benefits? How long would it take before new employees stopped wanting to work for that company? Or how long would it take before the company had only new employees? I understand what you are saying and that “it has always been this way” is just an irrational choice not to change; but there does have to be a line drawn somewhere. At some point employees have to stand up and say “enough” the work or risk is not worth the reward or payment. And I hope that we have reached that point.

The problem with that Rollin is you start down the proverbial slipper slope. Suppose every new employee accepted less and less benefits? How long would it take before new employees stopped wanting to work for that company? Or how long would it take before the company had only new employees? I understand what you are saying and that “it has always been this way” is just an irrational choice not to change; but there does have to be a line drawn somewhere. At some point employees have to stand up and say “enough” the work or risk is not worth the reward or payment. And I hope that we have reached that point.

At Velocity Centers casual Dock workers only make around $13. a hour starting out... Not sure exact amount, I don't know how they are ever expect to hire new employees at that rate!!!

The problem with making $12 and $13 an hour is
$12x40x52=$24,960 a year
$13x40x52=$27,040 a year
The pay is not worth the risk. There are too many other ways to make more money without taking all the risk associated with working on the dock. Examples would be selling over the internet, making crafts, picking up metal or scrap, working as a bar tender, etc. That is just my option; but I have not made under $40,000 a year over 20 years.

The turnover rate was high with the part timers plus they destroyed the freight. I can't see men lumping their ass off long term for 12 bucks an hour in the heat or freezing cold

$12 or even $14 an hour is not even a living wage. Just what do they expect to get for that kind of money?